What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEW stylus design. Input needed

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all. Some of you already know that I am have been designing a new stylus for our iPad and other touch screen devices. I have a few prototypes made and am working on more/getting them to a marketable product. I am really hoping to have a solution for everyone and not just have a product that only works for some people

So I am looking to you all to give me smoke ideas of what you would want to see on stylus, what you want out of a stylus, things like that.

Things I am already incorporating...
Telescoping option
Customization (want a different size? I can make it for you)...possibly color, grip, clip, material options and others too
Key chain
Others

Also whoever helps the most will be getting a prototype of their own. It might just be shipping charge, but it's already getting expensive lol so well see. If you want a prototype shout me a pm and give me a reason why you should be a tester. Please no personal info until I confirm. Moderators, it would be great if you wanted to get in on this as you have the most experience/insight.

My name is Fred McCue and I am the stylus king pending a better name

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Telescopping is a must

Must have a clip to attach to case

I love having ink pin incorporated so we could sign autographs

For IPAD 2 you can incorporate magnets to allow connections magneticaly to the IPAD

Interchangble grip for the Big/Small handed people

Neckless clip is always nice.

You could "Joint Venture" with an drawing or note pad app for better sales

Thin tip is a must maybe adjustable.

I like the idea of a connect that fits the earphone jack.

Gotta keep the price under $20 bucks.

Incorporate a laser pointer on one end for presentations.

Thats all I could think of good luck.

Last edited:
OP
F

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
will i get in trouble if i keep bumping this? there are just so many threads every day it goes out of sight very quickly

iPad_Lover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would love grip, multiple colors, a keychain, a clip would be nice. (Although you would have to chose between a clip or a keychain)
I like the idea of different tips that come with the pen, like a thicker, thinner, and I even heard of a paintbrush-style stylus. (I'm not sure if it works)

I'll try and think of more ideas.

Also, quick question, are you going to make the stylus flat, (like on the POGO) or try to incorporate a tip? (Almost like a pen)
I know it my be a little hard, as many people have said that if you make an iPad stylus with a pen-like tip it will not work.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
F

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a new tip never seen before. It's def more pen like that any other and feels like your wiring with a pen and it does work, otherwise I wouldnotbe putting in countless hours between my nursing school to make it.

The interchangeable tip is a berth ferreting idea but I don't think I'll be able to do that for a while, ie it might cost some bucks for engineering that kind of thing. Thanks for the input

Redzapper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally, I don't need telescoping. Something 4-5 inches long is good enough for me.
If possible, you may want several lines - a low end model and a high end model.
I'm strictly no frills. Will need variable colors, clip and a connect for the headphone jack tho.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In my experience you must/need the stylus to be able to connect to the case. Either snap- on or a clip large enough to mount on most cases. As I think about it you could easily create a a mounting universal clip which will hole the stylus or even a normal pin.
Think pocket protector for your tablet.
The clip could be very small and retractable like what guards carry on their belt. But not that large just enough to allow you to write without the thing getting in the wat.
Of course we are coming from a iPad, You should look to be universal so conceder the 7 inch tablets

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't forget a variety of grips. I have large hands and my first couple styluses were to small. However my wife loved them!

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The stylus must have an ink pin included, and please make it a decent pin and not junk.

Shadow97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been searching for the best stylus! I have tried them all, so far the "hard candy" has been the best. I work in an office where I have to take numerous notes. I use a program called noteshelf which allows me to have multiple notebooks on the go as well as a daytimer. The problem with the hard candy version is the lid does not sit on the other end of the pen, so I tend to lose them. I have never understood why the make stylus's smaller then an actual pen.... If it was the same size as a pen it would make my life easier. So good luck with your work, I look forward to see what you come up with.

Brockly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Need one with a pencil tip so I can draw all the one I seen and have are sponge fat tips I can draw with. They suck real bad and you have to press so hard ro draw the tip drags and in time you will rip the tip off the pen.... The one are not made to draw with .... Not at all

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just thought of a new feature which I think would be a uBig winner for you....

Smart Pin! Add a magnet which a person could use to turn off/on there screen while in a meeting or in church.

OP
F

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only problem with using it as a way to turn off the screen is that as soon as you remove the stlyus the screen comes back on...

haggisgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with different barrel widths--personally the only pens I use are the PhD style that has a larger, cushioned barrel. I'm really intrigued by your pen-like tip. That would be a real bonus if the stylus was more like writing with a pen. Pen size--not shorter or longer--would be nice. I would use something that will stand up to lots of notetaking and have a fine enough line that my handwriting is recognized by Writepad.

Most reactions

Latest posts