Netflix on iPad Review

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Craigatcsi, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Craigatcsi

Craigatcsi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I finally decided to give the Netflix app a try, mainly to lay in bed and watch movies and old TV shows on my iPad. I was disapointed to find out that they don't have the Star Trek series as watch now. it is only on disc. So I browsed movies that are available to watch instantly and found the Spartacus mini series. BTW, it is a TERRIFIC series!! But, watching it on the iPad, the graphics are Horrible when there is the slightest action. In so e very active scenes it is very tough to make out what is happening. This happened with Alice in Wonderland also.
    As far as Netflix, I think I am going to cancel. Most of the play now movies are ones that you find in the cheap bin at Walmart. There are a few good ones, but not many. I am very disappointed. I really hoped it was a good alternative to expanded cable TV.
    So, yesterday, I went out and spent $200 on a portable DVD player. It's alright, but the screen is only 9". Oh well, I guess I will just have to wait for technology to catch up with my desires.now
  2. nateccnn

nateccnn iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah...I have found any kind of wireless delivery of video designed for tv size devices to be disappointing. I spent a lot of money installing a home theater system with the server in my home office and tv in the family room. I had hoped to not have to drill any holes for cables but every wireless solution I tried made the video choppy or downsized. I finally ran a cat 5 and made the system workable, but reality is you need the video server plugged directly into the TV for it to work decently. and even then, downloaded watch now stuff still skipped a lot.

It's better today than it was two years ago. Hopefully it will continue to improve. 4G may help. Gigabit switches may help when the price comes down to a consumer price point. But for now, we wish and wait.

Nate
  3. the_john

the_john iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Your skipping problem has to do with your connection speed. I sometimes stream 3-4 movies a day wirelessly here at home with no hiccups at all.
  4. Wakawaka

Wakawaka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Same here.. No issues at all streaming Netflix. And half the time that's also streaming Netflix on the tv at the same time.

Action..yeah frames do roll a little bit into each other but not enough to really notice or bug me.

Gotta give and take. For the device and what it is, you can't complain too much..
  5. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    I also have no issues and I'm using an old Linksys. I watch streaming on both my Ipad and TV, now with Apple TV. I've found with the instant Netflix that you need to dig deeper. If you have a long history with them you will start to get fairly good recommendations from which you can link even further. I also like newer movies so leave those on my DVD list but I trimmed that considerably this week using the free IQueue app which is great for deletion and reordering of m y queues. I have a much longer queue for instant. When I find one that looks interesting, I check reviews, both critics and viewers, and add it to the queue since you can just scroll through those and watch any at any time. I'd also recommend Flixter for queue management and adding movies and TV.

Diane
  6. Darkrider

Darkrider iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It has to be your connection speed.

Action is fine on here.
  7. DrHouse

DrHouse iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Also using Netflix on my iPad and iPhone. No problem at all, everything is working fine. Also using the Wii for viewing on my tv set. I remember one time that a movie was a bit pixelated but pretty sure that it was a connection problem to the Internet and not Netflix itself.
  8. BrennB

BrennB iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Same here. And when I had pixelating on the wii set up I just rebooted my router/modem setup and got a good picture again. Choppy and pixels are connection related not app related.
  9. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
  10. SBHOKC

SBHOKC iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use Netflix almost everyday with no problems unless my network is slow for a bit which is rare. I am using an N router and watch movies in HD from Netflix all the time. It doesn't matter if I am on my iTouch, iPad or PS3 on my 55 inch HDTV. It has got to be your router or connection speed.
  11. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Netflix streaming on my laptop or on my blue ray player connected to my home theater/TV is perfect. My iPad on the same network looks like you are watching under water
  12. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Netflix works great for me on the iPad, Touch, desktop and tv. That's even with just a G wireless network. HD streams also work well. I do have excellent download speeds (10-15mbps).

I find the stream selection good and getting better. Netflix has some new contracts that should help even more.
  13. dupont2005

dupont2005 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I never have a problem with video quality. Once or twice Netflix crashed altogether when I was watching a movie, but I haven't had an app that was crashproof yet and this one is not the worst offender by far. I do have gripes with it though, queue management is a pain because of how choppy the menu is. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my queue is perpetually full at nearly 500 movies. Either way, scrolling down to the bottom is a chore. Also, I have yet to successfully rate a movie with the iPad app. The viewing has been fine though and I have watched short TV shows and long movies on it.
  14. Djdan

Djdan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Netflix through Ipod, Ipad, and Apple TV is stellar at my house, although through Apple TV, I have seen some "buffering" and occasional temporary muted audio, and sometimes seems to be with specific programs... all is all, it's pretty good here.
  15. accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    So with your Netflix account u jus play it on iPad and hOok apple tv up and it plays in full on your big screen with volume coming out of tv also?
  16. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    Try the free app Iqueue. It is much easier to reorder and delete than in the Netflix app. I had a very long queue like you but deleted it down to a much more manageable number since I'm mainly interested in getting newer, noninstant movies on DVD. I increased my instant queue since I have a long history with Netflix and my recommendations tske me down more interesting paths by linking to links, etc.
  17. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    Well no, not from the Ipad as you would with the cable. I can watch/stream Netflix to my Ipad and do frequently as I watch it as I ride my exercise bike. With the Apple TV you deal with Netflix directly from a very nice interface right on the screen via your router. I use my Ipad as a remote for the Apple TV with the remote app. You can also do a good bit more than just Netflix too--podcasts which I watch a good bit, Youtube, listen to music or watch videos from your computer, etc. Yes, the audio comes out of the TV or if you have a sound system you can run the audio through it. Very happy with a $100 purchase plus a $39 HDMI cable.

Diane
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  18. Djdan

Djdan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's exactly it!
  19. accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I'm confused, as I was reading about the apple tv it described it as if I have an account with Netflix I could open Netflix app, select movie to watch then hit some sort of onscreen button and choose for it to play or stream through apple tv on my big screen. And I'm on my home wifi wireless network using a linksys wrt54g router
  20. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Holy crap ... you must have purchased that cable at Radio Shack. It is good to know ahead of time that the Apple TV doesn't come with a cable though.