What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Managing a dual ipad environment

Greygoose_ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought the ipad 3 , gave the ipad 2 to my wife.

i want to link these ipads so that they can be synced (ie. photo stream can work when we take a picture with one, it shows up on the other). BTW, i have yet to get this to work since getting the second ipad. worked great when there was just one ipad on the account.

i have set up both ipads to have the same apple id. I thought that would be all it would take. it obviously isnt.

Now i'm working with face time. i would like the two ipads to work independently for this app. problem is that its all tied to one apple id. i thought i could sign in using my apple id, and change the associated email address on the ipad 2 to my wifes, but the email addresses are tied to the apple id, so i'm not able to do it.

if i set up a new apple id for her, then we lose the ability to sync under the same apple id.

any suggestions on how to keep these ipads in sync, but still face time using different email accounts?

i guess one solution is to give up face time and just use skype, but any other ideas are certainly welcome (along with any tips and tricks i may be missing to get my photo stream working for both ipads).

thanx for your help

GreyGoose

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To use FaceTime on two iPads first input a new email address into the Receive at... Field, then delete the original one. You may need to verify the new email address with Apple on your account page.

Once you've done this, you won't receive each others FaceTime calls.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure you've turned on Photo Stream in the iCloud settings on both devices, and that same account is signed in there. It can be different than the App Store sign in, or other areas.

Hold in mind that only new photos (taken after you've turned on Photo Stream) will be synced to/from the device. It can take a while as well. The syncing only happens when the iPad is connected to wi-fi; but upload an download. So your looking at two delays. Photo Stream while nice is not always fast.

As far as FaceTime and iCloud, you can use two different Apple IDs. The sign-in in FaceTime will not interfere with the iCloud sign-in.

You can also create an email account for an iCloud account via the Mail, Contacts, Calendars settings. As long as you already have your iCloud setup done in iCloud settings, it should create second account; though you won't have every feature that you get in the iCloud settings.

That means the email for both accounts will be available, but you can turn off email, contacts, and calendars in the iCloud settings to keep them out of the apps.

At least I'm pretty sure you can do this. I don't have a second account to try it myself.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts