Ibooks crashes !! Will i / have i lost the files ?? What about re install...?

Discussion in 'iBooks' started by ipad.subu, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Wreybies

Wreybies
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so I tried this and it seems to work, but...

I also thought to remove two other books which I had downloaded in sample form. The book in question that was crashing was also originally downloaded in sample form. I bought the book from within the sample which was my first wariness.

The crashiness did not go away until I made the other two sample books go bye-bye. The reason I thought to try this is that I noted in the three sample books that I had download that somehow they were affecting one another in that whatever page number I left off of in sample book A would be the same page number that sample book B opened up to though it was the first time ever opening sample book B.

So... could be the smoking gun, could be a red herring. Who knows.

Regardless, the book works now so happiness is with me. Many thanks. ;)

EDIT ~ The book is still a little bit crashie. By that I mean it lets me actually read quite a few pages before shutting the app down now and not all of the illustrations display completely, as if they were still loading.... but never finish. Oh well... Lesson learned. Cost of lesson: $11.99.

#11 Wreybies, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ok, good to know about the sample books. I'll have to remember that if I have problems.

Are you using and iPad 1 or 2, and do you know what iOS version you are using" I don't think there is much more I can do for you, but it would be good to know if problem this crops up again.

Did you restart the iPad, or just re-download the book? Restarting the iPad, or closing all apps in the multi-task bar should free up the maximum amount of RAM, and maybe reduce the number of crashes. This could be important on the iPad 1 with it's much more limited RAM.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Um, ok. iPad 1st gen, 64gb WIFI iOS 4.3.3

And yeah, I made sure to close up everything and rebooted to remove anything else that might try to hog the stage from my book. The last variable to remove is the Redsn0w jailbreak. As in the past with other jailbreaks I have done, I had fun for a while, enjoyed being 'naughty', and then got over it. This evening I will be reverting back the unaltered, State sanctioned iOS that every good comrade should hold to his/her bosom with pride because in Soviet Russia, iPad jailbreaks you! :eek:;) Plus, the pad was never quite as silky smooth after the j/b and that's the kind of thing that drives me to distraction.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info, and please let us know if re-incarceration fixes the issue. ;)

5. Wreybies

Wreybies
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Disenjailbreakification complete and now my book is all good. I gave it a thorough run-through lest I have to take back my words as before, and the problem seems to be truly resolved.

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. I bet it was fixable with the jailbreak, but if you don't need/want jailbreak it's probably not worth the trouble to hunt it down.

7. ipad.subu

ipad.subu
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    All the PDF that I am talking abut are from the web .... They were not purchased on iTunes or I books most of these are reports ...statements ..etc.etc they were downloads at various points of time and in the absence of having a directory structure I do not know the exact names or the size of these PDF , html files etc

So looks like this will also not work

....there is just one classic book that I downloaded on I books and I am not very worried about loosing that

Rest .....snipped .....

In my case. .... I books crashes, in 3 ... Seconds after I open it ...so no time to locate and mail a bock to anyone !!!

Tia
    Regards
    Subu

8. ipad.subu

ipad.subu
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi

How does one find that out ?

I mean I have an iPad and can't figure out which version of os I am on ...what is the iPad version etc etc ..so if you could Zcpl give me then steps to find out a version number etc ... That would be much appreciated....

Tia
    Subu

9. Wreybies

Wreybies
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    On your iPad go to the Settings app and then from the left-hand column of options go to General and from within General go to About.