What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A joke named "Multitasking" in 4.2.1

checkyoulater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am Asking for a very basic thing. I want to go to the browser get a movie to start downloading from YouTube, and while waiting - to read and/or reply to mail. Once I hear in the background that the movie started, I'll switch back to the browser, and watch the movie.

Another Example. I want to be able to open at the same time 5 sites on my browser. While the system is loading them I will use the time to write some memo. The sites will load in the background ( Internet might be sloaw - so it takes time...).

More:
I watch a movie. I am getting to a boring part , I want it to run in the background while I am into my mail. Geting back when the good part starts...
And a lot of other examples for real true multitasking.

here's my take on it.....

"multitasking" can be interpreted/implemented on deff levels. Apple's implementation is perfect for iOS devices, mainly because it saves precious battery time. I read somewhere that depending on how the app was made, it can complete several tasks in the background for some period of time before going on some sort of sleep mode. Although gimped compared to a full OS's multitasking ability, this becomes a strong point when considering the device was built for mobility and saving as much battery life as possible is key.

Also consider the iPad was never meant to completely replace a computer/laptop in every aspect. For the casual user full multitasking abilities is not really all that important.

-----
As pointed out earlier in your examples, the youtube app might need an update to be able to multitask, but that makes it clearly a non OS problem.

I prefer browsing on Atomic browser because of the availability of tabbed browsing, again a shortcoming of the app itself.

Finally if you have the movie playing already, why not scrub to the good parts and skip the bad ones altogether?
-----

If there's anything I wanted as far as multitasking goes was to have multiple screens to show the apps running. But then again this isn't a full OS we're talking about, and as far as mobile OS's go, this is definitely 2-3steps ahead of everyone else.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does iOS 4.2 allow you to play some music while also playing a game like Angry Birds with sounds?

How about buffer a slow loading youtube video while you are browsing in safari?

Does it allow you to leave a video without it stopping automatically? That was/is real annoying on 3.2. Sometimes a video isn't visually stimulating but you want to listen to the audio while doing something else. Or maybe you want to just jump into a different application real quick while it continues to play.

And then comes the biggest point of all. To even use any of the features of the multitasking, individual developers have to add the functionality to their apps. So some apps may multitask fine while others dont. This seems to go against the entire vision of Apple and is very confusing.

If there's anything I wanted as far as multitasking goes was to have multiple screens to show the apps running. But then again this isn't a full OS we're talking about, and as far as mobile OS's go, this is definitely 2-3steps ahead of everyone else.

Lets slow down there. 2-3 steps ahead of everyone else? Strip away the app store and anything not included stock by Apple and iOS is 2-3 steps behind stock Android. As far as mobile OS's go, Apple has allowed theirs to lag behind. Their massive appeal is the gigantic awesome app store. Get back to me when they include voice search, turn by turn navigation, WIDGETS and the ability to customize your device past changing the wallpaper.

Last edited:

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It does multi-task - you can play music in the background while checking your email - two tasks running concurrently therefore multi-tasking.
Apple have limited what can run in the background and for me that makes perfect sense - I used Pocket PCs for years and while it had a form of memory management, it wasn't ideal and you could easily floor the device. Modern PCs have the horsepower and memory not to mention screen real estate to run multiple applications in a usable fashion. Smaller device simply don't have this capability and the fact that the iPad does what it does so well is credit to Apple.
Just because the way Apple handle multi-tasking on their device does not meet some people's expectations, it doesn't mean it isn't multi-tasking.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heh you have to laugh at some of these comments.

It's a small gadget with a small chip and limited ram but some expectations and demands far out strip it's capabilities.

Enjoy it for what it can do now as it will be superceded next year by something better........but then we'll no doubt moan about it's limitations in turn.
For some the glass is always empty.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guy’s no need to reply at this bashing…. he can go to exchange or ask refund … so many million people happy how one can talk like this right ???

maybe is women refuse some game yesterday night so this morning it’s Apple is ennemy

Let him have it Marie and other female members!!!!!!! :D

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I strongly believe that apple's scheme is right: Allow some specifically designed threads, supported by the operating system, to run in the background.

I haven't closed any of my 20 or so apps that are/were running, and I have been continually using my iPad for seven hours at work, and I still have 39% battery remaining.

I'm not going to be crunching numbers or converting videos in the background on my iPad. The fast app switching is what I really need - and it works to do the things that I need to do.

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think Apple is probably doing OK without any input from Microsoft :)

They really should have called this something like "fast app switching". I think everyone complained for so long that iOS devices didn't have multi-tasking that Apple decided to use the term here. It sure isn't multi-tasking but it is better than nothing.

If you look in the iPad Guide, they mention this new toolbar, but they say it's just a way to view the 'Most Recently Used Apps'. Why is everyone calling this the Mulitask Bar? It doesn't show you what's currently running only what you have run in the past. I have turned my iPad off and on and the list remains the same. I would think that if it showed currently running apps, that it would be cleared out if the iPad was turned off.

See attached screen capture from the iPad User Guide.

Todd

Attachments

• iPad Guide Capture.jpg
    iPad Guide Capture.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 232

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Granted, my iPad is, essentially, a couch-surfing device. I don't play long extensive games, nor do I watch movies or videos ... much.

My morning ruoutine is to drink coffee, read my e-mails, read my news RSS feeds and browse some forums. iOS 4.2.1 has made this experience 100% better!

I now have my favorite radio station playing in the background. And now, if I open a web link from an e-mail (normal behavior when reading WSJ e-mails), I can easily go from Safari back to my e-mail ... and keep repeating the process.

No more do I have to decide whether to quit an app so I can go look at something else. I don't care because with the multi-tasking feature - which I would've called "rapid switching" - I don't have to! In fact, I've left this post twice and came right back to it without losing anything. Cool!

Yes, there are bugs ... my WiFi has to be restarted after I've turned off the iPad ... Atomic web browser crashes if you have too many tabs open (I'm guessing it's a RAM thing, cause it does it when a lot of apps are backgrounded) ... and sometimes Goodreader doesn't open right after a backgrounded-bring forward restart. But, overall...

Me = thrilled with iOS 4.2.1

As always, YMMV.

Marilyn

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think Apple is probably doing OK without any input from Microsoft :)

They really should have called this something like "fast app switching". I think everyone complained for so long that iOS devices didn't have multi-tasking that Apple decided to use the term here. It sure isn't multi-tasking but it is better than nothing.

If you look in the iPad Guide, they mention this new toolbar, but they say it's just a way to view the 'Most Recently Used Apps'. Why is everyone calling this the Mulitask Bar? It doesn't show you what's currently running only what you have run in the past. I have turned my iPad off and on and the list remains the same. I would think that if it showed currently running apps, that it would be cleared out if the iPad was turned off.

See attached screen capture from the iPad User Guide.

Todd

Try this - open up a couple of applications at the same times - games or whatever and flip between them using this multitask bar.
Now close them all out using the multitask bar, holding down on one and clicking the red cross on them all.
Now open up each app again individually - notice how when you open them up again from scratch - they take longer to start and any that have a splash screen on start up displays this screen again but didn't when you jumped between them earlier?
They are all running but in a 'suspend' state apart from those applications that are allowed to continue using processor time in the background e.g. music, downloads, skype etc.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the Unix world which my wife is completely familiar with these apps running in the background are considered sleeping. Yes the are there and they will open quickly but they are not running in the true context of say as it would if it was up and active on your screen.

Unfortunately iPad doesn't come with a Battery usage, at least I don't think it does but if it did you would see these apps running in the background would use very little battery, if any at all.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can partially agree with him, but only on one point....

I was REALLY REALLY hoping for YouTube videos to be able to load in the background, because especially in recent months, YouTube has been ridiculously slow for me, even on the PC. So I start it, pause, let it load most of the way, and then play it a few minutes later.

Oh well, guess we can't have it all. Does Android OS do that? YouTube loading in the background??

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I am a Windows User. Never had anything to do with apple's operating systems. The iPAD is a first. Now they call that storage place where they freeze various programs a Multi task program.. And people still believe it is.
It should be called Temp Storage.
Fact is Apple is great with marketing, succeeding to sale us that joke. They need learn some basic things from Microsoft :eek: :eek: :eek:

To the OP... I suggest you get a Windows Mobile device, many are coming out. No since dealing with something you don't like.

I am a PC user, and have been enjoying my iPad over 6 months, but I am not you. If I were you I would return/sell the iPad and get WinMo......

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
<sigh>

Exactly what do you want to multitask? If you took the time to understand how it works you would see it does multi-task for apps that can do something useful in the background. There is no benefit to running something like Angry Birds in the background, or for that matter the majority of applications. But returning to where you left is often helpful--though not always.

As someone who used to work for Microsoft's Embedded Devices devision (think... Windows CE) the comment about Microsoft was funny. It's been FOURTEEN years since Windows CE first came out. Most of that time it sucked and often because it kept things in memory for no benefit. So now fourteen years later Windows Phone 7 comes out and you think Apple should learn from it? Pray tell what??? Wait till 2021 before making iOS relevant? lol

At least complain about a specific app that you want to run in the background. If there is one that could use it, that would be a legitimate complaint.

preach.

Ditto,:p

Joe iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't upgraded yet, waiting to see what the issues might be.

The multitasking convo here has me interested tho, all I want is folders and to be able to listen to Pandora or Tunemark in the background, will it do those things?

Most reactions

Latest posts