What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Netflix on iPad Review

Craigatcsi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I finally decided to give the Netflix app a try, mainly to lay in bed and watch movies and old TV shows on my iPad. I was disapointed to find out that they don't have the Star Trek series as watch now. it is only on disc. So I browsed movies that are available to watch instantly and found the Spartacus mini series. BTW, it is a TERRIFIC series!! But, watching it on the iPad, the graphics are Horrible when there is the slightest action. In so e very active scenes it is very tough to make out what is happening. This happened with Alice in Wonderland also.
As far as Netflix, I think I am going to cancel. Most of the play now movies are ones that you find in the cheap bin at Walmart. There are a few good ones, but not many. I am very disappointed. I really hoped it was a good alternative to expanded cable TV.
So, yesterday, I went out and spent $200 on a portable DVD player. It's alright, but the screen is only 9". Oh well, I guess I will just have to wait for technology to catch up with my desires.now

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah...I have found any kind of wireless delivery of video designed for tv size devices to be disappointing. I spent a lot of money installing a home theater system with the server in my home office and tv in the family room. I had hoped to not have to drill any holes for cables but every wireless solution I tried made the video choppy or downsized. I finally ran a cat 5 and made the system workable, but reality is you need the video server plugged directly into the TV for it to work decently. and even then, downloaded watch now stuff still skipped a lot.

It's better today than it was two years ago. Hopefully it will continue to improve. 4G may help. Gigabit switches may help when the price comes down to a consumer price point. But for now, we wish and wait.

Nate

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your skipping problem has to do with your connection speed. I sometimes stream 3-4 movies a day wirelessly here at home with no hiccups at all.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here.. No issues at all streaming Netflix. And half the time that's also streaming Netflix on the tv at the same time.

Action..yeah frames do roll a little bit into each other but not enough to really notice or bug me.

Gotta give and take. For the device and what it is, you can't complain too much..

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also have no issues and I'm using an old Linksys. I watch streaming on both my Ipad and TV, now with Apple TV. I've found with the instant Netflix that you need to dig deeper. If you have a long history with them you will start to get fairly good recommendations from which you can link even further. I also like newer movies so leave those on my DVD list but I trimmed that considerably this week using the free IQueue app which is great for deletion and reordering of m y queues. I have a much longer queue for instant. When I find one that looks interesting, I check reviews, both critics and viewers, and add it to the queue since you can just scroll through those and watch any at any time. I'd also recommend Flixter for queue management and adding movies and TV.

Diane

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Also using Netflix on my iPad and iPhone. No problem at all, everything is working fine. Also using the Wii for viewing on my tv set. I remember one time that a movie was a bit pixelated but pretty sure that it was a connection problem to the Internet and not Netflix itself.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
Also using Netflix on my iPad and iPhone. No problem at all, everything is working fine. Also using the Wii for viewing on my tv set. I remember one time that a movie was a bit pixelated but pretty sure that it was a connection problem to the Internet and not Netflix itself.

Same here. And when I had pixelating on the wii set up I just rebooted my router/modem setup and got a good picture again. Choppy and pixels are connection related not app related.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As far as Netflix, I think I am going to cancel. Most of the play now movies are ones that you find in the cheap bin at Walmart. There are a few good ones, but not many. [/QUOTE]

Focus on the ones labeled Starz - that's the newer selection of material.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Netflix almost everyday with no problems unless my network is slow for a bit which is rare. I am using an N router and watch movies in HD from Netflix all the time. It doesn't matter if I am on my iTouch, iPad or PS3 on my 55 inch HDTV. It has got to be your router or connection speed.

FunN4Lo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Netflix streaming on my laptop or on my blue ray player connected to my home theater/TV is perfect. My iPad on the same network looks like you are watching under water

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Netflix works great for me on the iPad, Touch, desktop and tv. That's even with just a G wireless network. HD streams also work well. I do have excellent download speeds (10-15mbps).

I find the stream selection good and getting better. Netflix has some new contracts that should help even more.

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I never have a problem with video quality. Once or twice Netflix crashed altogether when I was watching a movie, but I haven't had an app that was crashproof yet and this one is not the worst offender by far. I do have gripes with it though, queue management is a pain because of how choppy the menu is. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my queue is perpetually full at nearly 500 movies. Either way, scrolling down to the bottom is a chore. Also, I have yet to successfully rate a movie with the iPad app. The viewing has been fine though and I have watched short TV shows and long movies on it.

Djdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Netflix through Ipod, Ipad, and Apple TV is stellar at my house, although through Apple TV, I have seen some "buffering" and occasional temporary muted audio, and sometimes seems to be with specific programs... all is all, it's pretty good here.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So with your Netflix account u jus play it on iPad and hOok apple tv up and it plays in full on your big screen with volume coming out of tv also?

Most reactions

Latest posts