What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modern War Combat Details

dinsdale13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've heard there are people called "Whales" who can attack anyone once you reach a certain level? I just found out this is true, I’m just shocked to hear that Funzio allows this to happen. I'm at level 92 with an Attack/Defense score of 16K/18K and was just attacked by someone from level 194 (Spartan-Stars) who an attack/defense score of 81K/86. Seems like a pretty lame game, to allow this to happen. In the past, you could only attack people who were within 2-3 levels of you, so that seemed fair. You had the opportunity to build your army and your base and competed on a somewhat level field, based on choices you made.

BTW, this guy has almost every Gold Facility you can buy (Coal Mine (x2), Diamond Mine (x2), Geothermal Plant (x2), Water Treatment Plant (x2), Bio Dome (x2) Solar Array (x2), Composite Factory) as well as a ton of Gold Units. So either he's one of the game designers or he's spend hundreds of dollars to play this "game". I can see my interest waning in this game.

Yeah, once you hit level about 100, you get attacked hundreds of times a day by players 30-75 levels higher than you.
I've lost 3000 in attack and defense in the last 3 days and millions of money.
Even playing hours a day throughout the day cannot come close to keeping up with the damage these attacks do.

This game is bull**** and a waste of time unless you pay to play.

Last edited:

operwebe

iPF Noob
Reaction score

2. EXPERIANCED PLAYERS:

a. TROOP COUNT:
I've discovered that after 50 units of each Troop, you don’t get “credit” toward your attack or defense score. So if you have 50 scouts, you get 50 defense points, but if you have 74 scouts, you only get credit for 50. So I stop buying units at 50, and divert my money for new units. I realize that some missions might require 75 Scouts or 90 Rangers, so when I have that mission, I will buy them, but when I’m looking to spend money, I’ll slowly build up units until they reach 50 and no further.

b. DEFENSE SCORE: When I’m trying to decide which units to buy, I divide the defense score by the cost and buy the unit with the higher number. For example, a Fighter Jet (1 point / $4,000) = 0.00025 points per dollar. A Ranger costs $2,000 with 1 defense point = 0.0005. If you have $4,000, It makes more sense to buy two Rangers and get 2 defense points instead of one Jet with only 1 defense point. This helps me to economically get the largest defense score.

Interesting thoughts, Ranger89, I share many of them. However, I feel I need to point out some errors that might mislead new users:

a TROOP COUNTS: There are no limitations to the number of units above 50, you get full value att/def wise permitting you have the optimal unit/allies ratio.
Being a lvl 119, I have many "Troops" numbering anywhere from 200 and up to 500 units ( I had at my peak 550 Expert Attack Drones, a powerful offensive value-unit, and benefitted 100% on my scores from every single one of them. (I presenly have 1240 allies, and 7127 units).

b DEFENCE SCORE: Dividing defence score with cost as your means to get value for money, is not wise in the long run. You see, two weaker units with say def 15, are in no way equal to a single unit with def 30! If I was to buy units below att/def 15, they wouldn`t come into play at all. Not on overall att/def score, not in battle. The reason being that the average strenght on units I am allowed to bring into battle, allready are higher than 15...so buying more of those are useles. No matter score/cost ratio :) Seeing that your post serves well as a beginner guide, my advice to all newbees would be to BY AS STRONG A UNIT AS POSSIBLE at all times! Though one might be below level 20 today, benefitting with buying allmost anything, remember that all that money (or all those value points) spent on inferior units, normally are rendered useless the day you climb past lvl 50...

Moving to another subject, I note several here refer to so-called whales with irritation and content. I too hate gold-based success, but I have also known "whales" that never have spent a $ in this game ever....so how to handle the lvl 92 breakingpoint (where one is voulnerable to attacks from everyone)? Well, the "whales" too have been small one time....In my oppinion, too many players level up much too fast, without maintaining their army to a quality maching their level. If one neglects def ratings and accumulating new allies, focusing only on constructing base/doing missions, it should not come as a surpise what will happen to ones precious buildings when thrown to the wolf pack the day lvl 92 arrives. Well, whale pod, in this case perhaps :p

I think the greatest thing about MW is that thare are several different paths to success. I believe strongly in balance: base, hourly income, missions and defence ratings must all be looked after. Simultaniously, and at all times. (And time is a factor, the sooner you outgrow your lvl-peers, the sooner you can dominate them, and your losses to mission-based attacks from others are reduced greatly. Therefore, to grow efficient, newbees should allways have 3 engineering projects going on at the same time: construct a new building, uppgrade an old one, and expand base. When these 3 projects work for you around the clock, you will be competitive from the get-go.

I have been subject to whale attacks for the last 27 levels, and I`m still here and growing :) Bottom line; in order to protect yourself from whales, become one :D Without spending real money, I currently have an att/def score of 65 000/64 000. This is high enough to prevent attacks from the vast majority of whales, in my experience. I think my W/L stats proves this point right.

Fights Won: 15 593
Fights Lost: 692
Succ. raids: 761
Failed raids: 6

A win ratio of allmost 96,6%...

Enough self-promotion, I just felt it needed to be pointet out that success in MW does NOT have to depend on spending your hard earned cash to get gold :)

Not to forget: do not hesitate to add me as ally, you all :)

Yours

Erik

155 608 762

Last edited:

Peeples

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a reward for completing the Lieutenant rank (110K BP's). Next time you're looking at the rivals list, tap on "Rankings" then the arrow button for each rank to see what valor units unlock.

so when I look under rivals there is I cant find it I don't know them look in the wrong spot but I checked every place possible. and does it appear with all the other units to buy because I have over 110,000 XP now I'm level 77. And I still can't buy them. If anybody can help I would much appreciated thank you.!

Last edited:

Labrad911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have noticed times where my attack score has actually gone down after buying units using valor. Have you ever noticed this?

EighteenAlpha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so when I look under rivals there is I cant find it I don't know them look in the wrong spot but I checked every place possible. and does it appear with all the other units to buy because I have over 110,000 XP now I'm level 77. And I still can't buy them. If anybody can help I would much appreciated thank you.!

Just for clarification....
BP = Battle Points. Earned from attacking/raiding rivals (Yellow circle w/ crosshair points). Select the "RANKINGS" tab on the rivals list to find out where you stand.

XP = Experience points. Earned from doing missions and attacking/raiding (Yellow star points).

Don't confuse the two. Mission only players can be level 200 and still hold the rank of Private. But to get rank rewards, you'll have to do a lot of attacking/raiding.

IF you have 110K BP's, then you have the rank of Lieutenant and will find the Expert Attack Drone from the buy unit's screen in under the Ground tab...Just scroll right.

EighteenAlpha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have noticed times where my attack score has actually gone down after buying units using valor. Have you ever noticed this?

It's because the game automatically selects and counts the best available units. Whatever valor unit you bought likely bumped something close in Att/Def causing the change in numbers. You need to look at both attack and defense when buying units...you'll notice sometimes one will go down and the other goes up.

Mongo2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread is awesome, I am replying to Logan to get in near the top but props to Lucid, Logan, Alpha and others willing to share their valuable insight.

I haven't seen this covered yet but please confirm- the "units" you bring to battle are unit types, ie you can "overload" your stats in battle if you bring a large # of that type of unit? I say this b/c I notice multiple-item units show up high in the stats.

Related question- the system seems to assign some preference to indestructible units? Thanks again, and I am 507 610 978

EighteenAlpha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread is awesome, I am replying to Logan to get in near the top but props to Lucid, Logan, Alpha and others willing to share their valuable insight.

I haven't seen this covered yet but please confirm- the "units" you bring to battle are unit types, ie you can "overload" your stats in battle if you bring a large # of that type of unit? I say this b/c I notice multiple-item units show up high in the stats.

Related question- the system seems to assign some preference to indestructible units? Thanks again, and I am 507 610 978
Yes, the game chooses the best units for you (up to the max# allowed for your level+alliance total). It starts with your highest attack units and works its way down. This rule applies to indestructable units, so if you happen to have regular units with higher attack number, the indestructables might not be sent. A simple example (in the order which the game will choose):

Hardened Marine 31/35 (Valor)
Bio Warfare Troop 17/8 (125,000 Regular)
Bomb Disposal Unit 13/29 (Indestructable)

Say you could bring 500 units to battle and your inventory were something like: 400 Marines, 100 Bio Warfare, & 10 Bomb Disposal Units....because the units higher on the list equal the total number you can send, the indestructable Bomb Disposal Units would not be in the fight.

The same applies to your defense (when you're being attacked), only it'd be applied using the units with highest defense numbers.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Ranger89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I’m trying to learn about the new “Factions” that GREE introduced. It looks like simply another way to entice you to spend money, and cater to those who have already maxed out the game at level 200, but the details of how to use the Factions are scant. Can anyone tell me:

1) Fortifications: What good are they? Should you buy more fortifications or upgrade an existing one? What are the Pros and Cons? When you buy a Fortification, there is a column titled “Health” that displays 10,000, 15,000, 20,000, etc. What does that mean and what bearing does it have on the game or your avartar’s A/D rating?

2) Donations: Can you track who's donated? Several Factions seem to want a daily donation of cash to help buy bonuses or fortifications. How do you know who’s donating or who hasn’t.

3) Rank: Looks like you only have two ranks you can give (Officer and Leader) but I'm not sure. What does the "Officer" rank do and why would you want to "promote people?"

4) Bonuses: What do you get for $6,000,000 to increase your "guild"? Does that mean increase the size of your Faction from 20 with an additional two slots? So to get a 5% increase in building defense you must “buy” a Defense Building Defense” for $6,000,000… I think??!? However the icon has a status display of 0/5 so does that mean you have to pay $6,000,000,000 five times before you get the 5% bonus, or can you get a 5% bonus five times, for something like a 25% bonus if you spend $30,000,000?

I’ve created a Faction (4[SUP]th[/SUP] Ranger Battalion, 83863309) that has 20 people in it right now, but really have no idea what’s the best way to spend the money people are donating. i've "purchased" a few fortifications, but I'm not sure if it's better to hoard the money and try to save up for a $6,000,000 health increase or buy fortifications.

Last edited:

Mongo2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ranger, I wonder that too RE factions. Do we need to start a new thread RE the faction event? I've been playing maybe a month and can't determine strategy w/o knowing more about how it goes down?

Back to the original thread- I have not seen anything about LOSING units in battle/raids. Anyone have thoughts on that? I am actually experimenting w/adding "cannon fodder" (eg lt gunners/rangers/jeeps) b/c I am wondering if it calculates at random what units you lose? If so it reduces the chance of it being a "good" unit if you stack the deck w/cannon fodder.

Of course this is predicated on the fact, which seems true for the vast majority of players, that you are below the total # units you can bring to battle. Yeah, it is obvious it is better to have 25 Bradleys instead of 25 rangers. But the cost of the bradleys is so much higher. In a world of finite cash you can sometimes get more bang for buck w/crappy units, realizing you are going to lose them but are trading them for high reward raids.

charliechalk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course this is predicated on the fact, which seems true for the vast majority of players, that you are below the total # units you can bring to battle. Yeah, it is obvious it is better to have 25 Bradleys instead of 25 rangers. But the cost of the bradleys is so much higher. In a world of finite cash you can sometimes get more bang for buck w/crappy units, realizing you are going to lose them but are trading them for high reward raids.
A few weeks ago I decided to try and rapidly increase my defence score so I bought loads of super-cheap troops, trying to simply bump the number up so that fewer people would try and raid me (I know that they wouldn't help during any actual raid, I just wanted my defence score to be above 5000 rather than the 3700 where it was). So I bought around 1000 cheap troops (Light gunners and scouts, with a fair number of rangers and engineers too).

This now leaves me with the opposite problem to Mongo of being at level 51 with 239 Alliance members and 1555 units. i.e. I'm under my alliance allowance of 51x5 (255) having decided to ignore peoples' advice and only have allies at level 80 or above. So the units I can bring in to each battle is 239x4 = 956. What happens to the extra 600? Presumably the system picks my best 956 but 400 of those are terrible units of only one or two points for attack or defence.

Is there any way of killing off the crap units so that I can now much more slowly add high value units instead?

On a separate note, defensive buildings adds points to your total defence score (for attacks; I don't know if they all have a positive affect in addition to the local defences in raids).

EighteenAlpha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ranger, I wonder that too RE factions. Do we need to start a new thread RE the faction event? I've been playing maybe a month and can't determine strategy w/o knowing more about how it goes down?

Back to the original thread- I have not seen anything about LOSING units in battle/raids. Anyone have thoughts on that? I am actually experimenting w/adding "cannon fodder" (eg lt gunners/rangers/jeeps) b/c I am wondering if it calculates at random what units you lose? If so it reduces the chance of it being a "good" unit if you stack the deck w/cannon fodder.

I wouldn't worry too much about it...Factions are all kinds of F'd up right now and Gree knows all about it. I've had members randomly added and others that I were invited just disappear. And forget about trying to remove them, because you'll get a server error everytime. They're supposedly working on a fix, so until then the "event" is on hold.

Unit losses are relatively random. I say "relatively" because Nation bonuses, boost & defensive buildings, etc. are factored in. Example: If raiding/attacking a Russian player with a level 10 Airship Hanger and a bunch of SAM's? You're more likely to lose air units.

SO, don't waste your time filling your ranks with fodder. You're better off saving the funds to upgrade money buildings. That way you'll have the $$$ to buy and replace good units lost in battle.

EighteenAlpha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I decided to try and rapidly increase my defence score so I bought loads of super-cheap troops, trying to simply bump the number up so that fewer people would try and raid me (I know that they wouldn't help during any actual raid, I just wanted my defence score to be above 5000 rather than the 3700 where it was). So I bought around 1000 cheap troops (Light gunners and scouts, with a fair number of rangers and engineers too).

This now leaves me with the opposite problem to Mongo of being at level 51 with 239 Alliance members and 1555 units. i.e. I'm under my alliance allowance of 51x5 (255) having decided to ignore peoples' advice and only have allies at level 80 or above. So the units I can bring in to each battle is 239x4 = 956. What happens to the extra 600? Presumably the system picks my best 956 but 400 of those are terrible units of only one or two points for attack or defence.

Is there any way of killing off the crap units so that I can now much more slowly add high value units instead?

On a separate note, defensive buildings adds points to your total defence score (for attacks; I don't know if they all have a positive affect in addition to the local defences in raids).

As I said in the previous post, don't bother buying crap units. You're wasting your time, especially if you're trying to increase att/def numbers. Buying those units do very little. You could "pad" your numbers with 1000 Rangers, but when you get down to fighting? That number is pretty meaningless if the units are left out of the battle. The game chooses one unit over another is based on variables for each unit. So to answer your question about the extra 600? It's simple, they stay home.

Those people that say to only accept allies of a higher level are idiots. They're thinking that one takes their allies units into battle. That's incorrect...having allies only affects how many of your own units are taken into battle. Personally, I prefer allies of a lower level because it doesn't cut into the options in my rivals list.

As for removing units, you can submit a support ticket and request it. I've had it done, BUT ask yourself if you really trust them to get it right (I lost a couple of indestructables). Just remember that it doesn't hurt anything to have unused units in your inventory.

charliechalk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EighteenAlpha said:
Personally, I prefer allies of a lower level because it doesn't cut into the options in my rivals list.
can you elaborate a bit more on this? So far I see no reason whatsoever to have allies of either a high or a low level. As as you say, it is simply the maths relating to how many you have in total.

Most reactions

Latest posts