What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor video quality on iPad2

Darth Wader

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just returned my iPad2 to the Apple store! The reason? Poor video quality as compared to to my original iPad! Videos that I transferred from iTunes, including movies purchased from the iTunes store, look very grainy and patchy, when played on the new iPad. I also found the cameras to be substandard compared to my iPhone 3G which was the only reason I bought the new one! I'm an ISF Certified tech, so I think I'm in a position to speak about this! My guess is that Apple cheaped out on the video processor! Oops!

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Video plays fine on mine, as far as the cameras go i doubt I will ever use them. The camera on my iPhone is more convenient for taking pics than holding the large iPad plus I have a DSLR and several lenses for when I want to take quality pics. Oh and you use ! way too much :)

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work in video production and used my original iPad to show fine cuts to clients. I do the same with my iPad 2 and the videos still look great. I don't know what the issue was with yours.

OP
D

Darth Wader

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not surprised most people won't see the problem, even though it's not subtle. I watched "The Social Network" (purchased in HD from the iTunes store) and the problem is quite noticeable. The scene, at the start of the movie, when Mark Zuckerburg is in a bar with his girlfriend, shows the problem quite clearly! The original iPad is significantly better! As for the camera, I'm not trying to compare it with my D3X, but it isn't even as good as an iPhone 3G! Anyway, you guys continue on, mine went back to the Apple Store and I don't miss it at all. ( ! )

wclyffe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mmmh, I'm not sure what you're seeing that's not specifically connected to the actual film you're watching. I own an iPad 1 & 2 and I cannot see any difference in playback of numerous videos. I'm in the film business and can tell you it's more likely issues that exist in the DI (Digital Interpositive) than anything to do with the iPads. Even though you wouldn't expect it in a blockbuster film like Social Network it happens all the time.

OP
D

Darth Wader

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, someone had to notice it first. I'm surprised though, as the problem isn't subtle at all. If any of you remember the first films released on DVD you'll recall the "paint by numbers" look that many of the scenes had. This is what I'm seeing. Like I said in my first post, I'm an ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) Certified Tech. I look at video images all day, calibrating display devices to look their best. This is a lot more relevant than film, as there a lot of steps between the original film and being able to watch the same movie on an iPad! I only bring this information forward to anyone who uses their iPad to enjoy movies. I'm sure Apple will sort it out in the next one!

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no doubt you saw something, but it was clearly bad source material or a defective iPad. I've looked at video I've transferred myself from 1080i HDCam broadcast masters, and the final videos look exactly the same on both generations of the iPad.

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've converted BluRay discs for play in the iPad, and the video has been impeccable.. I don't doubt that you saw something that disturbed you about the iPad 2's video quality, but mine has been pristine thus far..

If I weren't too pleased with the quality, I would take it back also.. I hope you can find something suitable to your needs..

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"I'm an ISF Certified tech, so I think I'm in a position to speak about this! My guess is that Apple cheaped out on the video processor! Oops! "
That is 9 times more powerful than the Ipad one? Yeah sure you are a Certified tech dude.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"I'm an ISF Certified tech, so I think I'm in a position to speak about this! My guess is that Apple cheaped out on the video processor! Oops! "
That is 9 times more powerful than the Ipad one? Yeah sure you are a Certified tech dude.

There's no certification that makes you immune to badly compressed source material or broken consumer electronic gear. Did you try playing your movies on another iPad 2?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the iPad 2 video processing. I've been producing network television and film documentaries for 30 years, and have personally supervised color grading and timing on hundreds of high-end productions and film transfers using the best, calibrated CRT reference monitors and scopes. You had a bad iPad or bad video dude.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My videos are compressed for my iPod touch 2g and they aren't that bad.
He may have received a faulty unit? No reason to come here and start talking sh!t.

64GB 3G White iPad

pdxgeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have encoded several 1080p bluray movies into 720p MP4s. There is nothing wrong with video quality. Its sharp, and looks pretty much just as good as my 1080p tv.

Most reactions

Latest posts