What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magazine subscriptions

moobox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone
Sorry if this has been covered or if I am asking a question with an obvious answer. I'm new to IPAD and in fact I'm new to Apple. I got an IPAD 4 16 GB. I have subscribed to a bunch of magazines, mostly guitar mags eg. Guitarist, Guitar Techiques, Acoutic Guitar. Dowloading these issues I see that it is pretty intensive on using up the resource available ie. the 16GB aint 16GB no more and I still want to download plenty more issues on these subscritions. Thing is, I dont wat to toss the old editions. Sort of keep them for reference or posterity or whatever. But I have no clue if this is possible. It certainly doesnt look like ICloud is going to accommodate this. Anyone else in the same situation? Any way around this? One or two mags you get in PDF format and so I think that I should be able to store on my laptop via Dropbox. But for the most part, the mags have an app from where you download issues of the magazine.

Cheers - Ed

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know about your subscriptions, but I subscribe to National Geographic and every issue I've purchased or is included in my subscription, is archived and available for free re-downloading if I delete it from my iPad. Check to see if your subscriptions have an archive feature.

OP
M

moobox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well yes. I see that some have a "restore purchases" option but does that go through the whole darned download process again. Because that takes quite a while in my case. And anyway, who is to say that the backissues will be around for as long as I may want or need them.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with keeping your back issues on the iPad is that magazines are memory hogs. A well illustrated magazine can easily consume over 300MB of memory. It won't take many issues to fill your iPad up.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no way around it as far as I know. You cannot move them off your iPad or print them out. You can redownloaded them.

If you get kindle mags, then you can dow load them to more devices, like a PC or laptop. I don't know if newsstand mags can be downloaded to a Mac or not.

mekandrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
moobox said:
Well yes. I see that some have a "restore purchases" option but does that go through the whole darned download process again. Because that takes quite a while in my case. And anyway, who is to say that the backissues will be around for as long as I may want or need them.

How do I manage memory. I am trying to upgrade a game and the iPad says I don't have enough room but I have 4.4 gb . I have saved everything to iCloud but I can't seem to make enough room

Most reactions