What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Java on my iPad 3

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Please allow me to do my lame joke first....

"Spill coffee on it!"

Now with that out of the way, Mickey330 is spot on. It can not be done natively. And based on Apple's current rhetoric, it never will be done. But I have a suggestion that does work, BUT is expensive to implement unless you already have the majority of the gear in your house.

1) PC. If it is a Mac even better.
2) Router that handles Wireless-N protocol.
3) VNC server on the PC. Or if it is a Mac Parallels is even better.
4) And the restriction that this will only work well within the range of the wireless router. Unless you have very good LTE service when not near the router. But the bandwidth would eat a data plan very quickly.

You can use your iPad to view and control your PC. This in turn allows you to run flash and Java on the PC and view the result on your iPad. BUT there are several caveats.

1) Sound. It works with Parallels. But some VNC servers and viewers don't support it. So you have to deal with that issue.
2) Real time interaction is limited by several factors. Screen size that you are viewing on the iPad and data rate of the wireless connection.

Highly recommend you set the screen resolution on the PC or Mac to fit natively on the iPad without having to zoom. You might want to go even lower in resolution because that will speed things up for you. Don't expect miracles with your first attempt. You will have to test and retest before you are even remotely satisfied.

And the last bit of bad news. What I have suggested here is all the advice I have time to offer. I spent two hours getting this to work flawless at my house and I do this for a living. If you don't know a lot about computers, then I wouldn't attempt this unless you just like to experiment and learn.

Most reactions