What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the problem with the apps or my ipad?

hayroset

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, several times now I have been navigating through an app such as dropbox or Evernote when, for no apparent reason, the app closes and takes me back to my home screen. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a problem in the individual apps or with my ipad 2?

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hayroset said:
So, several times now I have been navigating through an app such as dropbox or Evernote when, for no apparent reason, the app closes and takes me back to my home screen. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a problem in the individual apps or with my ipad 2?

That does happen from time to time maybe one off. But if it continues to happen I delete it and reinstall it. I have had to do that with Facebook app and a game or two.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its also worth holding the home and on/off buttons until you see the apple logo. Then allow the iPad to restart. This often cures such problems.

The Archangel

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabreil you have had a makeover must say you look 10 years younger ! Lol

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Gabriel suggests, restarting the iPad can often fix these problems. Most apps that 'quit' and return to the Home screen do so because they've 'run out' of RAM (random access memory). The iPad1 has 256 MB and the iPad2 has 512 MB RAM. As apps are moved in and out of RAM, the memory becomes fragmented and there is less-and-less free RAM available. Restarting the iPad initiates a process known as 'garbage collection' (it's a computer term), where all the fragmented RAM is consolidated and made available to apps.

There is an app that many Members use that performs this garbage collection without a restart. It's called XSysInfo and, if you frequently encouter this problem, it might be worth considering using this to 'clean up' the RAM occasionally.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts