What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More by Luck than judgement!

mikethemac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just won an ipad in a competition! Since I never could look a gift horse in the mouth I've set about seeing what use I can make of it.

My main interest is photography and I shoot raw files. I've downloaded an App which purports to deal with raw files and already have an idisk account with a number of raw files.

However my attempt to download a raw file direct from the idisk to the ipad have failed miserably.

Any suggestions?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Download the iDisk app from the store. From there you should be able to see and download the file. Then tap the share icon (looks like a box with an arrow coming out of it). If your RAW photo app supports Open In... then you should see it listed.

If it isn't, then things get sticky. I can't think of any good way to do it directly from iDisk.

Let me know what RAW app you are using. If I look over their website maybe I can come up with something.

OP
M

mikethemac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've downloaded the free Photoraw lite.

The idisk access shows the raw file "This file is unsupported" on a CANON .CR2 file or on a .dng file

OP
M

mikethemac

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The idisk access shows the raw file "This file is unsupported" on a CANON .CR2 file or on a .dng file

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet is on the West Coast of the US (sorry I got it wrong, last time twerppoet! - and I've been to your hometown too, so no excuse!) so you may have to wait a few hours for his reply...

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Just means iDisk doesn't have the ability to display the file. Do you see the app when you tap on the share icon?

I'm off to look at the app you mentioned. I'll be back with anything I learn, helpful or not.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, apparently iDisk won't even download a file if it doesn't support the type. Very annoying. I didn't know it had that limitation. Sorry for sending you on a goose chase.

The best alternative I can think of is GoodReader. It's worth every penny of the $4.99 price tag. It's the closest thing the iPad has to a file management tool and very handy. You'll see it mentioned and recommended all over the forum

I did test Photoraw Lite with GoodReader and was able to download a RAW file from iDisk and then open it in Photoraw Lite. It was free so I picked it up and experimented.

When/if you grab GoodReader, go to the list on the right and choose Connect to Servers. You can add your iDisk account here. Once you do that you can choose the iDisk to browse for both downloads and uploads.

Once you've downloaded a RAW file, you'll be tempted to tap on it and try to open it. Won't work. GoodReader doesn't support the viewing of RAW files, though it will work with most other common file types. Despair not, you can still open it in PhotoRAW.

Select Manage Files from the list on the right. When you do this you'll see a circle appear on the left of the file name. Tap on the file to select it, and the circle fills in. Now chose the ••• Open In... button from the control panel at the right. You'll see a list of compatible apps, and PhotoRaw Lite should be there. Just tap on it and PhotoRAW Lite will open and start processing the file.

Personally I found PhotoRAW Lite fairly useless. It displays the photo (and you can only load one) with a few sharpening filter options, but that's it. I've been keeping my eye on the full version, and it promises better functions, but I notice that the reviews in the App Store are very low. For $9.99 I'd wait to see if they mange to work the bugs out.

I've also been watching PiRAWnha and considering. It has better reviews, though neither apps has enough reviews to inspire confidence.

In the end I'm waiting for my iPad 2 before trying my iPad as a photo editor. I'm on a waiting list, and probably have at least a month to think over my options.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet is on the West Coast of the US (sorry I got it wrong, last time twerppoet! - and I've been to your hometown too, so no excuse!) so you may have to wait a few hours for his reply...

Tim
Scotland

You've been to Dayton Washington? What possible reason could a world traveler have for visiting Dayton? But Dayton isn't my home town. I grew up (mostly) in the even smaller town of Pomeroy, 30 miles away.

As for mistakes, well, I'm supposed to be citizen over here, and I was at least 25 before I realized that New England wasn't a state. I believe I spent at least half an hour looking for it on a map once. I was probably trying to figure out where New England clam chowder came from.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim
Scotland

You've been to Dayton Washington? What possible reason could a world traveler have for visiting Dayton? But Dayton isn't my home town. I grew up (mostly) in the even smaller town of Pomeroy, 30 miles away.

As for mistakes, well, I'm supposed to be citizen over here, and I was at least 25 before I realized that New England wasn't a state. I believe I spent at least half an hour looking for it on a map once. I was probably trying to figure out where New England clam chowder came from.

I work a lot in Silicon Valley and, when my work's over, I hire an RV for a couple of weeks and head up north. There are some beautiful National Forests in the vicinity....

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I work a lot in Silicon Valley and, when my work's over, I hire an RV for a couple of weeks and head up north. There are some beautiful National Forests in the vicinity....

Tim
Scotland

There are, aren't there? Now that Spring is on the way I should probably do a little hiking and fishing myself. Guess we tend to overlook the nice things next door.

Most reactions

Latest posts