A joke named "Multitasking" in 4.2.1

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by peled, Nov 23, 2010.

1. NumbLock

NumbLock
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I strongly believe that apple's scheme is right: Allow some specifically designed threads, supported by the operating system, to run in the background.

I haven't closed any of my 20 or so apps that are/were running, and I have been continually using my iPad for seven hours at work, and I still have 39% battery remaining.

I'm not going to be crunching numbers or converting videos in the background on my iPad. The fast app switching is what I really need - and it works to do the things that I need to do.

2. tap50

tap50
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    If you look in the iPad Guide, they mention this new toolbar, but they say it's just a way to view the 'Most Recently Used Apps'. Why is everyone calling this the Mulitask Bar? It doesn't show you what's currently running only what you have run in the past. I have turned my iPad off and on and the list remains the same. I would think that if it showed currently running apps, that it would be cleared out if the iPad was turned off.

See attached screen capture from the iPad User Guide.

Todd

Attached Files:

3. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Granted, my iPad is, essentially, a couch-surfing device. I don't play long extensive games, nor do I watch movies or videos ... much.

My morning ruoutine is to drink coffee, read my e-mails, read my news RSS feeds and browse some forums. iOS 4.2.1 has made this experience 100% better!

I now have my favorite radio station playing in the background. And now, if I open a web link from an e-mail (normal behavior when reading WSJ e-mails), I can easily go from Safari back to my e-mail ... and keep repeating the process.

No more do I have to decide whether to quit an app so I can go look at something else. I don't care because with the multi-tasking feature - which I would've called "rapid switching" - I don't have to! In fact, I've left this post twice and came right back to it without losing anything. Cool!

Yes, there are bugs ... my WiFi has to be restarted after I've turned off the iPad ... Atomic web browser crashes if you have too many tabs open (I'm guessing it's a RAM thing, cause it does it when a lot of apps are backgrounded) ... and sometimes Goodreader doesn't open right after a backgrounded-bring forward restart. But, overall...

Me = thrilled with iOS 4.2.1

As always, YMMV.

Marilyn

4. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:

Try this - open up a couple of applications at the same times - games or whatever and flip between them using this multitask bar.
    Now close them all out using the multitask bar, holding down on one and clicking the red cross on them all.
    Now open up each app again individually - notice how when you open them up again from scratch - they take longer to start and any that have a splash screen on start up displays this screen again but didn't when you jumped between them earlier?
    They are all running but in a 'suspend' state apart from those applications that are allowed to continue using processor time in the background e.g. music, downloads, skype etc.

5. hookbill

hookbill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    In the Unix world which my wife is completely familiar with these apps running in the background are considered sleeping. Yes the are there and they will open quickly but they are not running in the true context of say as it would if it was up and active on your screen.

Unfortunately iPad doesn't come with a Battery usage, at least I don't think it does but if it did you would see these apps running in the background would use very little battery, if any at all.

6. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I can partially agree with him, but only on one point....

I was REALLY REALLY hoping for YouTube videos to be able to load in the background, because especially in recent months, YouTube has been ridiculously slow for me, even on the PC. So I start it, pause, let it load most of the way, and then play it a few minutes later.

Oh well, guess we can't have it all. Does Android OS do that? YouTube loading in the background??

7. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    To the OP... I suggest you get a Windows Mobile device, many are coming out. No since dealing with something you don't like.

I am a PC user, and have been enjoying my iPad over 6 months, but I am not you. If I were you I would return/sell the iPad and get WinMo......

8. Digikid

Digikid
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:

Ditto,:p

9. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    YOUTUBE BACKGROUND DOWNLOADING!

If I say pretty please do you think Mr. Jobs will allow it?

10. Joe iPad

Joe iPad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I haven't upgraded yet, waiting to see what the issues might be.

The multitasking convo here has me interested tho, all I want is folders and to be able to listen to Pandora or Tunemark in the background, will it do those things?