What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kindle and ibooks.

madinmex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just purchased the Ipad and really impressed.

Two main questions. The main reason for the purchase is for ebooks. I have downloaded the Kindle app. and is synced.

I assume I have to make an account with Amazon to purchase and download the books through the Kindle app ? .

My language is English but live outside the USA. Can I now purchase ebooks through Itunes. I have read that this was prohibited ? I have version 3.2.2 (Ipad)

Off topic.. I see there is to be an update for Ipad. Would that be a paid update ?

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No payed updates so just be sure your up to date. Then go to the app store and download the iBooks app. You can purchase off the itunes store from there. I think you will have a better user experiance reading books off iBooks than the kindle app.

OP
madinmex

madinmex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No payed updates so just be sure your up to date. Then go to the app store and download the iBooks app. You can purchase off the itunes store from there. I think you will have a better user experiance reading books off iBooks than the kindle app.

Thanks Dannyboy :) I do have both the apps synced (love variety) but was unsure about making a separate account with Amazon. Wasn't sure if there was an agreement between itunes and Amazon where (for example) I just used my itunes account to pay for both.

What really bugs me is that my itunes is in English but account in Spanish ! so unless I have an interpreter it gets confusing :confused: ( I know "learn Spanish" ;) )

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Yes, you do need to set up a separate account with Amazon to buy Kindle-formatted books. While I will agree that iBooks had a slightly better looking user interface, no one can touch Amazon in terms of content and at the end of the day, that is what you are really looking for in an overall "reading experience". But as good as the iBooks app looks, it does not make up for the fact that their selection as pretty poor by comparison. The Kindle app is very functional as does the job quite well.

OP
madinmex

madinmex

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes, you do need to set up a separate account with Amazon to buy Kindle-formatted books. While I will agree that iBooks had a slightly better looking user interface, no one can touch Amazon in terms of content and at the end of the day, that is what you are really looking for in an overall "reading experience". But as good as the iBooks app looks, it does not make up for the fact that their selection as pretty poor by comparison. The Kindle app is very functional as does the job quite well.

Thanks (x2) will sign up with them :)

Luke Bizzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Agreed. I have readers from several of the booksellers, tried them and found the Kindle to be the best of the lot also. They have gotten it right, IMO. For those who haven't yet tried the Kindle reader, I highly recommend it

hdunnigan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
kindle on iPad -- best of both worlds

I am using download and reading books from both stores: iBooks and Kindle, which means using both apps/readers. I already had an Amazon account, so that was not an issue. Amazon has a great selection, and I am happy to have the extra variety. Try Kindle-on-iPad if you haven't yet.

Most reactions

Latest posts