What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jogger Mugged for His iPad in Central Park, New York

cesctheman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very sad that people can't go about there daily lives using the technology that people would dream about years ago. But that is what tech is about. Tablets,iPhones and the other stuff that people use is part of society nowadays. So I just use my iPhone & iPad going through London, not worrying what happens and if something happens I'll deal with it. I must say I'm not a regular traveller though. I have had my iPad 2 3 weeks and only taken it out once. Also as for the first poster Maura saying she see lots of kindles and no IPads, I went to the eye hospital and saw about 4 people using IPads that day. My iPhone 4 comes with me everywhere though.

jonkay182

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New Yorks' Central Park has a long standing reputation as a muggers paradise, not to mention rapists, purse snatchers, murderers, etc. Only a moron or someone with a death wish would venture into Central Park in the evening hours carrying an IPad. If he is a native New Yorker, he should have known better. If he was just visiting, somebody should have clued him in.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New Yorks' Central Park has a long standing reputation as a muggers paradise, not to mention rapists, purse snatchers, murderers, etc. Only a moron or someone with a death wish would venture into Central Park in the evening hours carrying an IPad. If he is a native New Yorker, he should have known better. If he was just visiting, somebody should have clued him in.

Central Park is very large. Lots of people safely jog there in the daytime.

jonkay182

iPF Noob
Reaction score
singlestick said:
Central Park is very large. Lots of people safely jog there in the daytime.

I lived in NYC for a few years, spent a lot of time in Central Park--in the daytime, feeling safe surrounded by lots of people. After dark, the park takes on a whole different vibe. You can see the predators hanging out at the 59th Street entrance looking for the unwary.

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We were in Central Park last year during a visit to NY and fouund it very safe during the day, but I wouldn't want to venture in at night. It's a beautiful park but we have heard horror stories.

On a side note, (shameless plug here) where I live (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) has the longest stretch of urban parkland in the world. Our river valley parkland is well over twice the size of NY Central Park. Wonderful place! I'd still be reluctant to job at night there with my iPad. :D

MMIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
That reply is as sad as the fact the guy was robbed. It's like saying a girl deserved to be raped because she wore provocative clothing...

I would have no problem jogging with my iPad if it was my only source of tunes. I hate jogging without music and I would prefer to use my iPod or iPhone, but in a pinch I could see carrying my iPad.

You are at risk of being robbed in many places unfortunately. Be prepared to defend yourself or simply give up. Those are your only real options.

-t

I agree...sad response.

Most reactions

Latest posts