What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost data

mainmaq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was advices by someone from whose office I bought some video messages to restore from backup, as a way to regain my videos which wiped off after I upgraded to ios 5. I just did that a few minutes ago but now all my notes and pictures taken after the last back up date have been wiped out. Any help on how to get them back?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unless you were syncing them with some service, no, they are gone.

If you have iCloud and Photo Stream turned on, you will probably find your pictures there. If not, then they are gone.

It's too bad your office buddy didn't emphasize that restoring from backup replaces everything on the iPad with older data, not just videos.

Sorry.

OP
M

mainmaq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ICloud is turned one, unfortunately photostream was off. But documents and data was on. How can I recover my current docs that were lost?
Thanks for your response.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Documents & Data turns on the ability of apps to save documents to iCloud. It depends on the app to actually do this. Unless the app that had your documents was iCloud capable, and you had this ability turned on in the app, no documents were saved.

If the documents were saved by this method, all you need to do enable Documents & Data again (if needed) and turn it on in the parent app. The documents will automatically sync back to the app.

At least this is how the iWorks apps and GoodReader work. Those are the only two app I have that use this iCloud feature.

The only other place your documents could be was in the iCloud backup itself. Since you already restored from this (?), they obviously were not in that backup; and that is what caused the problem.

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am sure itunes makes an automatic backup before it restores anything.if that is the case you can restore back to before your lost your photos?or am I totally wrong?

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
important photos, documents and other important "stuff" should be backed up constantly by the user...I guess we all learn this the hard way once.

Most reactions

Latest posts