What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Landscape

amyberta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I keep having trouble getting my iPad out of landscape mode the orientation lock is
off. The only way to get it back to portrait mode is to restart my iPad. Is there anything I can
do to fix this?
Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello - 'orientation freezing' has been reported w/ certain iPads and may in part be related to the iOS installed, so first question is which iOS is installed on your device; if not the most recent, then an update/upgrade may help - I have an iPad Air 2 on iOS 10.1.1.

Second, if not already done, try a 'Reset' (hold down both the ON-OFF & HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears - may take about 10 secs - then release and let your iPad reboot - no data, settings, or apps will be lost). Dave :)

OP
A

amyberta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello - 'orientation freezing' has been reported w/ certain iPads and may in part be related to the iOS installed, so first question is which iOS is installed on your device; if not the most recent, then an update/upgrade may help - I have an iPad Air 2 on iOS 10.1.1.

Second, if not already done, try a 'Reset' (hold down both the ON-OFF & HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears - may take about 10 secs - then release and let your iPad reboot - no data, settings, or apps will be lost). Dave :)
Thanks for answering, my iPad is uptodate.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

OK - try the 'Reset' if not already done and let us know - good luck. :) Dave
My iPad Air 2 had the same problem and restarting it solved the problem. It's currently on iOS 10.2 beta 2 which could make a difference.

Yeantbron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I join the discussion, for mine, a restart solved it, until it lock again few days later :/ (latest ios)

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My iPad 2 Air does this quite a lot now (on latest update 10.1.1). I'm using a magnetic cover, and I find that if I put the iPad on the home screen and close the magnetic cover, wait just a few seconds, then open the cover again, it then works fine.

Steve

SwanseaMick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like the others, my iPad Air 2 (IOS10.2) has also suffered from sticking rotation. It has happened twice in the last fortnight, usually after a longish period of inactivity. A power-off and restart has cured it so far. Is anyone aware if Apple are looking into a cure?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Like the others, my iPad Air 2 (IOS10.2) has also suffered from sticking rotation. It has happened twice in the last fortnight, usually after a longish period of inactivity. A power-off and restart has cured it so far. Is anyone aware if Apple are looking into a cure?

The rotational sticking seems to be a common complaint - HERE is a discussion from about 6 months ago - for myself, my iPad Air 2 continues to get stuck in 'landscape mode' several times a week - I just use the ON-OFF switch for correction which has always worked. Interestingly, if I switch to an app w/ only portrait view the orientation is correct but reverts to the 'stuck' landscape view when stopping the app. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts