1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Jogger Mugged for His iPad in Central Park, New York

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0
    [​IMG]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Gizmodo has a cautionary tale today, about a jogger who was mugged in New York’s Central Park this week for his iPad. According to the local news story, the 46-year-old man was approached by the two suspects early last Wednesday morning at approximately 6: 15, at 110th Street and 5th Avenue, inside Central Park. After punching him and knocking him to the ground, the two men made off with the victim’s iPad, which had fallen on the ground during the attack. The two suspects were still at large at the time of writing. Not a very nice news story at all, and we hope the gentleman in question is doing okay now, but it makes me wonder, do stories like this make people think twice about taking their iPads out and about with them? At least with your iPhone you can keep it hidden in your pocket or bag, but is an iPad really safe on the streets? I see lots of people reading their Kindles on the London Underground these days, but have yet to see anyone brandishing an iPad, which is, after all, a lot more expensive so possibly considered more of a risk? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Source: Bizarre iPad-Carrying Jogger Mugged in Central Park, Jogger robbed by two men in Central Park early Wednesday | 7online.com[/FONT]
  2. BigTex71

BigTex71 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I feel bad for the victim, but who jogs with an iPad?!
  3. IanM

IanM iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How the hell do you jog with an iPad anyway? He's obviously not that serious about jogging, just very serious about image.

Although he shouldn't be robbed - the guy is obviously a tool.

I know it's sad but walking (or jogging!) around with an iPad* is tantamount to waving a flag that shouts 'Rob me!!!'

Don't really have a lot of sympathy for him - sorry

Ian (whose iPad is locked in a safe when he's not at home)

*Other tablet computers are available

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  4. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    That reply is as sad as the fact the guy was robbed. It's like saying a girl deserved to be raped because she wore provocative clothing...

I would have no problem jogging with my iPad if it was my only source of tunes. I hate jogging without music and I would prefer to use my iPod or iPhone, but in a pinch I could see carrying my iPad.

You are at risk of being robbed in many places unfortunately. Be prepared to defend yourself or simply give up. Those are your only real options.

-t
  5. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    No one deserves to be victimized, but it's common sense to beware of time and place when carrying any valuable. Even more important than stuff: your own safety.
  6. kenjigraphics

kenjigraphics iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    At least you can be assured that despite the risks that your iPod could be stolen while you're jogging, you know that you only lost a couple bucks compared to the half a grand or so iPad.
  7. IanM

IanM iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you'd read my post you'll have seen that I said he shouldn't have been robbed. There's no excuse for robbing him. Ever. My point was that he was obviously out posing. You can't run seriously with an iPad. Or an iPhone/iPod if all you do is piss about changing tracks and faff with your earphones, and I've seen loads of people like that.

No he shouldn't have been robbed but come on. Running around with an iPad in the street? What do you expect?

Christ on a cracker, I'd be too scared of dropping the bloody thing.

8. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Ian add to that non ipad music players are available all day long for as little as $10. Sometimes there are unintended consequences for our actions and some are easier to see ahead of time, such as carrying a very large music player is an invitation to bad things possibly happening no matter who one thinks they are.

Support Our Troops!!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from this Galaxy
  9. IanM

IanM iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Exactly! - I didn't mention others as this is an iPad list. No, he should not have been robbed, nor should he have even considered 'jogging' with an iPad. Just posey and daft.

10. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    I guess I'm simply fortunate to live where simply carrying an iPad in a public park is not an invitation to being mugged or robbed, and I see no problem with someone jogging with their iPad if they wish.

-t
  11. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    Very simple.:D

[​IMG]
  12. gaurav

gaurav iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Guys...pray tat he can track it with the tracker in the iPad....
  13. KJSmitty

KJSmitty iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    That's the exact mental visual I had when I was reading the first few posts... :)

I despise individuals that feel harming someone let alone stealing from them is remotely the way to acquire something. As my dad instilled in me as I do my kids: don't do anything to someone else that you wouldn't want done to you.... Simple as that.

I can't however say I have ever thought of jogging with my iPad.. I say we give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was jogging from one place to another while carrying his iPad......
  14. singlestick

singlestick iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I was riding the train to work when a man snatched an iPhone out of a woman's hands and tried to run off. Fortunately, he was caught by a transit cop. But should I conclude from this incident that no one should carry a smart phone in public? Or how about a laptop? Or how about purses, satchels and backpacks? Do you really want to suggest that people should only go out in public with small items that they are willing to give up in a robbery?
  15. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You show your swag in todays society sometimes you just ask for trouble.

Support Our Troops!!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from this Galaxy
  16. jncbankston

jncbankston iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Wow, that's unfortunate. Hopefully, he has MobileMe active on his iPad.

Sent from my White Verizon 32GB iPad2 using iPF
  17. MoneyGuy

MoneyGuy iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
  18. jncbankston

jncbankston iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    MoneyGuy...thx for sharing. Tapmyapple is a hero for sure!

Sent from my White Verizon 32GB iPad2 using iPF
  19. cesctheman

cesctheman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Very sad that people can't go about there daily lives using the technology that people would dream about years ago. But that is what tech is about. Tablets,iPhones and the other stuff that people use is part of society nowadays. So I just use my iPhone & iPad going through London, not worrying what happens and if something happens I'll deal with it. I must say I'm not a regular traveller though. I have had my iPad 2 3 weeks and only taken it out once. Also as for the first poster Maura saying she see lots of kindles and no IPads, I went to the eye hospital and saw about 4 people using IPads that day. My iPhone 4 comes with me everywhere though.
  20. jonkay182

jonkay182 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    New Yorks' Central Park has a long standing reputation as a muggers paradise, not to mention rapists, purse snatchers, murderers, etc. Only a moron or someone with a death wish would venture into Central Park in the evening hours carrying an IPad. If he is a native New Yorker, he should have known better. If he was just visiting, somebody should have clued him in.