What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modern War Combat Details

OP
L

LucidMostly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In response to Gordon:

If your vault is not big enough to protect all of your money, then the excess is vulnerable to being taken from an attacker. For example, if your vault can only protect 1 million but you have 3 million, then 2 of the 3 can be taken during attacks.

A side thought about allies and how many you should have:

Don't accept more allied than you can really support with non-trash troops. Getting 100 allies when you have basic troops only leaves you open to attacks from players that are growing slow and buying decent troops (still free though) to support a higher alliance number. I'm sure others can expand on this thought.

Basically it's not the allies number you should worry about. It's what your attack and defense are for each level you are at. Try and get the highest attack and defense for your current number of allies before accepting new ones. Accepting 50 allies in a day means you bring 200 more troops into battle. Chances are they will be worse than you are already bringing into battle, effectively watering down your overall force, even though your actual attack and defense seem to be increasing.

Logan68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lucid - Good stuff, I agree with your thoughts about money buildings...income per hour versus upgrade time/cost is a smart way to go. I am also very analytical about the game (currently have an excel spreadsheet running that I use to pick what buildings to raid). I also agree with your thoughts about valor units....they are the easiest way to increase your attack/defense scores.

Just a few points below Level 75....still cost free. The supply box bonuses were pretty cool!

SOTEXSURFER

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man, finally a MW thread worth reading. Lots of interesting ideas on here. I have to admit that I sort of lack the motivation to put forth the amount of effort and thought some of you have but I appreciate the insight. My original MW account (141 199 430) is on my iPhone4 and I was VERY bummed when I recently got the New iPad (3) and could not access my existing MW account. Needless to say I reluctantly started new one. I spend too much time f'ing with my current account. Eventually I relented and have begun to work my new account on the iPad as well (134 854 107).

It is very interesting starting a new base now that I have gained a lot of experience (I am currently level 79 on my original base). So my new base is progressing quickly. I have decided to spend a lot less time going on missions and more time attacking. My focus is going to be on buying units and money buildings.

It was interesting to learn that I should purchase expensive units. I hadn't really thought of that before but I had definitely recognized the need to buy units. I have been tremendously frustrated by my inability to win attacks, especially at the higher levels. So I started to buy a lot of less expensive units to increase my army. But obviously I have to purchase the more expensive units as well because they are individually more powerful when they are brought to a battle.

Also expansion is important because you have to have room to build money buildings. Just a word on defense buildings: I think they are effective, locally against raids, but like anything else, you can't rely solely on them. I have made some building purchase mistakes but eventually you learn which buildings to buy and which to avoid. Then again, once you buy a pair of good ROI buildings you've options become more limited so eventually you just buy whatever is available.

ALWAYS be increasing your VAULT. I learned that the hard way and have had to spend weeks increasing my vault to keep from losing all the revenue my base was producing. Losing millions to attackers when you are struggling to save for an oil platform is upsetting.

I finally did break down, give in and I have bought gold. I do not like the idea of competing with people who have just thrown a bunch of money at they bases but eventually I just figured there were things I wanted and have enough effort invested in the game to justify spending some real money. The only things I have bought with gold are a few minor gold only units, 2 geothermal plants and an emp cannon and 2 solar arrays. I also used some gold to buy a couple of shipping containers (with mystery contents) and have not been disappointed by what I got for 140 gold.

Like I said, I am still struggling to find enemies that I feel comfortable attacking. Check my current situation below:

Alliance# - 752
# Units - 2191
Attack - 10703
Defense - 12557

Typically, I just look for foes that have lower numbers in every category. The higher level you are the more difficult this gets. But even then I still lose the occasional attack, which sucks ASS! I am going to try to start buying more expensive units and see how that starts to work. Also, I am not going to try and level up as quickly. I have spent a lot of energy leveling up and I think I should be more patient.

Coorect me if I am wrong: So given my current situation, in battle, I am supported by 395 allies (my current level, 79, x 5) so clearly I have far more than I need - but is this a bad thing?. Those 395 allies allow me to bring 1580 units to battle (395 x 4 units per ally)?

KillaCam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep losing. Not sure why, my alliance attack and defense are always at least 400 points higher than those whom I attack however I always lose (well about 80% of the time). I'm level 62 with 197 allies. 902 units. AA of 4326 and AD of 5897. I make sure my unit numbers are more than or comparable to my enemy. What is going on??? I don't pay for anything and I don't have alot of lower level troops. I get the higher level troops

mnstr4lfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have noticed that if you have more alliance members then you can bring in more units. Therefore, you are going to want a lot of allies and high ranked units.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miketheboxer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been playing this game for too long and find myself always grabbing for my iPad or my it ouch. Level 101 on my iPad and just recently (well like 2months) started a new game on my itouch, loving the new game but completely halted on attacking or raiding, increasing my allies refusing all invites and doing no missions so as not to gain any experience and level up. I have chosen to stay this way until all of my current buildings are maxed out to level 10,by level 20 I hope to be unstoppable. Try it out and I will challenge you on the battlefield come level 20, I'm sure it's months away.

boombostick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
help

Lucid - Good stuff, I agree with your thoughts about money buildings...income per hour versus upgrade time/cost is a smart way to go. I am also very analytical about the game (currently have an excel spreadsheet running that I use to pick what buildings to raid). I also agree with your thoughts about valor units....they are the easiest way to increase your attack/defense scores.

Just a few points below Level 75....still cost free. The supply box bonuses were pretty cool!

i was wondering if you could send me that excell spread sheet? im level 63 and seem to have 0 money all the time and my defense is at like 3000! so any advise would be greatfull!!!

thanks

pjooo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello alberto. kindly add me into ur allies. im just new to this game. my id is 690 430848. thanks.

pjooo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi fellow combats! im just new to this game. would you mind helping me on adding new allies to my troop. my id is 690 430 848. thanks!

Peeples

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i was wondering if you could send me that excell spread sheet? im level 63 and seem to have 0 money all the time and my defense is at like 3000! so any advise would be greatfull!!!

thanks

First of all I think your main problem is your allies. Everyone seems to be crazy about increasing their alliance size, but the more units you attack with the more your opponet gets to defend with. So if you have 100 allies you attacking with 400 units but your opponents have just as many. Your attack strength might be higher but you will probable loss 2 or 3 units per attack. On the other hand if you attack with no allies it will be 4 vs. 4. You will use your 4 best units which are probable indestructible so you won't loss any units.

The problem is your opponent’s defensive buildings. When you raid a building its defense is only increased by the defensive building in range, But when you attack your opponents defensive score is increased by all there defensive buildings. That is why people put defensive building around there perimeter because they don't care if there raided.

That being said if your keep your allies around 5 you should be able to find opponents with only 3 allies this should make it 20 vs. 12. You will find you can win most battles that way. Keep in mind that the people you attack don't really only have 3 allies. But the game only allows them to use 3 to keep it fair.

Be prepared to be attacked a lot though because anyone you attack can retaliate through the "news" tab. And when they do the game will allow them to use their entire army. So send all the money so they can’t steal it back.

Currently I'm leave 40 I’ve only been playing for a little less than 2 weeks. With only 5 allies my attack strength is around 500. And I’ve probable stolen around 30 million.

If you have any other questions please ask?

Good Luck

EighteenAlpha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all I think your main problem is your allies. Everyone seems to be crazy about increasing their alliance size, but the more units you attack with the more your opponet gets to defend with. So if you have 100 allies you attacking with 400 units but your opponents have just as many. Your attack strength might be higher but you will probable loss 2 or 3 units per attack. On the other hand if you attack with no allies it will be 4 vs. 4. You will use your 4 best units which are probable indestructible so you won't loss any units.

The problem is your opponent’s defensive buildings. When you raid a building its defense is only increased by the defensive building in range, But when you attack your opponents defensive score is increased by all there defensive buildings. That is why people put defensive building around there perimeter because they don't care if there raided.

That being said if your keep your allies around 5 you should be able to find opponents with only 3 allies this should make it 20 vs. 12. You will find you can win most battles that way. Keep in mind that the people you attack don't really only have 3 allies. But the game only allows them to use 3 to keep it fair.

Be prepared to be attacked a lot though because anyone you attack can retaliate through the "news" tab. And when they do the game will allow them to use their entire army. So send all the money so they can’t steal it back.

Currently I'm leave 40 I’ve only been playing for a little less than 2 weeks. With only 5 allies my attack strength is around 500. And I’ve probable stolen around 30 million.

If you have any other questions please ask?

Good Luck

You are incorrect...The person you attack will always bring the number of units THEIR alliance level allows. It is NOT a matched number of units. Why do players build big alliances? Well, simply put more allies means you bring more to the fight.

A few points to consider:
1) You max out at 500 allies or 2000 units for any given attack/defend. So do not exceed what you can support. (i.e. 500 allies but only 1100 units. You'll lose them fast vs. others with 500 allies and 2000+ units.)
2) The game automatically selects the units you bring to the fight in descending order. You might have nice att/def numbers, but that doesn't mean a thing if your numbers are "boosted" with low level troops (light gunners etc) that never make it to battle.
3) Having a minimum # of allies so only indestructable units are in play? A good tactic to keep from bleeding units, but it doesn't change whether you win or lose a fight.
4) As jjey put it in the #3 post of this thread: You never know where your opponent has allocated their skill points. Just because your numbers have someone beat by 20% doesn't not mean you're guaranteed a win. If they've spent most of their skill points on defense? You will lose about 30-40% (or more) of the time.

My tip? Always scout before attacking. And I don't mean just their Att/Def numbers...Know what your opponents W/L, inventory, and READ their comments*. You can learn a lot from this. And if you decide to attack (win or lose), always check the battle results. If you lost units, decide whether it's worth it before proceeding. Too many players think, "Oh yeah! I won. I'll attack again, and again...", but in the end they beat themselves by losing most of their "good" units.

I've played 3 accounts (Lvl: 200, 156, and 51) since Nov 2011, so I kinda know what I'm talking about. My current level 51 has a W/L of 782/26. <--- (95% of the "wins" from being attacked, because I've put just about every skill point into defense). Few have attacked me more than once, even those with double my stats don't hit me more than once...My guess is they lose more units than it's worth. On my end, I've lost maybe 12 units from the 26 losses. It also applies to being raided, as I've seen more failed raids on my base than anything else. I plan to get defense up into 200+ range before level 90, only adding to energy to do missions.

For those wondering...No, I've never spent a dime for fake gold. ;)

*Why read comments before attacking? Simple you don't want to attack the 'wrong' guy. For those who don't understand what this means? You will once you enter the "whale pool" (Team Pirate, Sisters of Mercy, etc). At level 92 (or something about there) you're fair game for EVERYONE above you. Those high level gold buying players LOVE going after people with really nice W/L, and raid records. So remember that when deciding what style of player you want to be.

Peeples

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Repley

You are incorrect...The person you attack will always bring the number of units THEIR alliance level allows. It is NOT a matched number of units. Why do players build big alliances? Well, simply put more allies means you bring more to the fight.

A few points to consider:
1) You max out at 500 allies or 2000 units for any given attack/defend. So do not exceed what you can support. (i.e. 500 allies but only 1100 units. You'll lose them fast vs. others with 500 allies and 2000+ units.)
2) The game automatically selects the units you bring to the fight in descending order. You might have nice att/def numbers, but that doesn't mean a thing if your numbers are "boosted" with low level troops (light gunners etc) that never make it to battle.
3) Having a minimum # of allies so only indestructable units are in play? A good tactic to keep from bleeding units, but it doesn't change whether you win or lose a fight.
4) As jjey put it in the #3 post of this thread: You never know where your opponent has allocated their skill points. Just because your numbers have someone beat by 20% doesn't not mean you're guaranteed a win. If they've spent most of their skill points on defense? You will lose about 30-40% (or more) of the time.

My tip? Always scout before attacking. And I don't mean just their Att/Def numbers...Know what your opponents W/L, inventory, and READ their comments*. You can learn a lot from this. And if you decide to attack (win or lose), always check the battle results. If you lost units, decide whether it's worth it before proceeding. Too many players think, "Oh yeah! I won. I'll attack again, and again...", but in the end they beat themselves by losing most of their "good" units.

I've played 3 accounts (Lvl: 200, 156, and 51) since Nov 2011, so I kinda know what I'm talking about. My current level 51 has a W/L of 782/26. <--- (95% of the "wins" from being attacked, because I've put just about every skill point into defense). Few have attacked me more than once, even those with double my stats don't hit me more than once...My guess is they lose more units than it's worth. On my end, I've lost maybe 12 units from the 26 losses. It also applies to being raided, as I've seen more failed raids on my base than anything else. I plan to get defense up into 200+ range before level 90, only adding to energy to do missions.

For those wondering...No, I've never spent a dime for fake gold. ;)

*Why read comments before attacking? Simple you don't want to attack the 'wrong' guy. For those who don't understand what this means? You will once you enter the "whale pool" (Team Pirate, Sisters of Mercy, etc). At level 92 (or something about there) you're fair game for EVERYONE above you. Those high level gold buying players LOVE going after people with really nice W/L, and raid records. So remember that when deciding what style of player you want to be.

First of all I would like to apologize. I was wrong about the game matching alliance numbers, I originally though because the game let you attack higher level opponents it also changed their alliance size to allow you to attack.

I do have a question about the "whale pool" are they allowed to attack any level player or any alliance numbered player? And if they can attack low alliance players how often would one appear on their raid list?

EighteenAlpha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all I would like to apologize. I was wrong about the game matching alliance numbers, I originally though because the game let you attack higher level opponents it also changed their alliance size to allow you to attack.

I do have a question about the "whale pool" are they allowed to attack any level player or any alliance numbered player? And if they can attack low alliance players how often would one appear on their raid list?

No need to apologize...just wanted to correct the info.

The whale pool was Funzio's way of catering to the high level/gold buying players whining about a limited rivals list. I've been told it starts at level 92. But I didn't notice until 94 (I'm not a PvP player) when I started getting hammered regularly by people 30-50 levels above me. I even had a level 200 (max for the game) raid every building and attack, simply because he could. Basically, once you've entered the pool you're at the bottom of the food chain and can attack/be attacked by everyone above you.

Your alliance doesn't change. You won't/can't attack an ally no matter what. But your rivals list will be very limited. It'll still be full of players, just none that you can or want to attack. You'll notice TONS of players sitting at around level 92-94 and going nowhere because they quit, leaving everything raided and their player usually too weak to be attacked.

Again, I can't stress enough how people need to choose wisely how they want to play the game. Attack and raid all you want, but enjoy your "loot" while you can because your stats as a "winner" will put you at the top of the list for every shark out there in the pool. It doesn't matter if you "turtle" your way up and I don't care how strong your economy is, you will lose more unit than you can ever replace. Example: My level 157 just lost enough units in one attack by a $1000+ "golden army" to reduce my att/def score 10K points. As a free player, there is nothing one can do...Except laugh at the idiots who pay to be "awesome" at a game and probably pay for sex too. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts