What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kindle not working on Ipad2

Sweeney1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A little while ago I got an update for the Kindle reader and also for the Google reader on my Ipad2. Apparently these updated removed my ability to buy ebooks for these readers. I contacted Kindle and was told that I could purchase ebooks through the Amazon websight but when I tried I got the message ''Ipad no longer supports this function''. What's going on here? Can I restore the use of my non-Ipad readers? How?

Thank you

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where did that message appear? Was it when you tried to purchase a Kindle book or when, after you had purchased it, you tried to download it to your iPad?

Was the message from within the Kindle app or from Safari?

Tim

OP
S

Sweeney1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was when I tried to make a purchase and I believe that it came from the Ipad not kindle. Actually, I'm not sure. It did the same thing this week when I tried to buy an ebook through the Kindle Cloud Reader.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you were actually charged but simply couldn't download the book?

It works fine on my iPad. Might be worth rebooting the iPad as an easy first step.

Tim

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like Tim, I've not had problems with my Kindle app. I just bought three books via the Kindle website, which I now have bookmarked onto a home screen.

If you want to read while you're trying to get your app to work, you might also try the Kindle Cloud Reader, which is another way to read Kindle books on iPad, without needing an iPad app.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you tried to download the book in Safari while on the site. Don't bother. Instead open the Kindle app, go to the archive page, find the newly purchased book and tap it to download diectly in the app.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you tried to download the book in Safari while on the site. Don't bother. Instead open the Kindle app, go to the archive page, find the newly purchased book and tap it to download diectly in the app.

Agree w/ TP - the Kindle app (along w/ other similar e-book purchasing apps) no longer has a choice to purchase a book from the app itself - an Apple decision, I believe - :(

So, regardless of where you want to purchase the book, you will need to go the the website, such as Amazon, and buy the book there and then get it onto your iPad.

I just bought a Kindle book today - went to Amazon and found and then ordered the book - there was an option for me to download to my Kindle app on the iPad (from previous setup) - after the purchase, I simply opened the Kindle app on the iPad and the book was immediately downloaded.

Give it a try - if not a go, then post back here - good luck! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Agree w/ TP - the Kindle app (along w/ other similar e-book purchasing apps) no longer has a choice to purchase a book from the app itself - an Apple decision, I believe - :(

It never did have real in-app purchases, you know. All it did was give you a link that took you to the Amazon Kindle Store in a browser. Now you have to get there on your own.

To make things almost as convenient, visit Amazon in Safari and navigate to the Kindle Store. Tap on the icon to the left of the URL field and choose Add To Home Screen. You can put the resulting icon right next to the Kindle app.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kindle's Cloud Reader has a built-in link to the Kindle store. (Depends whether you like using the Cloud Reader, though.) You can also save the Cloud Reader link to a home screen.

OP
S

Sweeney1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yesterday, on my way home on the train I did download a free ebook form Kindle just to try it again and it did work. Right now I'm reading an ebook form the library so once I finish that one I'll try to purchase another ebook and see how it goes.

I like the Overdrive reader the best out of the four that I have, Apple, Kindle, Google, Overdrive, on the Ipad, so I just might stick with my library. It's free!

Most reactions

Latest posts