What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External storage, movies and player? ...

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased the new iPad and, after getting it changed because it suffered from a yellow screen issue , I am absolutely delighted with it. I am particularly impressed with the playback quality of HD movies purchased from the iTunes store ...

I do a lot of travelling and was wondering if there is a way to attach a USB stick or SCHC card for extra movie storage (I have a large movie collection in various formats) ...

Also, what player app would be best to play MKVs and other formats smoothly, direct from the external drive?

... To add, my iPad 3 is on 5.1.1 and jailbroken using Absinthe.

Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

iNb

:)

odonnks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a few wireless devices like Airstash that will accept SD cards that you preload. The entire device can remain in your pocket when connected.
I use a Seagate 500 gb Go-flex that is also rechargeable battery powered and has wireless connectivity.
With it I can tote allot of files or movies if needed.

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am guessing this is not the answer you need, but, If your movies are stored on a PC of Mac you can transfer any/all over a wireless network with AVPlayer HD. On your PC you just surf to a defined web address and up-load your media to your iPad. It seems to take about 3-5 minutes for a 2 hour movie. AVPlayer HD is also a great player that can play all formats.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased the new iPad and, after getting it changed because it suffered from a yellow screen issue , I am absolutely delighted with it. I am particularly impressed with the playback quality of HD movies purchased from the iTunes store ...

I do a lot of travelling and was wondering if there is a way to attach a USB stick or SCHC card for extra movie storage (I have a large movie collection in various formats) ...

Also, what player app would be best to play MKVs and other formats smoothly, direct from the external drive?

... To add, my iPad 3 is on 5.1.1 and jailbroken using Absinthe.

Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

iNb

I convert my stuff to M4V and use my Air Stash for wireless playback. Much easier than using to use MKV format. And if you don't compress the movie the MKV file will be very large, making streaming difficult. Better to transcode your movie using Handbrake/AnyDVDHD to M4V. Store them on an SDHD or SXHD card, put that into the tiny Air Stash, and play on your iPad via streaming. Works great. Plus you can stream music and open save other types of files.

OP
I

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for you help and suggestions.

After a lot of research and reading, I have decided on Air Stash with a 128GB SDXC card ... I also purchased a 500 GB GoFlex for larger files as it is my understanding that Air Stash only accepts FAT32 so files over 4GB are a no no ...

Many thanks again!

iNb

Most reactions