What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medical use of the iPad

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There has been some discussion about the advantages of the iPad for the medical field. Mostly as a replacement for netbooks and laptops in various areas. A item today is about how after experimenting with 3 iPads in one hospital, that hospital is planning to buy 100 more to use. The hospital (in California) expects that most hospitals will find the iPad as a solution for many issues.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can see a large amount of ways that the iPad can be used in industry. The big issue is that to become a real force, someone is going to have to create a toughbook version that can take the abuse of many field jobs. There may need to be several levels of toughness, from minor abuse, to dropping it into a sludge pit tough.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can see a large amount of ways that the iPad can be used in industry. The big issue is that to become a real force, someone is going to have to create a toughbook version that can take the abuse of many field jobs. There may need to be several levels of toughness, from minor abuse, to dropping it into a sludge pit tough.

I'm guessing specialized rugged cases could take care of that.

fairoasis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it sounds like a fantastic idea. As a nurse, I realize I spend more time at the desk on the computer than I ever get to spend with a patient in the ED. The patient asks a question about labs...I have to run back to the desk to check the computer to see if the results are back. If the doctor wants to know what is taking so long for a CT, I have to stop, run to the computer and check the patient in the line up. I could definitely spend more time interacting with patients if I could whip out the iPad and have info at my fingertips. I hope it catches on nationwide.

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great post...I saw a vid clip about iPads being used to show pics of different pills to help more "senior" patients describe to Med staff what kind of pills they take.

VampiressRN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
vampswillowhouse.willowhouse.com
Networking here with fellow nurses. I did ICU for 16 years and could sure see how it would be awesome for charting, etc. I agree, the rugged/waterproof case will be important.

The last 16 years I have been involved in Telephone Nursing. I currently manage a Clinical Training Team. I got my iPad so I can take meeting notes and track action items and also manage projects at work. I also have a direct sales (Willow House) business on the side and will be using my iPad to access my work station and place orders when I am not at home.

The Merck Manual is great. I am still shopping for a drug resource that I like. Since I build e-Learning products at work, I will be looking for apps to help me with that too.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My last visit, my doctor was using an iPad. Shortly after I got my iPad, he was using a netbook and asked a bunch of questions about the iPad. I guess he liked my answers.

premo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is all fantastic. I agree that the iPad opens new possibilities in the medical field. I'm not there, myself, but my daughter starts her first job in cardio-sonography in 2 weeks, so I ordered her an iPad thinking it could be great for her. I would love to hear more about this.

Most reactions

Latest posts