What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbroken ipad 2 Overheating issues

kevincousland

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After a day of jailbreaking my ipad. I notice it gets hot, even if I'm not using it and the battery drains fast.

This never happened before (pre-JB). Even if I use it for a long time, it used to be cool.

Should I revert it back to pre-JB state?

I need your opinions. Thanks.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is nothing on the jailbreak that will cause your device to overheat, but it is much more likely an incompatible app, probably designed for iPhone. Can you tell us what you installed from Cydia?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not think that JB has anything to do with your iPad over heating.

Mine can over heat if I close the case completely up while charging, and that was only once almost a year ago.

And ~

If the iPad has to 3G or struggles to use it and can't, or it could be the wifi, once it got warm ~ I think someone said from that.

But JB ~ No, I don't think so.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm curious why you think an app designed for the iPhone would heat up the iPad?

-t

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious why you think an app designed for the iPhone would heat up the iPad?

-t

I was wondering that myself, actually, Leigh. The app would be smaller, right. I know that one app Marilyn and I got from Cydia was for the iPhone, Byafont, some thing like that...

But you think some apps can do this?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
thewitt said:

-t

Ive seen incompatible apps will cause a race situation, basically keeping the CPU utilised all the time. Most times this will be because an app was for 2.x or 3.x firmware and in most situations this will be an iPhone app, just because of the age... There was no ipad back then. I'm not saying all iPhone apps cause problems... But it often helps folks identify what it might have been, rather than asking did you install something old?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
kevincousland said:
SBSettings. I didn't install much yet, coz I'm busy with my post-grad course.

Assuming you are on 4.3.3, jailbreaking and just having sbsettings should not cause any issues.
Did you upgrade to 4.3.3 or restore a fresh copy? Again, I've seen race conditions exist after an update...
Anyway, bottom line is you have an issue. Best way to resolve is restore to 4.3.3. Drastic, but necessary as this is a serious problem.
But JB and sbsettings should not cause heat or excessive drain. No proper JB setup does that, I can assure you. So feel free to give it another go after you restore!
Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts