What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo Management

meissner61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I thought I would post here since I dont know much about Ipad but I figured there must be an easier solution to my problem.

I have a very large photo collection and would like to hold it all on the ipad, so far no problem I bought a 64g version and thats plenty of space for me. When I transfered all the photos from my computer to the Ipad it took them all and even made the appropriate folders/albums that i had on my PC, Great! Now however i cant add anything to those transferred albums :( So i downoaded another photo app (PhotoMngrPro) Photo mananger pro and it does exactly what I want except that when I import photos into it I realized it makes a COPY of that photo.... This is going to be a huge issue as I will want to re-arrange all my photos and so everything will be duplicated wasting a lot of space. Is there any way for me to do easy photo management on the Ipad ? I just need to be able to make folders and sub-folders and name and rename them. nothing complicated. Thanks for your time.

Ageace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you arrange photos into albums they are copied as links to the original master file. You are unable to move photos within the iPad, only create a link - which it sound like you have done. Therefore you are not wasting any space as links use a tiny amount of space. If you want to arrange into albums as the original files you must do it on your PC. Hers how iOS: Importing personal photos and videos from iOS devices to your computer

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you sync photos using iTunes, all changes must be made on the computer to the folders that you are syncing; then you sync again. There is no way to make change on the iPad with this type of album.

When using Photo Manager Pro you are better off using it's own built in methods of importing photos, for two reasons.

One, you don't have to fiddle with unwanted copies in the Photos app.

Two, you'll get the original sized photos. iTunes optimizes synced photos for viewing on the iPad. Mostly that means making large ones smaller to conserve space.

You'll still have to manually transfer and delete photos taken on the iPad itself (or imported using the Camera Connection Kit), but it will be less of a headache.

OP
M

meissner61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not sure if i fully understand what youre saying. Do you mean, I should erase all the photos I synced in when I first got the IPAD (the photos that went into the stock photo app) and re sync all my photos into photo mananger pro?
EDIT: And therefore there will not be any duplicates?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You need to make a basic choice. Whether you will use the Photos app as your primary method of storing and organizing photos on the iPad, or another app like Photo Manager Pro. That, or live with a massive amount of duplication and fiddling around between them.

With Photos your organization is limited, and you must do it on the computer before syncing. But the syncing of the Photos to the iPad is simple and mostly automatic.

With Photo Manager Pro you will have to transfer your photos manually (using one of the 5 or 6 supported methods), but you have much greater control over the organization and quality of the Photos, and can do it directly on the iPad.

You can not eliminate the need for the Photos app, but you can minimize it.

This is the nature of the iPad. Because it does not have a central file system you can't just dump files and use them in multiple apps. Not without duplicating the files. You need to commit to an app that you like and keep the files there.

Or you can do some interesting file management things with cloud services, but thats only practical if you are willing to limit your ability to access the files to when you have a good internet connection, and again, you have to pick the right apps.

OP
M

meissner61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay what you are saying makes sense, one last question though - If I commit to using the photo mananger pro app if I take pictures with the ipad camera wont they still go directly to the photos app? Meaning i will have to import and delete every time?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay what you are saying makes sense, one last question though - If I commit to using the photo mananger pro app if I take pictures with the ipad camera wont they still go directly to the photos app? Meaning i will have to import and delete every time?

Yes, they will go directly to the Photos app (it's Apple'd default for picture-taking).

It does sound a bit daunting. But, to me, it's still easier than trying to deal with transferring pictures to and from iTunes. Especially since you won't need a computer to do the transfer.

Marilyn

P.S. Sorry to jump in on your conversation, but I use the iFiles app to keep track of my pictures. And yes, it's annoying to remember to move pictures over. But, after you do it a couple of times, it becomes second nature. So, from my experience, a photo management app works great... :)

OP
M

meissner61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah I actually just figured out that the photo mananger app has its own camera function where the pictures go directly in to the folder you clicked the camera from! It shouldnt be too bad with this newfound knowledge! Thanks for all the help folks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah I actually just figured out that the photo mananger app has its own camera function where the pictures go directly in to the folder you clicked the camera from! It shouldnt be too bad with this newfound knowledge! Thanks for all the help folks

Oh, hey! Now that IS cool! I did not know it had its own camera!

I used this app a while ago, removed it for whatever reason. Now, I'm going to have to take a closer look at it. Since I move pictures I take to another app, why shouldn't I just take the pictures from within the app. You can have a folder all ready and take the pictures right from it.

This is seriously cool. Thanks for the discovery (and for telling us)!

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
.S. Sorry to jump in on your conversation, but I use the iFiles app to keep track of my pictures. And yes, it's annoying to remember to move pictures over. But, after you do it a couple of times, it becomes second nature. So, from my experience, a photo management app works great... :)

Please do jump in. I did. ;)

I was offline, and just now got back. Tag team is a big time saver; which is why I answered when I saw Ageace was offline.

lizzieh

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In simple terms, to help me understand. I can ignore iTunes and just import the photos either by using a USB app or my camera connection kit, filing them all on the photo app ?

In other words, if they are in folders on my photo app, I don't need to also keep them in the iPads photo stream/camera roll?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
M

meissner61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah you can. But what I found I hate about that stupid photos app is that it is extremely limited in what it can do. To the point where you cant even delete synced photos which is a huge issue for me as I got this Ipad for my mom to replace her laptop so she doesnt want to have to deal with syncing anything or even touching a computer anymore.

Most reactions