What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got my iPad2 and the photo quality is poor, suggestions fro better photo quality

hbroder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are there any apps or tricks to improve the photos I am taking so they are not so pixalated?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! - :)

Simple answer is no! The iPad cameras are both of extremely low resolution; the front camera is only about .3 megapixel and is useful only for video conferencing, e.g. FaceTime and Skype; the rear camera is approximately .7 megapixel, so not much better! Why Apple decided to put such a poor rear camera in particular on the iPad is not known except by them, I suppose? :mad:

Now if you care to do some searching there are additional threads on this issue w/ suggestions of 'improving' the images somewhat, e.g. using more light (as in outdoors), steadying the iPad, etc. - but the bottom line is that if you want high resolution still images on the iPad, you'll have to obtain them in another way (suggestions: 1) use a good digitial camera w/ the 'Camera Connection Kit'; 2) email them or transfer them via the cloud, e.g. Dropbox; and 3) sync them from your computer w/ iTunes - just a few options). Good luck and please post back if you find a better way! :)

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No way IMO .u can only get so much from a .7 mp camera.i don't use my I pad for taking photos to that's not a problem for me so far

JoshuaD80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Welcome to the forum! - :)

Simple answer is no! The iPad cameras are both of extremely low resolution; the front camera is only about .3 megapixel and is useful only for video conferencing, e.g. FaceTime and Skype; the rear camera is approximately .7 megapixel, so not much better! Why Apple decided to put such a poor rear camera in particular on the iPad is not known except by them, I suppose? :mad:

Now if you care to do some searching there are additional threads on this issue w/ suggestions of 'improving' the images somewhat, e.g. using more light (as in outdoors), steadying the iPad, etc. - but the bottom line is that if you want high resolution still images on the iPad, you'll have to obtain them in another way (suggestions: 1) use a good digitial camera w/ the 'Camera Connection Kit'; 2) email them or transfer them via the cloud, e.g. Dropbox; and 3) sync them from your computer w/ iTunes - just a few options). Good luck and please post back if you find a better way! :)

Steve Jobs felt strongly about the uses for his products. From what I understand, he felt that a tablet wasn't the right medium for photography, it's too big and awkward to use as a camera. So placing cameras on it at all was something of a concession. Although, while the photos are pretty bad, I've been really impressed with the video capture quality.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Steve Jobs felt strongly about the uses for his products. From what I understand, he felt that a tablet wasn't the right medium for photography, it's too big and awkward to use as a camera. So placing cameras on it at all was something of a concession. Although, while the photos are pretty bad, I've been really impressed with the video capture quality.

And to be fair, almost everything Apple says about this camera is about video. Other than Photo Booth (fun, but a gimmick), nothing in their advertising promises good (or even so-so) photography on an iPad.

Hiarcs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are some apps to improve resolution, via intelligent algorithms, try the app store and browse some camera apps.

Most reactions

Latest posts