Local UPS just told me this Week!

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by AbblePC, Mar 22, 2010.

1. AbblePC

AbblePC iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I was just out for a stroll with the dogs after getting home early, I stopped to talk with two UPS drivers on my street. I asked one of two if they heard anything for Apple's iPad deliveries to occur on or near the 3rd of April.

His answer was at first, "not really, we only deliver air on Saturday's", which I then replied, "Oh, wasn't sure if maybe Apple had some deal with UPS for that particular saturday delivery since I felt it would be a lot of work for Fed Ex alone, considering the amount of pre-orders Apple had for the devices."

This is when he said, "well we were told that we are expected to ship tons of them out, this, week." After a puzzled look on my face, I got to thinking, my sources typically are believable at the local UPS warehouse, can I believe this guy too?

If there is any truth at all to his statements, my first guess would be that perhaps secretly iPads are starting to ship to local Apple Stores and or perhaps developers that are significant users of the App Store and Jobs thought he would ship a little early to them, one to get them into the hands earlier for testing purposes and two, to lesson the load of shipping ALL iPads on the 3rd which had been pre-ordred.

Another thought occurred at this point, why was there two drivers on one truck? Normally we have one driver, the only time I see two to one truck is for holiday shipping or when they have a rare heavy shipment to an address that one driver alone can not handle. Could this also mean training or adding the other driver on the route to handle the extra packages if indeed they are shipping out "tons" of iPads this week?

Lots to think about, but my gut still tells me that Fed Ex will be the only ones to ship for Saturday the 3rd of April and this was all an iPad pre-wet dream and jumping to conclusions on my part.

What does this all sound like to you on the forum, I am interested in any rumors others have heard from their regular shipping hounds as well. :comingsoon:
  2. tehBrad

tehBrad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I heard this once in school about how UPS workers once had a strike and nothing was delivered in that time therefore companies started using two shipping companies to prevent such a big lack of shipments.
    i would think that they would use at least two shipping companies but its just an educated guess :D
  3. brobar

brobar iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I can't imagine a couple of hundred thousand boxes being shipped in one day requiring THAT much more UPS/FedEx help... but then again maybe it would.

I don't think they would ship it early though... not without at least letting people know first. Imagine all the people who ordered an iPad who have made arrangements to make sure they are home on April 3rd all day so they can be there when it is delivered. No imagine their frustration when an attempted delivery is made a week or so earlier and either nobody is home to accept delivery, it has to go back to a warehouse or even worse either FedEx or UPS leave it on their front porch step and it gets stolen, rained on, etc...

I'm 99% sure they will be delivered on Apr 3rd or later.
  4. Ellie

Ellie iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I thought FedEx delivers for Apple? also you have to sign for all items delivered.
  5. iDan

iDan Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +95 / 2
    Wow, this is great to hear! Can you imagine how expensive it would be if Apple was to send each iPad overnight air Saturday delivering? That would cost a fortune!! They could save millions by shipping the units ground, 1 week in advance.
  6. Finnedog

Finnedog iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I would assume that FedEx would have control of these shipments a day or two early and staged somewhere. Logistically you can't ship hundreds of thousands via airplane from China all on the same day can you???
  7. Ellie

Ellie iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FedEx will ship home ground 5 days before the 3rd and they will be delivered on the 3rd. FedEx home ground delivers on Saturdays. This is what I was told by Apple. You will receive an email when your package is shipped with the tracking number so you can follow your delivery on computer. You can find this info. on the computer.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  8. JohnnyApple

JohnnyApple Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Can't wait to get mine!
  9. Isaac Newton

Isaac Newton iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well...I'll be in line on April 3rd (pre-ordered for pick up). My Son and I will hang, talk, bond etc.

It's my guess he will tell stories of "I remember when the first iPad was released..." to his kids. I think that will be way cool.

Just sayin. :)
  10. MacDude

MacDude iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have ordered items that had a "fixed release date" like the iPad, received a tracking number saying it was shipped 3 or 4 days early and then had the local distribution center hold them until the release date.

It would not surprise me if Apple is having FedEx do it again this time.
  11. Ellie

Ellie iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am sure your right

As long as it arrives on the third Iwill be happy:)
  12. Isaac Newton

Isaac Newton iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Very good point! It would ease the pressures of delivery by Fed Ex because all items are virtually in position near the address of delivery. And would allow Apple to guarantee delivery simultaneously on one single day all over the U.S. Possibly better odds than Santa Clause! :D
  13. AbblePC

AbblePC iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Looks like I was right, they are shipping out this week, but to reviewers so that those reviews will be made available to the public by launch day.

Read it all here on MAcRumors :ipad-case:
  14. KiltedTim

KiltedTim iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmmm... wonder if we'll learn anything new before launch day?
  15. kvmkvm

kvmkvm iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mine being shipped to local ups store

I will check each and every day starting on the First !
  16. LMControl

LMControl iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Most likely UPS will be doing the commercial (retail) deliveries where they can be held for release until Saturday and FedEx will handle the Saturday residential deliveries.
  17. DavidNM

DavidNM iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Guaranteed the second these start to deliver / ship - it'll be all over the net and this site!
  18. Jaseph

Jaseph iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just my thoughts, but the one thing Apple will try to avoid at all costs is any kind of fiasco with the first batch of Ipads shipped.

Even if it's say 200k units, that is still a lot. Of course the goal isn't to just barely make the release date. There will be Ipads all ready to be shipped to your door the 3rd, which means they will be in the nearest warehouse before that.

As far as the Apple Stores go, I am sure they will arrive by the 2nd or earlier. I am sure that when Apple chose the April 3rd release date, they gave themselves a little cushion of time. As I said, the goal is not to just get the merchandise there in the nick of time, it's to have it all orderly and set to go with no glitches. I'm sure there will be a few, there always are, but I'm guessing it will go very smoothly, thus the change from End of March to early April.

What I do expect is that Apple is going to have a problem getting them made fast enough. After the release, and all the pre-orders are shipped, I wouldn't be surprised to see a big back log for those who waited. I think once these are out and more people see them, the demand is going to be huge. Just my opinion, could be wrong, often am.