What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Little Wheel in Center Won't Go Away

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I try to shut down normally using the on/off in the corner, a little wheel starts spinning in the middle of the screen and stays there and stays there and stays there. Finally after about 2 hours I did a hard boot and shut it down. But when I go to turn it off again the same thing happens??? Every time I try to turn it off the screen goes black and the little white wheel in the middle spins and just stays there...Any suggestions???
Thank you for any insight.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you do "a hard boot and shut it down," are you holding the sleep and Home buttons until you see the Apple logo appear? As in, do you do the full sequence for a reset (Apple's name for a reboot): Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Sometimes, the iPad does get "hung up" when you do the "slide to power off" action. The reset usually helps. If that's not the case, or this doesn't help, holler back and we'll see what else we can try.

Marilyn

OP
Panama

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first time I did a "reset" like you described, it did not help and when I went to put it to sleep --- the little wheel came up and still stayed there.....BUT the second time I put it through the reset schedule, it seems to have fixed the problem. Now it will go to sleep normally if I hit the sleep button briefly. Before, when the wheel was spinning ....nothing worked....I think you have helped me by having me do it again ...actually I did it a couple of times
.If you have the time --- What's this "hung up" thing you refer to??? Is there some type of software glitch that the techs can't fix? I have not seen it do that before. Is it very common? It was very frustrating.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply....I appreciate your help. I think I am OK now. This forum is great. I looked for info on the wheel turning for time eternal and could not find anything. You helped me out nicely...THANKS. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
.If you have the time --- What's this "hung up" thing you refer to??? Is there some type of software glitch that the techs can't fix? I have not seen it do that before. Is it very common? It was very frustrating.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply....I appreciate your help. I think I am OK now. This forum is great. I looked for info on the wheel turning for time eternal and could not find anything. You helped me out nicely...THANKS. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

I would like to give you a detailed, technical explanation as to what's going on. I would also like to tell you that it's not very common. But I can't. Mainly because, underneath all the shiny gloss and pretty icons, the iPad is merely (!) a computer. And, at times, computers act up and need a swift kick in the software. :D

Here at iPad forums, we have found that the first thing to always try when your iPad is not behaving normally, or as you'd expect, is to do either the restart or the reset process. The reset is as I described above, the restart is the "slide to turn off," wait a bit and then press/hold the sleep button until it turns back on. A lot of times, it takes both these processes to get the iPad back to behaving as it should.

Again, I wish I could provide you better reassurance. However, since the iPad is a computer, it's best to just save the restart and reset instructions for the next time...

And a very Merry Christmas to you, also!
getsmiley.php

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts