What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to IPad and need some help and advice - some advanced questions.

Alucard77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey All,

I am new to the IPad and still have yet to purchase it. I have been interested in the IPad since it first came out, but I do have to say I have been a MAC hater in the past. I have literally hacked every electronic portable item I owned and the IPad was so restricted that I just could not justify the price point based off of its limitations. I think with Jailbreak and some of the new items to be released, the IPad finally has the value I need. Not judging anyone elses decisions as it is different strokes for different folks.

I wanted to give some background on myself so that users can give me some advice on what I should purchase and how to use it.
- I commute 4 hours a day roundtrip.
- I have a 2 year old son
- I am a BIG movie person but have been watching movies on my commute with the PSP, looking forward to a bigger screen
- I would like to use the IPAD as a portable XBMC (or similar Media Center)
- I definately NEED HDMI out for my son at his grandma's house
- I use to play video games and do so occasionally now a days on my commute if the game is good.

Having said all that, I have some questions:
1- The new HDMA, can that only be used on the 4.3 firmware?
2- Does Apple support X264 and H264?
3- Would I have to Jailbreak to use XVID format?
4- How good is XBMC on the IPAD? Does it play higher res video?
5- With the HDMA Adapater, can I also use a SD reader with it at the same time?
6- Does the IPad recieve IR signals? IE: Can I just put my IPAD on my counter or use an IR Forwarder and use my IPad as a MC with a remote?
7- How is gaming evolving on the IPad? I saw Dead Space and was pretty impressed. I just wonder if this is going to be the norm or just games here and there.
8- For what I am looking to do, would it be better to get the Ipad1 or IPad2? BTW, I am pretty much looking to use this as a portable MC with some game capability.

Other then that, is there a thread on here of cool stuff you could do with an IPad that you may not know of?

Thanks all for the help.

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
VLC was released for IOS, then subsequently taken off the iPad store. Once it's jail broken, however, I think VLC is available in Cydia. That *should* cover virtually any encoding, video or audio, that you can throw at it.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
VLC was released for IOS, then subsequently taken off the iPad store. Once it's jail broken, however, I think VLC is available in Cydia. That *should* cover virtually any encoding, video or audio, that you can throw at it.

shame too, vlc is a brilliant media player

Most reactions

Latest posts