What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with getting correct current location in Maps application

shentonbain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently bought an apple I-pad 2 (32- WiFi only) Note that when I use Maps app my current location when at home is shown as somewhere in USA and not in Milton Keynes. Have been on to Apple support and done resets to no avail. Visited the Apple store in Milton Keynes as well and their solution was they thought there could be a problem with the IP address being set?? for the USA. Have checked this and it seems ok and set in the uk. (The current location worked ok in their store). Any help would be much appreciated.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like Apple's location database has your home network pegged as being in the U.S. This has been known to happen now and then, and considering the size of the database errors are inevitable.

I don't know of any direct way to fix this. However, if you have friends with iPhones or 3G iPads, you could try having them visit a few times and locating you on the Map app. Apple collects this data (anonymized) and uses it to update their location database. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the update though.

You could also ask the Apple Store people if they know of a way to report location database errors. They might, though I wouldn't count on it.

stevnim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might also try reporting the error to Google, as the Maps program is using Google Earth datasets.

Most reactions