What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbroken iPad Won't Sync With iTunes or Charge

hotphoenix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal: I have a jailbroken with limera1n 16GB WiFi iPad. I decided that I didn't want the jailbreak anymore, and for some reason thought that deleting limera1n, which was an option in the app icon, was a good idea. Now, however, my iPad is no longer syncing with iTunes OR charging via the wall charger, and I can't get my computer to recognize it when it's connected. I also haven't found anyone else with this problem through google searches, and I'm running out of ideas.

I'm backing up my entire iTunes library as we speak to do a full uninstall and reinstall.

Can anyone please help me? I'm running an April 2010 Macbook Pro 15" model, and I'm desperate to get my iPad restored asap. I have roughly 59% of the battery remaining.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal: I have a jailbroken with limera1n 16GB WiFi iPad. I decided that I didn't want the jailbreak anymore, and for some reason thought that deleting limera1n, which was an option in the app icon, was a good idea. Now, however, my iPad is no longer syncing with iTunes OR charging via the wall charger, and I can't get my computer to recognize it when it's connected. I also haven't found anyone else with this problem through google searches, and I'm running out of ideas.

I'm backing up my entire iTunes library as we speak to do a full uninstall and reinstall.

Can anyone please help me? I'm running an April 2010 Macbook Pro 15" model, and I'm desperate to get my iPad restored asap. I have roughly 59% of the battery remaining.

As was stated in the limera1n app...deleting it does NOT delete the jailbreak. You have to restore your iPad or update to a higher version to remove it. I restored in order to install 4.2.1 and it works just fine.

OP
H

hotphoenix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand that. But I'm unable to restore it because my computer won't recognize that the iPad is connected at all. It recognizes my iPhone just fine, and I've tried multiple UBS cables and multiple restarts, but it's not detecting my iPad.

OP
H

hotphoenix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time to put it in dfu mode and restore.

Followed the directions, the screen is black as it should be, but iTunes is not responding.

blackweather - run it to quickly and easily get it into DFU.

Blackweather isn't working either. I'll reinstall iTunes once I've finished backing up and post an update, see if that works.

OP
H

hotphoenix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes reinstall didn't work.

Would enabling the 'Erase All Content and Settings' function from the General menu work to reformat my iPad? My computer isn't recognizing it, so it seems like something has to be done more on the iPad end of things.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes reinstall didn't work.

Would enabling the 'Erase All Content and Settings' function from the General menu work to reformat my iPad? My computer isn't recognizing it, so it seems like something has to be done more on the iPad end of things.

So you can use your iPad? Yeah try factory reset. If that doesn't work then just bring it to an Apple store...they will swap it out. You said you deleted cydia and limera1n right?

OP
H

hotphoenix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you can use your iPad? Yeah try factory reset. If that doesn't work then just bring it to an Apple store...they will swap it out. You said you deleted cydia and limera1n right?

Yeah, I can still use the iPad, I just can't get my computer to recognize it to sync or restore anymore (oddly enough, I found a thread on a similar issue here on MacRumors--I'm also in France for the year, and I know it's not a wire or hardware problem, and it just happened today).

I deleted limera1n, but I haven't tried to delete Cydia yet, since it's not as easy. If this factory restore doesn't work, I don't particularly want that to be on there when I take it to the Apple Store in Paris, so from what I understand, it might be best to use something called Cydelete to remove it like a regular app?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yeah, I can still use the iPad, I just can't get my computer to recognize it to sync or restore anymore (oddly enough, I found a thread on a similar issue here on MacRumors--I'm also in France for the year, and I know it's not a wire or hardware problem, and it just happened today).

I deleted limera1n, but I haven't tried to delete Cydia yet, since it's not as easy. If this factory restore doesn't work, I don't particularly want that to be on there when I take it to the Apple Store in Paris, so from what I understand, it might be best to use something called Cydelete to remove it like a regular app?

Internal factory restore should bring it back to how it was when you bought it.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried that. Looks like my iPad is bricked.

You would be the first...I'm sure there is a fix. The only thing I can think would be a hardware failure...did a pin get bent on the cable or connector? Have you tried using a different cable? If your iPad turns on and works it isn't bricked.

OP
H

hotphoenix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You would be the first...I'm sure there is a fix. The only thing I can think would be a hardware failure...did a pin get bent on the cable or connector? Have you tried using a different cable? If your iPad turns on and works it isn't bricked.

I tried to do the internal factory restore, but now my iPad is stuck on the Apple logo with the little wheel. It turns itself off and reboots periodically, but it's just stuck in the same loop. I can turn it off, but I can no longer get it to do anything other than stay on the Apple logo.

Make sure you dont have a mapped drive with a drive letter conflict.

I don't--that was one of the first things I checked. My Windows partition also didn't recognize the iPad, and I know it's not a cable--I've tried three different USB cables, one of them brand new. Like, I removed the plastic to try it. So now I can't use the iPad, and I live out in the countryside and can't get to the nearest Apple Store until mid-December.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts