Modern War Combat Details

Discussion in 'Modern War Forum' started by LucidMostly, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Logan68

Logan68
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have determined that some units do not count towards your attack scores and do not go with you during raids/attacks. The units with 0 attack don't go, same with some other units...for instance I have never seen a medic listed in the battle results. So you need to adjust your calculations to take more troops, but make sure they have offensive power.

2. Logan68

Logan68
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Another thought, the higher you go the less benificial raids are. In order to increase your attack & defense scores you need to buy more expensive units, thus the units you lose during the battle may cost more than you gain. Begining to switch strategies now to build and upgrade money buildings, need more cash to buy units. (Currently level 68)

3. LucidMostly

LucidMostly
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Upon reading these replies and further testing, I would like to add a few things to the discussion.

Defense buildings add to your overall alliance defense score. This helps when defending against an attack. When defending a raid, however, only defensive buildings covering the building in question contribute. I was surprised to see my defense score increase after building one, but double checked before and after the next time I built one. It actually adds to yur score as soon as you place it, not after it's done being built. Not sure if it is in "play" yet but it does change the defense number.

Similarly for your income per hour, any money building placed instantly increases that number (even though you can't actually obtain it until it's done).

Raiding and attacking are always useful, regardless of level. It is true that as you level, you are purchasing more costly troops to maintain good attack and defense numbers, but you gain valor along the way. Essentially you are exchanging cash for valor which usually is a drastic increase in troop value. I have seen people use attack strategies to gain valor very effectively. Use cash to buy disposable but effective attack troops (eagle fighter for example) and use the valor for better troops. Once you're in the 200k per hour you can afford it.

Buy all money buildings. I currently use a calculation to determine which building to upgrade based on the daily increase in income, PER UPGRADE DURATION. This means you divide the increase (a day's worth) by the amount of time it takes to upgrade the building. Forget how much it costs, the good ones will always cost more, but you are injecting cash into your base significantly faster this way. I'd love to hear comments about how you all decide which money building to upgrade. I haven't found a more logical way than this yet. It takes longer to get your money back but is truly increasing your income per hour as fast as possible. FYI, I use realistic income per day rather than displayed. So my supply depot is still at level 5 because I don't intend on being online every 5 minutes of every hour to truly get what its increase is displaying. Upgrading the supply will increase your displayed income per hr pretty fast but you really aren't getting it. I upgrade oil rigs, refineries, mines, etc. since you truly get 100 % of the increase.

4. General Gordon

General Gordon
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone know how I can be attacked by someone and lose nearly half my bank balance? I had around 2million and lost nearly 1 million!

5. Thenoobsearcher

Thenoobsearcher
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Please tell me how can people lose with over 1000 attack more than the enemy defense?
    I have 10000 attack and I still lose to 8000 defense. Also how does attack/defense increase work?

#15 Thenoobsearcher, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  6. LucidMostly

LucidMostly
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    In response to Gordon:

If your vault is not big enough to protect all of your money, then the excess is vulnerable to being taken from an attacker. For example, if your vault can only protect 1 million but you have 3 million, then 2 of the 3 can be taken during attacks.

A side thought about allies and how many you should have:

Don't accept more allied than you can really support with non-trash troops. Getting 100 allies when you have basic troops only leaves you open to attacks from players that are growing slow and buying decent troops (still free though) to support a higher alliance number. I'm sure others can expand on this thought.

Basically it's not the allies number you should worry about. It's what your attack and defense are for each level you are at. Try and get the highest attack and defense for your current number of allies before accepting new ones. Accepting 50 allies in a day means you bring 200 more troops into battle. Chances are they will be worse than you are already bringing into battle, effectively watering down your overall force, even though your actual attack and defense seem to be increasing.

7. Logan68

Logan68
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Lucid - Good stuff, I agree with your thoughts about money buildings...income per hour versus upgrade time/cost is a smart way to go. I am also very analytical about the game (currently have an excel spreadsheet running that I use to pick what buildings to raid). I also agree with your thoughts about valor units....they are the easiest way to increase your attack/defense scores.

Just a few points below Level 75....still cost free. The supply box bonuses were pretty cool!

8. SOTEXSURFER

SOTEXSURFER
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Man, finally a MW thread worth reading. Lots of interesting ideas on here. I have to admit that I sort of lack the motivation to put forth the amount of effort and thought some of you have but I appreciate the insight. My original MW account (141 199 430) is on my iPhone4 and I was VERY bummed when I recently got the New iPad (3) and could not access my existing MW account. Needless to say I reluctantly started new one. I spend too much time f'ing with my current account. Eventually I relented and have begun to work my new account on the iPad as well (134 854 107).

It is very interesting starting a new base now that I have gained a lot of experience (I am currently level 79 on my original base). So my new base is progressing quickly. I have decided to spend a lot less time going on missions and more time attacking. My focus is going to be on buying units and money buildings.

It was interesting to learn that I should purchase expensive units. I hadn't really thought of that before but I had definitely recognized the need to buy units. I have been tremendously frustrated by my inability to win attacks, especially at the higher levels. So I started to buy a lot of less expensive units to increase my army. But obviously I have to purchase the more expensive units as well because they are individually more powerful when they are brought to a battle.

Also expansion is important because you have to have room to build money buildings. Just a word on defense buildings: I think they are effective, locally against raids, but like anything else, you can't rely solely on them. I have made some building purchase mistakes but eventually you learn which buildings to buy and which to avoid. Then again, once you buy a pair of good ROI buildings you've options become more limited so eventually you just buy whatever is available.

ALWAYS be increasing your VAULT. I learned that the hard way and have had to spend weeks increasing my vault to keep from losing all the revenue my base was producing. Losing millions to attackers when you are struggling to save for an oil platform is upsetting.

I finally did break down, give in and I have bought gold. I do not like the idea of competing with people who have just thrown a bunch of money at they bases but eventually I just figured there were things I wanted and have enough effort invested in the game to justify spending some real money. The only things I have bought with gold are a few minor gold only units, 2 geothermal plants and an emp cannon and 2 solar arrays. I also used some gold to buy a couple of shipping containers (with mystery contents) and have not been disappointed by what I got for 140 gold.

Like I said, I am still struggling to find enemies that I feel comfortable attacking. Check my current situation below:

Alliance# - 752
    # Units - 2191
    Attack - 10703
    Defense - 12557

Typically, I just look for foes that have lower numbers in every category. The higher level you are the more difficult this gets. But even then I still lose the occasional attack, which sucks ASS! I am going to try to start buying more expensive units and see how that starts to work. Also, I am not going to try and level up as quickly. I have spent a lot of energy leveling up and I think I should be more patient.

Coorect me if I am wrong: So given my current situation, in battle, I am supported by 395 allies (my current level, 79, x 5) so clearly I have far more than I need - but is this a bad thing?. Those 395 allies allow me to bring 1580 units to battle (395 x 4 units per ally)?

9. KillaCam

KillaCam
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I keep losing. Not sure why, my alliance attack and defense are always at least 400 points higher than those whom I attack however I always lose (well about 80% of the time). I'm level 62 with 197 allies. 902 units. AA of 4326 and AD of 5897. I make sure my unit numbers are more than or comparable to my enemy. What is going on??? I don't pay for anything and I don't have alot of lower level troops. I get the higher level troops

10. mnstr4lfe

mnstr4lfe
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have noticed that if you have more alliance members then you can bring in more units. Therefore, you are going to want a lot of allies and high ranked units.

#20 mnstr4lfe, May 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012