What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is sound quality better from 3.5 mm jack or 30 pin

guinness12357

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to listen to tunes on my iPad and pandora in my car from my iPad. I can get analogue out from either the headphone jack or the 30 pin connector which then will connect to 2 RCAs and then my cars system.

So far I've tried the 30 pin connector and it makes me think that getting digital out with an extra DAC probably cant sound much better, but am curious if anyone has compared the two. Also, how does the 30 pin connection compare with the headphone jack?

Thanks

Scott

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good question! I used to use the AUX in on my car radio and it sounded OK. Now I have a JVC HD "sound system" in one of my cars and the USB docking cable plugs straight into the head unit and honestly, I don't know that I can hear the difference.

Other than the possible difference (improvement?) in sound quality, one thing this does allow me to do is use the tagging feature of the radio. Another option (that I don't use) is that it also allows me to control the iPad from the radio. It is a pretty cool feature, but it is still much easier for me, ummmmm... I mean it is easier for my passenger to make the selections directly from the iPad. Why have a big screen if you're not going to use it?

OP
G

guinness12357

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dac?

I wish I knew. If you look on ebay, there are many DACs for about $ 50 and some kits - if you can do some soddering that claim to get you to a very high end product for about $100. Then you have the problem of wireing in some sort of voltage converter to power it. I was convinced that was the way to go until i picked up a 30 pin to 2 rca cable and pluged it into my cars JL CL441DSP Cleansweep. The sound was really good and clean. So, while Im still researching the digital out route, it might be a lot of trouble and expense for no real improvement.

Most reactions