What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maps dilayed on Maps App have become disjointed

Polo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After working OK, the maps displayed on the iPad have become disjointed. It looks as if a map is built up using squares that normally fit together seamlessly. They are now appearing apparently randomly around the screen, not overlapping, just out of order, so the streets are chopped up all over the screen (in squares). I have tried it for maps in Oz, UK, USA and all have same problem. My laptop displays everything OK, so it looks like I have an iPad problem. As I am planning several trips this is most inconvenient.

I have tried to re-install but as this is an Apple factory installed app, I cannot delete the problem app.

Would a reset to factory settings help as a last resort?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try the following before resorting to a restore.

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Clear: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.
If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

RonfromOZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also getting disjointed map squares in the Ipad map app.
I have used the app almost daily for over a year, but this problem has only occurred in the last few days.
I have tried the reset suggested, but it made no difference.
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Ben_Dover2205

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to confirm the problems. Any map I have been looking at has been giving me problems, looking as if there is a mess in organizing the satellite pictures (misplaced squares).
I hope this problem is being addressed, as I am a big user of maps.
Thanks for any solution!

PS: I did already both the closing of all the application to free up the memory, as well as a hard reboot of the iPad 2 (iOS 5)

Jackh9228

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
As everyone else here I am a big user of the maps, and need it to work as I use it to navigate in a new city. The past few days it has been doing exactly what has been mentioned above. I have tried all of the fixes suggested above, to no avail. Any other suggestion please?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, if the problem is widespread it's unlikely to be the fault of the iPad. It is possible there is a problem with one of Google's servers and we will have to wait for them to resolve it. Try again later is all I can suggest at this point.

OP
P

Polo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agree that everything seems to have settled down again and everything is displayed OK. Interesting how difficult it was to get a message through to Apple and Google. Didn't succeed!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good to hear it's working.

Unless you can get Apple Tech Support (90 days free after your purchase, or with an Apple Care policy), you only have email support for the iStores. They would not be able to help you with that kind of problem.

The Apple feedback is to help Apple improve it's products, not for giving solutions or status of problems.

Google's reputation for its email only support is less than stellar. Then again it is for free products, so that they even have it is something.

Just two more reasons why we can be glad we have a place like this to share info and commiserate. :)

RonfromOZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. Maps app is working normally again here too.
I didn't realise how much I used it - until I couldn't!

Now just need the latitude fixed on my HP Touchpad......!
(it is only 60km out..!)..... But that doesn't belong in this forum, I guess.

Most reactions