What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New here, and can use some help.

Alocasia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Not sure where I should post this...

Since I downloaded the new OS for my iPad, 9 and then 9.1, all the books and pdfs I add to Books on iTunes are grayed out, and the ones that were there before are gone. They are still on my iPad.. I uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes on my computer. I restarted my iPad (all suggestions I read online), but the books are still grayed out and I can't sync them to get them on my iPad.. I can click on Sync, but it talks about deleting what's on the iPad and moving them to the library. I'm new to this iPad, so I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you using iTunes on a Mac or a PC?

On a Mac the iBooks file management function of iTunes has been moved to a dedicated iBooks app. You can find it in the Mac App Store. You still see them in an iTunes books library, because iTunes still has the syncing feature; however you can not add, remove, or edit the files there. You do that in the iBooks app.

Confusing, yes. But it's a step in the right direction, breaking out the various function of iTunes into more specialized apps.

The bonus? If you want to you can now read your iBooks on the Mac.

If you're using a PC, I'm not sure what's happening. All the iBooks functions should still be there.

OP
A

Alocasia

iPF Noob
Reaction score

On a Mac the iBooks file management function of iTunes has been moved to a dedicated iBooks app. You can find it in the Mac App Store. You still see them in an iTunes books library, because iTunes still has the syncing feature; however you can not add, remove, or edit the files there. You do that in the iBooks app.

Confusing, yes. But it's a step in the right direction, breaking out the various function of iTunes into more specialized apps.

If you're using a PC, I'm not sure what's happening. All the iBooks functions should still be there.

I'm using iTunes on my PC. I have been all along, and never had this problem. I can't sync the book to get it onto my iPad. It just sits grayed out now in iTunes. :(
I had no problems until this last update. Thanks for responding...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you installed the newest version of iTunes from Apple's site? iOS 9 isn't fully supported by the older versions; and your PC must be on something newer than XP.

That's about all I can suggest. Someone else with a PC and who uses iBooks might have a better idea of what is going on.

OP
A

Alocasia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No matter where I look or click, I can't find 'about iTunes' anywhere to find the version. Is there another way? Thanks. I'm using Windows 7.

Oops....found out how to get the menu bar. I'm using version 12.3.0.44 64 bit.

Most reactions

Latest posts