What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lightning to 30-pin adaptor.

Charbarot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad 2. I also have a real nice Bose IPod docking system. I have more music on my iPad than I do on my iPod. However, the connection is for the wider Generation 4 iPod. Would I be able to use the lightning to 30-pin adaptor? I bought one for my grandson because he upgraded to the iPod 5th generation and had the same problem. He says my iPad is probably too heavy. Is my 9 y/o grandson right....and therefore smarter than me :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you can use the adapter. But, you grandson it [probably] right - the iPad would be too heavy (it won't sit right on the dock). Maybe if you were to get an adapter with a longer cord? I don't know if they exist, but I know I wouldn't want to run the risk of having the iPad fall. So - maybe if you propped it up somehow so the sides of the iPad are supported while its attached?

Just throwing out ideas here...

Marilyn

OP
C

Charbarot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you...I'll have to see what I can rig up...do you know how sad that is my grandson is smarter than me..SMH....:D

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi - I'd have to agree w/ your grandson & Marilyn - the size & weight of the iPad would make the attachment precarious in my mind - just a simple hit and the device would fall and/or the docking mechanism damaged. A simple fix (unless you can find a more specific cable w/ the appropriate adapters, as suggested already) would be to use a mini-stereo cable - of course, charging would not be supplied. But I'm in a similar situation, i.e. own the Sangean radio below (w/ great sound) w/ an iPod docking station (30 pin) - have virtually all of my MP3 music on an older device (2G) - NOW, I'd like the newer iPod (mainly for the camera) but the 30 pin to lightning adapter would elevate the iPod and not provide good support - SO, just sticking w/ the old iPod @ the moment. Good luck in your choice(s) and let us know what you decided. Dave :)

51P1yRTmcXL.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple sells a .2 metre lightning to 30 pin adaptor, maybe that would work. Here's the listing in the Apple online store.

image-2777395440.jpg

OP
C

Charbarot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you scifan....I'm going to check it out...

OP
C

Charbarot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can I tell if I have 4th generation iPad? I have the iPad 2 4g

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How can I tell if I have 4th generation iPad? I have the 4g

Well, there are a number of ways but just one suggestion - go into Settings -> General -> About; near the bottom is your device's serial number - type that number into this WEBSITE - should provide you the needed information - Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Or look at your charger connection cable. If it looks like this, it's either an iPad 4 or iPad mini:

image-1438289035.jpg
Apple store

OP
C

Charbarot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I have J.A. I'm going to order the connector that's been suggested. Thank you everyone. I'll have to check with my 9 y/o grandson in the future before I buy anything. :D. I'll hold on to the other adaptor....I'm sure my granddaughter will be upgrading her iPod soon.

Most reactions

Latest posts