What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movies on the new iPad

anyi9581

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently put a movie on my new iPad and the letterboxing fills up half the screen both on the top and bottom.

I was wondering if the HD movies that you can purchase from iTunes fill the entire screen?

Kind regards

jcarter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anyi9581 said:
Hello,

I recently put a movie on my new iPad and the letterboxing fills up half the screen both on the top and bottom.

I was wondering if the HD movies that you can purchase from iTunes fill the entire screen?

Kind regards

If you take any movie/video that is not formatted the same as the iPad (4:3) and display it on the iPad, you will get black borders at the top and bottom for anything other than a 4:3 format (like the old TV format). Hence, you don't really want to force any movie to fill the iPad display. If you do, you will either chop off the left/right sides or stretch the image.

Just because the iPad 3 is designed to display HD content (1080p) doesn't mean it will look just like your HD TV. If anything, what you will see on the iPad will look dramatically more brilliant and crisp because it has a higher DPI than the TV. However, this doesn't mean there is more detail in the image. You can't get out more than what goes in.

John

Most reactions

Latest posts