What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why can't connect to the app store!!!???

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try a hard reset:

Hold the power button and the home button down at the same time until you see the apple logo. A good ten seconds it could take ~

Let it reboot.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But can you connect to the Internet? i.e. it's just an iTunes Store problem? Can you even 'surf' the iTunes Store for music or apps?

Tim

OP
slothead

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Yes Tim, I can connect to iTunes, surf the iTunes store, buy and download stuff, and of course connect to the i'net, but whenever I try to "update" any app, I get the message that I "can't connect to the iTunes store."

And by the way Tim, we had a great time in the UK, especially Edinburgh. Fantastic place, people, architecture!

Last edited:
OP
slothead

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Interesting Tim. I don't have Ship Finder, but there must be a subroutine (or call, or line of code, whatever you want to call it) that Ship Finder uses that compromises the iTunes Store process. And I'll bet it's embedded in whatever app I recently downloaded. Now it seems that I will need to see what I downloaded most recently and remove it to see if fixes the problem. I'll report what I find.

Oh, wait a minute, there are more pages!!! Let me go read some more.

OK, so there's a list of potentially causative apps (Ship Finder, Sylvan Archive, Pee Monkey - didn't keep track of what else...), but here's the catch for me... I have two iPads a "1" and a 2, and the "1" is missing the latest OS upgrade, and by the way, it has the same apps on it and it works fine! I really believe that the latest OS upgrade - in concert with the latest app I downloaded is the root of the problem (since I think it worked fine after I upgraded - until recently). Another possibility is that I should reinstall the 4.3.5... is there a way to do that?

Thanks,

Last edited:

aliceneow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.mytrove.wordpress.com
I'm experiencing this problem with my iPad2 now, since I changed my Apple ID last night. My version is the latest, 5.1.1 I think. Did the hard reset twice but the same message about not able to connect to iTunes Store kept appearing. What shall I do?

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On impacted device open iTunes, then turn OFF not put in sleep mode the impacted device. Do this by long pressing the power button until the power down slider appears then swipe right through the bar and your device will shut down. A small spinning icon will appear in the middle of your display and will remain visible for a moment or more depending on the amount of housecleaning required for the controlled shutdown. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS, be patient as in some isolated cases housecleaning can run for 2-3 minutes, especially if it has been an extended period of time since the last power cycle of your device. Once the icon vanishes your device is in a powered down state.

Once your device is powered down press and hold the home button, and while you continue to keep the home button pressed, use your provided cable and connect the impacted device to your PC. If you continue to keep the button pressed and are attached via cable to your PC as described above your PC version of iTunes will power on your device and make it ready for restore.

Restore your device then test iTunes connectivity on the restored device.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I presume everyone has tried this but to be sure....

settings/store/Apple ID

if user is displayed sign out and sign back in then test again

If no user ID displayed sign in and test again

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One last comment....

This issue is rather widespread but is not universal. Numerous threads have been opened and remain under discussion in the Apple support forums and other Mac communities including here.

Some have resolved their issue by deleting one of several specific apps on their device as described by the link supplied by Tim Spracklin earlier in the thread. Others by signing in and out via general/store/apple ID and others by restoring.

In short their is no single working fix and the issue remains unresolved for many.

Most reactions

Latest posts