What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New way to have fun with i books

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know wether it's new for you or not , but for me it's great...

I downloaded user manuals from my pc,for my cybershot camera,Sony hifi system and lg tv .I added them through I tunes to my. I books and I am reading them ...it's fantastic ...all of them are in PDF format..and then I e mailed one of manual using I books :) wao . Can i download prd forma manuals from web directly to I pad ? If yes then how can I move them in i books , as i prefer them to read in I books..

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
PDF is one of the few formats that Safari will download. Just tap on the link and Safari will download and display the PDF. Once it is displayed tap in the center of the screen and you should get a tool bar, tap on Open In, and choose iBooks.

However, if you want the PDF backed up in iTunes, iBooks is notoriously bad about transferring books back to iTunes when you use the Open In method to add them. It is far more reliable to add the PDF files to iTunes first, and then sync back to iBooks.

If you don't use iTunes to sync your iBooks library, don't worry about it. But make sure you keep a copy of important PDF files elsewhere for safe keeping. It's never wise to put your important data in just one place.

OP
Shihid

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
PDF is one of the few formats that Safari will download. Just tap on the link and Safari will download and display the PDF. Once it is displayed tap in the center of the screen and you should get a tool bar, tap on Open In, and choose iBooks.

However, if you want the PDF backed up in iTunes, iBooks is notoriously bad about transferring books back to iTunes when you use the Open In method to add them. It is far more reliable to add the PDF files to iTunes first, and then sync back to iBooks.

If you don't use iTunes to sync your iBooks library, don't worry about it. But make sure you keep a copy of important PDF files elsewhere for safe keeping. It's never wise to put your important data in just one place.

That's great...as in yahoo there is an option of attachment of files...how we can do on I pad ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Receive or send and attachment?

To send an attachment, you go to the app with the file in it, select or open the file, and then tap the share icon (looks like a box with an arrow coming out of it). If you have and email option (most do) you choose that. You can email PDF files from iBooks.

If you are receiving your Yahoo mail in the Mail app, then the attachment will either display in the body (if it's short enough), or as an icon with a line around it.

If it shows up in the body, just tap and hold on the PDF. A popup menu will appear with the usual Open In options.

If it shows up as an icon with a dotted gray line surrounding it, tap on the icon to download it first. If the line is already solid (downloaded) then tap and hold on the icon for the popup menu.

It's been a while since I played with Yahoo Mail in Safari or using the Yahoo Mail app, so I don't remember if downloads are possible. Experiment by tapping, tapping and holding, and keep an eye out for the share icon. If it's possible those are the most likely ways it will show up. A menu item that says 'download attachment' might also provide valuable clues. ;)

OP
Shihid

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Receive or send and attachment?

To send an attachment, you go to the app with the file in it, select or open the file, and then tap the share icon (looks like a box with an arrow coming out of it). If you have and email option (most do) you choose that. You can email PDF files from iBooks.

If you are receiving your Yahoo mail in the Mail app, then the attachment will either display in the body (if it's short enough), or as an icon with a line around it.

If it shows up in the body, just tap and hold on the PDF. A popup menu will appear with the usual Open In options.

If it shows up as an icon with a dotted gray line surrounding it, tap on the icon to download it first. If the line is already solid (downloaded) then tap and hold on the icon for the popup menu.

It's been a while since I played with Yahoo Mail in Safari or using the Yahoo Mail app, so I don't remember if downloads are possible. Experiment by tapping, tapping and holding, and keep an eye out for the share icon. If it's possible those are the most likely ways it will show up. A menu item that says 'download attachment' might also provide valuable clues. ;)

I tried every thing u said , it worked,,thank u so much ..except when opening mail and opening attachment of PDF,then u said hole it and pop up will appear, this isn't like this I think so bec on left top there is option icon and then u can select open in iBooks etc etc

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I tried every thing u said , it worked,,thank u so much ..except when opening mail and opening attachment of PDF,then u said hole it and pop up will appear, this isn't like this I think so bec on left top there is option icon and then u can select open in iBooks etc etc

You're welcome. It is possible my memory of how the Mail app works is less than perfect, but don't tell anyone. I don't want them to think I'm getting senile in my middle age. ;)

OP
Shihid

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You're welcome. It is possible my memory of how the Mail app works is less than perfect, but don't tell anyone. I don't want them to think I'm getting senile in my middle age. ;)

Sure I won't ;)

Sent from my heart ,using my brain ..

OP
Shihid

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am receiving e mails from iPad forum , means when I get some message in my in box, I get e mail as well , how to un sub in my e mail?

Sent from my heart ,using my brain ..

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You'll need to do it from a browser, not the iPF app.

Go to the User CP page and select Edit Options from the left column. Change your Default Thread Subscription Mode to no email notifications.

For threads you've already subscribed to, again go to the User CP page. The dark gray bar at the bottom of the thread list gives you the option to view all subscribed threads. Choose this. You'll see a checkbox at the right of each thread. You can either select all of them using the top box in the purple bar, or select them individually. Once you do that go to the bottom gray bar again. User the Selected Threads menu to change the notifications to No Email Notifications.

You'll have to do this for each page of threads if you have more than one page's worth.

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just to add to the manuals in PDF format discussion. I keep all my manuals for everything I buy on my network drive and keep key ones on the iPad. You can find most manuals now on the net. It is so much easier to find a manual on the drive or iPad than ... Somewhere in the house. I am so bad with paper filing.

Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig / using iPF

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to add to the manuals in PDF format discussion. I keep all my manuals for everything I buy on my network drive and keep key ones on the iPad. You can find most manuals now on the net. It is so much easier to find a manual on the drive or iPad than ... Somewhere in the house. I am so bad with paper filing.

Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig / using iPF

I also keep key manuals on my iPad. Others I keep in a Dropbox folder. Since I also use the Dropbox app on iPad, I can load any of the other manuals if I need them.

Most reactions

Latest posts