What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about using ipad in the hospital (can I dictate and print from it?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pittsburghian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a medical resident that would like to buy an ipad to ideally be able to (1) dicate quick patient notes after seeing patients in the hospital, and (2) print those notes out on a portable printer via bluetooth in order to put into patient charts. I've looked at some small laptops/netbooks to do this, but anticipate that they would be too cumbersome.

I'm not an apple person at all (the only apple product i have is my ipad touch) - is this something that you think I can do? are there (good, easy to use) apps to do this?

Thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a medical resident that would like to buy an ipad to ideally be able to (1) dicate quick patient notes after seeing patients in the hospital, and (2) print those notes out on a portable printer via bluetooth in order to put into patient charts. I've looked at some small laptops/netbooks to do this, but anticipate that they would be too cumbersome.

I'm not an apple person at all (the only apple product i have is my ipad touch) - is this something that you think I can do? are there (good, easy to use) apps to do this?

Thanks!

The iPad does not support Bluetooth printers. Apple have their own printing system called 'Airprint' that prints via WiFi to Airprint compatible printers directly from within apps. However there are third-party apps that will let you print to (virtually) any WiFi printer (i.e. does not have to be Airprint compatible). As regards dictation, the Dragon dictation 'voice to text' program is available (free) as an app. I have not used it but it gets mixed reviews - some people think it's truly wonderful, while others clearly have problems.

If you have an Apple store near you, go and try the iPad out. I think you'll like it. Better still, find someone who has one!

Have fun.

Tim
Scotland

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pittsburghian said:

Thanks!

Severalapps that you can dictate to record notes. They are fairly accurate - printing is also an option.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but it you aren't aware of the many medical related apps available for the iPad you should download iTunes and browse the App Store.

DaWeav

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Printing wirelessly over bluetooth is typically unencrypted and since you mentioned the buzz words 'Hospital' and 'Patients', please think about your patient's privacy and HIPAA, OK?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It has no microphone!

The little hole right next to the audio jack is the microphone. There are numerous audio recording apps for the iPad that take advantage of it.

Perhaps you are confusing it with the second generation iPod Touch. It has no microphone, though audio apps will still work with a plug in microphone like the one sold by Apple.

Becneelan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try the Samsung Galaxy Tab S or Pro series and use the Samsung mobile print app from Google Play Store to print via Bluetooth.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try the Samsung Galaxy Tab S or Pro series and use the Samsung mobile print app from Google Play Store to print via Bluetooth.

BOY - you're replying to a 4 year old thread and w/ a recommendation not to use an Apple device - probably not a welcome response here? ;) Dave

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks!

Just wondering if you should be speaking to your Corporate hospital IT Department along with what is currently being used in your Health System. Not sure if you have done this or not, but dealing with PHI and Patient Personal Identifiers requires a great deal of security compliance in order to comply with HIPAA regulations. Many Healthcare Systems have moved towards electronic medical records, so printing out encounter notes are no longer done. Once entered electronically into the system (in my case, EPIC)-your documentation entry is electronically signed and completed.

EDIT: well this is an old thread, but will keep my info here for additional info.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...and with this, we will now close this thread.

Ski ~ iPadforums Admin | iPhoneForums Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts