What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad and Netflix

trainingdiva10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought I downloaded two netflix movies to my instant queue, but when I selected the netflix app once we had taken off, I got a "no service" message. How do I download movies so I can watch them mid-air?

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last time I check you can not down load a save Netflix you can only save in your q it's just like a book mark so you can remember and watch when your on wifi or 3 g

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but Netflix only streams videos. If you don't have an internet connection, whether WiFi or 3G, Netflix won't run.

Marilyn

OP
T

trainingdiva10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, if I want to watch videos, I need to purchase from iTunes and sync?

ncnogrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No,you can put movies on your pc and use conversion tool (convert to mp4) then save in iTunes on your main pc..

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No,you can put movies on your pc and use conversion tool (convert to mp4) then save in iTunes on your main pc..

This. Buying movies off Itunes is a ripoff, unless you have fast wi-fi and are really, REALLY hard up for a movie. :)

ncnogrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. Maybe I wasn't clear,,,you can copy a movie (legally or edit by moderator - no discussion of illegal movies) on to your pc/Mac,,,convert to mp4 (?) format and move it to your iTunes library...I believe without a wifi connection you would have to convert any saved movie to this format to view on any tablet...if I'm wrong pls let know of an easier solution

Last edited by a moderator:

yycgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay - I want to really make sure I understand too.

So - movies and books seem to be a pain in the neck right now if you want to watch/read while you're on a plane or on a beach. It seems that every app out there wants us to have an internet connection to watch/read.

Is iTunes/iBooks the only app that will truly allow you to download new, puchased and legal content or video to your iPad and watch/read without a wi-fi or 3G connection?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay - I want to really make sure I understand too.

So - movies and books seem to be a pain in the neck right now if you want to watch/read while you're on a plane or on a beach. It seems that every app out there wants us to have an internet connection to watch/read.

Is iTunes/iBooks the only app that will truly allow you to download new, puchased and legal content or video to your iPad and watch/read without a wi-fi or 3G connection?

You don't need a connection to read a book once you've downloaded it. Downloading often takes less than a minute. That's unless you're somehow reading a book online, which is relatively rare. (Some textbooks and professional training books require this, for instance.)

You can legally load movies onto your iPad to watch later without a connection, without buying from iTunes, but the conversion takes time. For instance, you can buy a DVD, convert with HandBrake, add it to your iTunes account and load it on your iPad. This type of use would be legal if you'd purchased the DVD and used the copy for your own use (instead of distributing it for free or for money, because you're buying rights to use, not to distribute).

I frequently read books and watch movies on iPad without a connection (on flights and elsewhere where I've turned off my connection). Transferring movies is a pain simply because of conversion time, though.

Buying movies through iTunes would be a quick alternative, but I prefer to buy my movies in DVD form, then convert. If you buy through iTunes, you'll probably want to back up your movies, because Apple assumes that responsibility is yours if something goes wrong (say if you accidentally delete the movie, you'd have to buy it again).

Most reactions

Latest posts