What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nader the new version of iPads operating system we have a new app called Messages. However, I can't seem to find out just how it works...what do I need to do to get it to work? Keep in mind I'm a 62 year old former windows user and doing my best to learn this iPad, which by the way, I love!

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Messages is one of the best points of IOS 5. You are able to send message to someone using IOS 5 on either their iPod touch, iPad or iPhone.

If you have an iPhone, it has the same functionality as the current IOS 4 messenger app, such as send text messages, picture, videos and contacts, as well as have group messaging.
However, with IOS 5 apple has introduced a few new additions, such a delivery and optional read receipts and the ability to see when the other person is typing(...)

When you get it you will need to set it up, so go to settings, messages and make sure you turn it on.
Lower down on the messages settings page you will see a receive at field, there you enter an email address which people can use to send you messages from there Apple IOS 5 device.
I suggest using the same email address you use for your App store.

Now, once it is set up, you can get people to send you free (data excluded) text messages from around the world using any device running iOS 5.
If you wish to send someone a message, they must be already saved as a contact, either their phone number if they are using an iPhone, or the email address they have setup in settings.
If you open you messages app, you will see on the left an option to create a message. Click on it and a new message will open. You can now go and select a contact you wish to send an iMessage to. If the contact has messages enabled, the contact will appear in a blue bubble and you can start typing and sending messages. However, if the name appears in a red bubble with a red exclamation point (!) then there is a problem with the contact. Either they have not set it up yet, or the details are incorrect.
The app keeps you message history for you, and you have a choice to either clear all you messages from that person, or only a selected few. This can be done by clicking the arrow button on the right hand side.
The button to its right is the contact button, showing you who you are currently in conversation with, so you can quickly look up information about them.
On the far left there is an edit button which allows you to delete your conversations which are listed below that, and finally you have the option to search through your conversations for keywords using the search field.

I really hope this will help you and was not to complicated.

Enjoy the iPad, I know you will find it awesome,
Chays

wingnut1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does it work over wifi or only 3G? The reason I ask is because on my iPad 2 and iPad 1 I now us my iPhone personal hotspot to connect to the Internet, thus saving €20 a month that I used to pay Vodafone. So I'm wondering if messaging will work for me.

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wingnut1 said:
Does it work over wifi or only 3G? The reason I ask is because on my iPad 2 and iPad 1 I now us my iPhone personal hotspot to connect to the Internet, thus saving €20 a month that I used to pay Vodafone. So I'm wondering if messaging will work for me.

It works over the wifi models as well. This is the reason why it can working an iPod touch, as an iPod only has wifi capability. As long as your device is able to connect to the internet, and your settings are correct, then you will be able to connect to iMessage and send and receive messages.

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the great "how-to" -- really helpful. Sounds like a useful feature now that I can see how it works. Thanks again!

Most reactions