What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes Library file

tensorlegends

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently run iTunes on 2 laptops (windows) and they both link to the same iTunes library file which is networked on an external HDD meaning whenever they open iTunes the library is always up to date and identical.

I want to open the same version of iTunes with an iPad and wondered if this was possible?? Anyone know??

I haven't bought the iPad at present but don't think I will purchase one if this cannot be done.

Thanks

OP
T

tensorlegends

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so it's like the iPhone and has a 'Music' App. And can it stream from a networked HDD?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't have two laptops but my iTunes library has an external hard drive and they definitely sync to my phone, iPad and iPod touch's. So I can assume they should work for you too!

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, you can use the same Apple ID / iTunes account with your iPad, and should. But you should only sync with one of the computers. Things get messy if you try to switch back and forth.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so it's like the iPhone and has a 'Music' App. And can it stream from a networked HDD?
It sounds like the new iTunes Match service was custom made for you.

More here about how to set up iTunes Match:

Apple - iTunes - Explore the new iTunes.

iTunes Store: How to subscribe to iTunes Match

iTunes: How to add a computer or iOS device to iTunes Match

iTunes Match: Understanding the iCloud Status icons

iTunes Store: Troubleshooting iTunes Match

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Sorry...I see that you're in the UK. iTunes match is supposed to be available there in January or so. In the meantime you can sync your entire iTunes library (if it will fit) with your iPad...or you can create playlists or Smart Playlists and just sync as much music as you want.

To answer your earlier question, if you turn on Home Sharing in iTunes, yes, you can play your iTunes library using the iPad's Music App. These articles should help...

iOS: Syncing with iTunes

Apple - iTunes - Tutorials - Learn about all things iTunes.

iTunes: How to create a Smart Playlist

Managing content manually on iPhone, iPad, and iPod

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts