What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video always 16x9???

RunningIrish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've taken several videos with my iPad 2 and regardless if I film it in 16x9 or 4:3 it always plays back in letterbox. One would think that if the image fills your entire screen while filming, then it should fill your entire screen while playing back.

Am I missing something? Is there a setting to change that I can't find?

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try a double tap of the screen during playback. If you do this while watching a movie, it toggles between full screen and letterbox views. I'm not sure if the same goes for a movie you've taken yourself, but worth a try.

Reaction score
Just to clarify, the back camera films in 720p widescreen, but the display is in 4:3, so you will always get black bars above and below self recorded films.

Where did you adjust the recording settings from 16x9 to 4:3? I have never found a setting to adjust the recordings.

OP
R

RunningIrish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Just to clarify, the back camera films in 720p widescreen, but the display is in 4:3, so you will always get black bars above and below self recorded films.

Where did you adjust the recording settings from 16x9 to 4:3? I have never found a setting to adjust the recordings.

Adjusted (or think I did) by double tapping screen while filming.

Also tried double tapping while in playback and although it reduces the black bars, it doesn't eliminate them. And yes this is on movies recorded on iPad.

It just see
Ms odd the the image fills the whole screen while

OP
R

RunningIrish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RunningIrish said:

Also tried double tapping while in playback and although it reduces the black bars, it doesn't eliminate them. And yes this is on movies recorded on iPad.

It just seems odd the the image fills the whole screen while recording but black bars on playback. It makes for quite a small image when viewed regardless of iPad orientation.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have wondered the screen doesnt show 16x9 when you are recording video when the recorded is 16X9

Reaction score
RunningIrish said:

It just see
Ms odd the the image fills the whole screen while

Ok, the camera app does not let you adjust the recording screen ratio. It will always record in 720p wide screen.

All that happens, when you zoom in by double tapping is, that it well zooms in, but it still records in the same ratio, the stuff that is outside the screen at the sides get's still recorded, even when it doesn't show it to you. There really isn't much you can do to prevent this.

Most reactions

Latest posts