What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got my iPad. Have a few questions!

weaselnoze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, i love this forum!

i got the 16GB wifi ipad running 3.2.1 and i'm already jailbroken

1) I know there are differences between chargers but shouldnt i be able to charge using a standard Apple USB cable attached to the computer? I also tried a standard Apple iPhone charger and it also won't charge. I also tried a generic iphone AC charger and that too won't charge the iPad. . .

2) Where are all the standard iPhone apps like Calculator, Voice Recorder, etc.? does this thing even have a mic?

3) Where are all the popular apps for iPhone like Facebook, Slacker Radio etc.?? i realize some apps are only for iPhone and CAN be run on the iPad, but did they really NOT make a Facebook app specifically for the iPad??

Thanks in advance!

P.S. after writing this thread, my iPad battery went up 1% while plugged into the computer. It still says 'Not Charging' though. Does this just mean it's not charging to it's full potential?

ravynshadow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try an app called u and facebook for iPad, in the iPad manual it says some computers may not charge the iPad using USB and the USB doesn't have enough power to charge the iPad while the screen is on. From what I understand calculator will be included in the ios4 update I could be wrong though

Jimboo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A lot of the apps that are for iPad like Facebook, and other social networking sites have been bundled into a app that has more than one site built in... Check out the app store for all of the latest ones because new ones come out like everyday

AntinOz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, i love this forum!

i got the 16GB wifi ipad running 3.2.1 and i'm already jailbroken

1) I know there are differences between chargers but shouldnt i be able to charge using a standard Apple USB cable attached to the computer? I also tried a standard Apple iPhone charger and it also won't charge. I also tried a generic iphone AC charger and that too won't charge the iPad. . .

The standard charger (and some computer ports) will only charge the iPad when the screen is off.
2) Where are all the standard iPhone apps like Calculator, Voice Recorder, etc.? does this thing even have a mic?
Yes it does have a microphone, on the top by the headphone socket. Standard apps (well some of them) are supposedly coming with iOS4, otherwise look in the appstore

3) Where are all the popular apps for iPhone like Facebook, Slacker Radio etc.?? i realize some apps are only for iPhone and CAN be run on the iPad, but did they really NOT make a Facebook app specifically for the iPad??

That would be up to Facebook or a third party developer, Apple don't typically write the social networking apps for these things. I am sure someone will come up with one soon. I am using Flipbook at the moment to read facebook and twitter.

nthnm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm able to charge my iPad with my iPhone charger, though I can't charge my iPad through my USB port (I'm using the one on my keyboard so I suspect that is why).
There are many free apps that will perform calculator, etc functions for you.
While I believe you're able to use the iPhone/iPod Facebook app, I didn't even sync it to my iPad. You can either use touch.facebook.com (I believe that's what it is - it's a step above the mobile Facebook site) or the full facebook.com site. I actually prefer the website version of Facebook - it has so much more functionality than the apps.

Anfield800

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MOST usb outlets can't.

In point of fact, 10 watts is only 2 amps via USB (5volts) so any new Mac or reasonably high performance PC should have a USB socket rated a 2 amps.

But the best way, to be sure, is with the mains charger.

ivanmarkchang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you're right. i stand corrected :p

do you know anything about usb extensions? i'm wondering if having 10ft of usb extension will cause a significant decrease in power transfer.

Anfield800

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not an expert but I understand that the maximum length is 5m. Any more than that would result in a drop in voltage. I've just ordered a 2m extension rather than any longer, to avoid such problems. 10ft should be ok.

Most reactions

Latest posts