Just got my iPad2 and the photo quality is poor, suggestions fro better photo quality

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by hbroder, Nov 3, 2011.

1. hbroder

hbroder iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are there any apps or tricks to improve the photos I am taking so they are not so pixalated?

2. giradman

giradman iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,069 / 0
    Welcome to the forum! - :)

Simple answer is no! The iPad cameras are both of extremely low resolution; the front camera is only about .3 megapixel and is useful only for video conferencing, e.g. FaceTime and Skype; the rear camera is approximately .7 megapixel, so not much better! Why Apple decided to put such a poor rear camera in particular on the iPad is not known except by them, I suppose? :mad:

Now if you care to do some searching there are additional threads on this issue w/ suggestions of 'improving' the images somewhat, e.g. using more light (as in outdoors), steadying the iPad, etc. - but the bottom line is that if you want high resolution still images on the iPad, you'll have to obtain them in another way (suggestions: 1) use a good digitial camera w/ the 'Camera Connection Kit'; 2) email them or transfer them via the cloud, e.g. Dropbox; and 3) sync them from your computer w/ iTunes - just a few options). Good luck and please post back if you find a better way! :)

3. A.K

A.K iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    No way IMO .u can only get so much from a .7 mp camera.i don't use my I pad for taking photos to that's not a problem for me so far

4. JoshuaD80

JoshuaD80 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve Jobs felt strongly about the uses for his products. From what I understand, he felt that a tablet wasn't the right medium for photography, it's too big and awkward to use as a camera. So placing cameras on it at all was something of a concession. Although, while the photos are pretty bad, I've been really impressed with the video capture quality.

5. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,007 / 1

And to be fair, almost everything Apple says about this camera is about video. Other than Photo Booth (fun, but a gimmick), nothing in their advertising promises good (or even so-so) photography on an iPad.

6. Hiarcs

Hiarcs iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are some apps to improve resolution, via intelligent algorithms, try the app store and browse some camera apps.