What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Map App?

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am planning a major trip around the USA this summer with my travel trailer.

I am interested in finding a high quality map app for use on the road. It needs have the maps available off-line as my iPad 1 is the wifi only version.

I would like to have a large scale US map that shows the interstate highways for long range planning and the ability to access state, county, and cuty maps as the need arises.

I have spent some time in the app store, but nothing appears to meet my needs.

Can anyone here help?

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you looked at NavFree GPS Live USA ? With this app you have to download each state for the maps.

LINK:
App Store - Navfree GPS Live USA

Now you can use either in-built address lookup or Google for address search. When using in-built lookup, no internet connection required for application usage. Great for travellers!

- Download only states you need. Takes much less space on iPhone (iPad)!
- Updated maps
- Online POI search (with live special offers and discounts!)
- Fixed problems with routing
- New HD crisp icons

*** Other updates ****
- Improved map view
- Improved performance
- Ajustable 3D view

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Randy,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, but the reviews in the app store are bimodal: roughly the same number gave it a one star as a five star. I am looking for something that is very, very good---and will be willing to pay the pricetag tgat goes with it!

Thus far, I have checked Garmin and Tomtom, with the latter looking better.

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd recommend 'offmaps' I've been using it for a number of years whenever I go abroad. Its a brilliant app and has a lot of the functionality most other maps do. You can download any am region of your choice by creating a box over the area you want. I just checked and if you wanted a map of the whole of America at its most zoomed in level, which is pretty good (I've attached a screen shot) it would take up around 2GB apparently. Only downside is that I don't think you can search for routes when it's offline although I could be mistaken. Sorry if this isn't what you're looking for.

Sent via iPF from my iPad2 iOS 5.1.

EDIT: I've uploaded a few more of the map showing a couple different zoom in levels showing the main roads (which I'm guessing are 'interstate highways' [im British so I'm not to sure ;)]) as well as a slightly more zoomed in level and the zoomed inn enough to see the names.

I hope I've helped :).

Attachments

• image-1136975758.jpg
    image-1136975758.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 803
  • image-3267151778.jpg
    image-3267151778.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 429
  • image-2924938819.jpg
    image-2924938819.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 451
  • image-2410299089.jpg
    image-2410299089.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:

AlexZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried MapsWithMe? It's free, detailed and fully offline map of the whole World, including USA. If I'm not mistaken, all detailed USA states are about 1GB or something, but you can download once only those states you will need.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
..........Thus far, I have checked Garmin and Tomtom, with the latter looking better.

Hi Tuttle - I own the Garmin Nuvi (son has had a number of GPS devices and now uses a Tomtom) - if not already owned and for the type of trip you are planning, I would strongly urge taking along a GPS - I'd probably take along the Garmin and a large good printed USA Road Atlas if I were doing a multi-state tour.

But will be interested in others' suggestions and your final solution(s) - good luck! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts