What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPod app stopped working - PLEASE help...

cm24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I've had my iPad for about a month and a half... NO PROBLEMS... I'm the poster child for iPad and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT....

BUT now, I'm having a problem...

The iPod app is no longer working. It just acts like it is going to open and then doesn't. It shuts off immediately and takes me to the home screen.

Anyone else had this problem? Should I "restore to default settings"? If so, will I have to re-download everything??

PLEASE HELP

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You mean the iPod software inside your iPad?

Hm, one of your music, video or podcast files may be corrupted causing a crash?
I would deselect all your music, videos and podcasts in iTunes, sync (to remove from the iPad) then check that it opens reliably. Then reselect and resync a little at a time until you find the file that is causing the crash.

Good luck.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I've had my iPad for about a month and a half... NO PROBLEMS... I'm the poster child for iPad and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT....

BUT now, I'm having a problem...

The iPod app is no longer working. It just acts like it is going to open and then doesn't. It shuts off immediately and takes me to the home screen.

Anyone else had this problem? Should I "restore to default settings"? If so, will I have to re-download everything??

PLEASE HELP

I guess we are a little confused on what you mean. Z
sometimes holding down the on off button and home key until you see the apple logo may fix it otherwise. Do as stated above

regards col

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I also am unsure what you mean, but the first thing to try is a reboot

Hold the on/off switch and the main button until you see the little slider, slide it and wait while your iPad shuts fully off. Then press and hold the on/off button until you see the Apple logo...... After it boots back up your problem may be solved. I agree with others that it sound like a corrupt file, or perhaps a memory leak issue.

If that works thank us, so we know it worked, if it does not help give us more information and check out Apple - Support - iPad

Oh, and sorry you came to us under these circumstances, but welcome to the forum :)

OP
C

cm24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much! I will try that...

But yes, I mean on the bottom... the software to click to access iPod just automatically shuts off every time I select it...

All of this did happen when I sync'd some photos... Could be a corruption there perhaps???

I'm hoping a hard reboot (or whatever it's called) will work for me :( I miss my music!!

I'll let you know how it goes - THANK YOU!! ya'll are GREAT!

ScrewTheDaisies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just started having this problem, too - both Soundhound and the iPod app were crashing when I opened them. I found a solution on a couple other forums: open your Videos app. You don't even have to play a video, just open it, wait for it to fully load, then close it. You should have no problems opening the iPod app after that. Strange, but whatever works....

Now if I could just get the iPod app to sort the albums for any given artist alphabetically (like it does on my iPhone and iTunes) instead of by release date....

OP
C

cm24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WOW ScrewTheDaises!!! That worked perfectly!! I opened up the video app then the iPod app started working again!

Will this continue to happen tho??

Thanks ALL for your suggestions.... SO GLAD Im here!

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
WOW ScrewTheDaises!!! That worked perfectly!! I opened up the video app then the iPod app started working again!

Will this continue to happen tho??

Thanks ALL for your suggestions.... SO GLAD Im here!

Cool tip - home run ScrewTheDaises!

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I've never had that problem, but if I do now I know what to do!

That is a strange workaround though.... I trust Apple is aware of it and will be fixed in the update......

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could it be possible that you've shut down the video app without shutting the video it was playing at the time?

Since the iPad is not a multi tasker, my feeling is that you must properly shut down any app before moving on. It's only a feeling.

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could it be possible that you've shut down the video app without shutting the video it was playing at the time?

Since the iPad is not a multi tasker, my feeling is that you must properly shut down any app before moving on. It's only a feeling.

Well,
Each app is supposed to do minimal cleanup when you leave it.

You will notice this in some games. You were in mid game action, and hit the home button. When you start the game back up, often you are not at the same spot, instantly continuing play.
You instead find yourself at a screen offering the choice of starting a new game or resuming the one you were in.

So, if an app does its proper interruption cleanup there should be no problem.

But I think you may be on the right track here.
The app may NOT be closing out right, and
you might indeed need to shut the video down before you quit the app.

ScrewTheDaisies

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I had never opened the video app until I had to open it to get the iPod app working again--it didn't even have any videos synced to it. So I don't think that's the problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts