What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jogger Mugged for His iPad in Central Park, New York

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
jogger_mugged.JPG
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gizmodo has a cautionary tale today, about a jogger who was mugged in New York’s Central Park this week for his iPad. According to the local news story, the 46-year-old man was approached by the two suspects early last Wednesday morning at approximately 6: 15, at 110th Street and 5th Avenue, inside Central Park. After punching him and knocking him to the ground, the two men made off with the victim’s iPad, which had fallen on the ground during the attack. The two suspects were still at large at the time of writing. Not a very nice news story at all, and we hope the gentleman in question is doing okay now, but it makes me wonder, do stories like this make people think twice about taking their iPads out and about with them? At least with your iPhone you can keep it hidden in your pocket or bag, but is an iPad really safe on the streets? I see lots of people reading their Kindles on the London Underground these days, but have yet to see anyone brandishing an iPad, which is, after all, a lot more expensive so possibly considered more of a risk? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Source: Bizarre iPad-Carrying Jogger Mugged in Central Park, Jogger robbed by two men in Central Park early Wednesday | 7online.com[/FONT]

IanM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maura said:
Gizmodo has a cautionary tale today, about a jogger who was mugged in New YorkÂ’s Central Park this week for his iPad. According to the local news story, the 46-year-old man was approached by the two suspects early last Wednesday morning at approximately 6: 15, at 110th Street and 5th Avenue, inside Central Park. After punching him and knocking him to the ground, the two men made off with the victimÂ’s iPad, which had fallen on the ground during the attack. The two suspects were still at large at the time of writing. Not a very nice news story at all, and we hope the gentleman in question is doing okay now, but it makes me wonder, do stories like this make people think twice about taking their iPads out and about with them? At least with your iPhone you can keep it hidden in your pocket or bag, but is an iPad really safe on the streets? I see lots of people reading their Kindles on the London Underground these days, but have yet to see anyone brandishing an iPad, which is, after all, a lot more expensive so possibly considered more of a risk?

Source: Bizarre iPad-Carrying Jogger Mugged in Central Park, Jogger robbed by two men in Central Park early Wednesday | 7online.com

How the hell do you jog with an iPad anyway? He's obviously not that serious about jogging, just very serious about image.

Although he shouldn't be robbed - the guy is obviously a tool.

I know it's sad but walking (or jogging!) around with an iPad* is tantamount to waving a flag that shouts 'Rob me!!!'

Don't really have a lot of sympathy for him - sorry

Ian (whose iPad is locked in a safe when he's not at home)

*Other tablet computers are available

Sent from my iPad using iPF

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That reply is as sad as the fact the guy was robbed. It's like saying a girl deserved to be raped because she wore provocative clothing...

I would have no problem jogging with my iPad if it was my only source of tunes. I hate jogging without music and I would prefer to use my iPod or iPhone, but in a pinch I could see carrying my iPad.

You are at risk of being robbed in many places unfortunately. Be prepared to defend yourself or simply give up. Those are your only real options.

-t

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one deserves to be victimized, but it's common sense to beware of time and place when carrying any valuable. Even more important than stuff: your own safety.

kenjigraphics

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.scholargnome.com
That reply is as sad as the fact the guy was robbed. It's like saying a girl deserved to be raped because she wore provocative clothing...

I would have no problem jogging with my iPad if it was my only source of tunes. I hate jogging without music and I would prefer to use my iPod or iPhone, but in a pinch I could see carrying my iPad.

You are at risk of being robbed in many places unfortunately. Be prepared to defend yourself or simply give up. Those are your only real options.

-t

At least you can be assured that despite the risks that your iPod could be stolen while you're jogging, you know that you only lost a couple bucks compared to the half a grand or so iPad.

IanM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:

-t

If you'd read my post you'll have seen that I said he shouldn't have been robbed. There's no excuse for robbing him. Ever. My point was that he was obviously out posing. You can't run seriously with an iPad. Or an iPhone/iPod if all you do is piss about changing tracks and faff with your earphones, and I've seen loads of people like that.

No he shouldn't have been robbed but come on. Running around with an iPad in the street? What do you expect?

Christ on a cracker, I'd be too scared of dropping the bloody thing.

Reaction score
Ian add to that non ipad music players are available all day long for as little as $10. Sometimes there are unintended consequences for our actions and some are easier to see ahead of time, such as carrying a very large music player is an invitation to bad things possibly happening no matter who one thinks they are.

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

IanM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Ian add to that non ipad music players are available all day long for as little as $10. Sometimes there are unintended consequences for our actions and some are easier to see ahead of time, such as carrying a very large music player is an invitation to bad things possibly happening no matter who one thinks they are.

Support Our Troops!!!
Sent from this Galaxy

Exactly! - I didn't mention others as this is an iPad list. No, he should not have been robbed, nor should he have even considered 'jogging' with an iPad. Just posey and daft.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess I'm simply fortunate to live where simply carrying an iPad in a public park is not an invitation to being mugged or robbed, and I see no problem with someone jogging with their iPad if they wish.

-t

gaurav

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys...pray tat he can track it with the tracker in the iPad....

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Very simple.:D

That's the exact mental visual I had when I was reading the first few posts... :)

I despise individuals that feel harming someone let alone stealing from them is remotely the way to acquire something. As my dad instilled in me as I do my kids: don't do anything to someone else that you wouldn't want done to you.... Simple as that.

I can't however say I have ever thought of jogging with my iPad.. I say we give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was jogging from one place to another while carrying his iPad......

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Support Our Troops!!!
Sent from this Galaxy

I was riding the train to work when a man snatched an iPhone out of a woman's hands and tried to run off. Fortunately, he was caught by a transit cop. But should I conclude from this incident that no one should carry a smart phone in public? Or how about a laptop? Or how about purses, satchels and backpacks? Do you really want to suggest that people should only go out in public with small items that they are willing to give up in a robbery?

Most reactions

Latest posts