What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need power cable and new case.

I

islandman

Last edited by a moderator:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Apple sells a 2 metre Lightning to USB cable for charging your iPad.
image.jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, Apple sells a 2 metre Lightning to USB cable for charging your iPad. View attachment 63340

@ Scifan.. - that is listed at $39 (assume Canadian dollars?) - USA store price for the 2 meter cable is $10 USD less; now the regular 1 meter cable is $10 USD less, i.e. $19 - really ridiculous markup for an extra 3 feet or so! Just venting, I guess - ;)

The other irritation are the reviews these accessories often receive on the Apple site - I'm sure that this is a much skewed population of people leaving comments, but one would think that these cables should not be bought from Apple (see attachment) - BUT, the third party 'knock-offs' are likely even more unreliable - NOW, I've not had any problems w/ my charging cables going back to my iPad 2 (2011) - I think that being 'careful' is probably the most important recommendation - these are just not robust products and care is needed - OK, just my 2 cents - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 6.26.36 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The price in my post about the 2 metre charging cable is the Canadian dollar price.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Then there's the cheap and ugly solution. Get a short AC extension cord and plug the power supply into that. Sometimes that works out well. Other times, not so much.

But it's probably about a 10th the cost.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Then there's the cheap and ugly solution. Get a short AC extension cord and plug the power supply into that. Sometimes that works out well. Other times, not so much.

But it's probably about a 10th the cost.

Great suggestion - I have a short extension cord in the bedroom w/ about 3 AC plug-in sockets used by my wife to charge her iDevices - she's had no problems.

Secondly, whilst I have a good wrap-a-round case for it,with magnetic clasp and ridges in cover to allow it to stand up, plus it has holes to allow camera functions etc, I'd like a different kind. I saw one on a big store today and almost bought it, then realsied the ipad would have to be removed to use in camera mode.

Well, there are SO many options - just take a look on Amazon HERE - you might also want to search the forum, i.e. a common topic of discussion over the years. Also, provide some clues as to your 'desires', e.g. protection for back & front, all buttons accessible, keyboard, storage for papers/documents, ruggedness, etc. Dave :)

OP
I

islandman

Great suggestion - I have a short extension cord in the bedroom w/ about 3 AC plug-in sockets used by my wife to charge her iDevices - she's had no problems.

Well, there are SO many options - just take a look on Amazon HERE - you might also want to search the forum, i.e. a common topic of discussion over the years. Also, provide some clues as to your 'desires', e.g. protection for back & front, all buttons accessible, keyboard, storage for papers/documents, ruggedness, etc. Dave :)

OP
I

islandman

Thanks I will click on your link in a min. Hopefully your suggestion will help.

OP
I

islandman

Today I have bought a power pack for the same price as a charger with the same length cable. I'd heard of these things but didn't know what they were. It seems when charged, they can recharge both tablets and phones and have multiple ends for whatever size is required. Currently it's on charge, so I'll have to see how things go.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Today I have bought a power pack for the same price as a charger with the same length cable. I'd heard of these things but didn't know what they were. It seems when charged, they can recharge both tablets and phones and have multiple ends for whatever size is required. Currently it's on charge, so I'll have to see how things go.

Power packs have worked out well for us - I have the one below by Lumsing (white one) & wife uses the other (purchased for half price from a MacForums deal) - provide some information on the one you bought (others may be interested) - a nice alternative to charging iDevices - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2014-12-10 at 10.34.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-08 at 11.38.46 AM.png

OP
I

islandman

Power packs have worked out well for us - I have the one below by Lumsing (white one) & wife uses the other (purchased for half price from a MacForums deal) - provide some information on the one you bought (others may be interested) - a nice alternative to charging iDevices - Dave :)
View attachment 63465 View attachment 63466

Yes I will, but to tell you the truth, it came from one of those many corner phone shops, but having said that, I've bought several items from there and they have all met with expectations.

The only info I can see on it is :-
My Fone Accessories Ltd and Out 2 & Out 2
POWER BANK
Capacity 8000mAh
Input DC5V/1A
Output 1 .5V1A Output 2 5V2A
For mobile phone/Mp4/iPhone/iPad
Designed by MyPhone UK Assembled in China
RoHS CE

Power Bank
Fashionable & Portable for Smart phone, iPad, iPhone 4s/5 Samsung HTC

Packaging states:-
Wide compatible,USB output,Powerful with long operation time,Portable and convenient
High Efficiency of power conversion,Electricity-saving function,User friendly,Long cycle life,Rapid charge,Environmental friendliness & Economic efficiency, Have LED Battery capacity indicator,fashion and beautiful. No loss stand-by,use the time longer,Super protection function core intelligent protection, the overcharge protection, discharge protection,leakage protection. shutdown state rechargeable, can show power. high conversion efficiency, the power rating power conversion is as high as 90% above far higher than similar products. have intellectual dormancy function, when the equipment used, will automatically adjust current output, really play a plug and play after 72 hours aging test, greatly enhance product stability and reliability.

For smart phone, HTC, blackberry,huawei, ipad 2, iphone 3gs, iphone 4, iphone 5

So all this is a load of waffle (in my opinion). The reason I've copied everything, is because I am hoping someone will tell me my purchase is OK. These salesmen can tell me anything. Hopefully I haven't been sucked in.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes I will, but to tell you the truth, it came from one of those many corner phone shops, but having said that, I've bought several items from there and they have all met with expectations.

The only info I can see on it is :-
My Fone Accessories Ltd and Out 2 & Out 2
POWER BANK
Capacity 8000mAh
Input DC5V/1A
Output 1 .5V1A Output 2 5V2A
So all this is a load of waffle (in my opinion). The reason I've copied everything, is because I am hoping someone will tell me my purchase is OK. These salesmen can tell me anything. Hopefully I haven't been sucked in.

Well, you have 2 outputs, i.e. 1 & 2 Amps x 5 Volts - the 2 Amp should be used to charge your iPad and either will charge an iPhone. mAh = milliamp hours which refers to battery capacity - the two that we own are 11000 & 15000 mAh which easily provides several complete iDevice charges - iPad battery capacities have varied over the years from 6600 to 11650 (current models about 8000) mAh (Source) - so, the capacity of your 'Power Bank', i.e. 8000 mAh should provide a single full charge to a recent model iPad. Dave :)

OP
I

islandman

Well, you have 2 outputs, i.e. 1 & 2 Amps x 5 Volts - the 2 Amp should be used to charge your iPad and either will charge an iPhone. mAh = milliamp hours which refers to battery capacity - the two that we own are 11000 & 15000 mAh which easily provides several complete iDevice charges - iPad battery capacities have varied over the years from 6600 to 11650 (current models about 8000) mAh (Source) - so, the capacity of your 'Power Bank', i.e. 8000 mAh should provide a single full charge to a recent model iPad. Dave :)

Dave, thanks for that. I will now make a mental note to use the 2amp (ipad). The interesting thing is that the flamboyant salesman, I believe, led me to think that the pack would charge more than once. However, it's no big deal. We often have a five hour rail journey and it's my worry that I might forget to ensure a full charge before we leave, but this new toy solves that.

Who'd have thought that an old geezer like me would find technology such as this, interesting at my time of life.

Most reactions

Latest posts