What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Wi Fi Hardly works and at my wits end. Please Help

CheekyIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a New Linksys WRT120 Wireless Router. Set up with compatible security settings.

Have reset iPad to factory settings, set it as new.

3 calls to Apple and Apple store has exchanged it for a new one twice (second time yesterday).

No cordless phones, house is a small two bedroom bungalo with furnished basement. The router is on my desk in the basement.

Even in my room in the basement I only get connection half the time. Upstairs when trying to just sit in front of the tv, chat, surf and so on I have to do a balancing act to try and get connection. Turn left, balance it on the arm of the couch, or turning right and balancing it in my knee and sometimes get a connection, though you look at it the wrong way and it's gone. I can never get a connection just sitting on my lap.

I bought it for going back to school but had a low signal there too, but only tried it once there, 2 bars.

I want to be able to sit in the couch, lay in my bed and connect to the internet when I want without the balancing act or getting frustrated a giving up.

Any help Greatly appreciated. I don't know what else to do, Apple said with a new wireless N router, no cordless phone ect, there shouldn't be a reason for no connection, which is why they replaced it. (3rd iPad same problem) But still same problem and I am really frustrated!

I can't see it being the router, but am wondering if I should replace it. I don't know what else to do.

Thank you

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Easy solution, if u have a windows mobile phone, u can just get a wifi tethering app to use. Thats what i do. My phone is tilt2 windows mobile 6.5.1. I use the xda wifi tethering app. My ipad automaticalyy connects everytime with great signal coverage anywhere in my apt. Android phones have tethering apps also. Mines a free app.
Only other thing i can think of is that u need to reconfigure from the router side somehow, or just by one of those wifi signal boosters that go inbetween the router n pc. Ive seen em for sale. My only internet connection is thru my mobile phone. I get great speeds. I already have 6 fulllenght movies n 100 apps downloaded over 3g. Less thn an hr to download 700mb file with adownloader. Pretty decent if i say so to be tethered wirelessly to ky phone.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it could be your router! I know Linksys (Cisco) makes good stuff, but a bad one could have slipped through QC. I have a $20 D-Link 802.11n router that works great with all of my iDevices.

OP
C

CheekyIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I have an iPhone though. How would the tethering work, off the 3G? Cause on wi fi the cell and iPad are coming from the same router.

Maybe I will call Linksys and see what they can suggest. Do you think a booster would work, shouldn't the router send enough signal for a small house? (or on the same floor for that matter)

Thanks. I appreciate any input.

Easy solution, if u have a windows mobile phone, u can just get a wifi tethering app to use. Thats what i do. My phone is tilt2 windows mobile 6.5.1. I use the xda wifi tethering app. My ipad automaticalyy connects everytime with great signal coverage anywhere in my apt. Android phones have tethering apps also. Mines a free app.
Only other thing i can think of is that u need to reconfigure from the router side somehow, or just by one of those wifi signal boosters that go inbetween the router n pc. Ive seen em for sale. My only internet connection is thru my mobile phone. I get great speeds. I already have 6 fulllenght movies n 100 apps downloaded over 3g. Less thn an hr to download 700mb file with adownloader. Pretty decent if i say so to be tethered wirelessly to ky phone.

OP
C

CheekyIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually this is the second router the first was faulty so I replaced it for the same one. The first wouldn't set up at all. (I had had it for a little while, but still have the reciept)

I also need a router that is Mac compatible, meaning I can set it up on my desktop Mac.

Well, it could be your router! I know Linksys (Cisco) makes good stuff, but a bad one could have slipped through QC. I have a $20 D-Link 802.11n router that works great with all of my iDevices.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You right, ur router should pump out enuff signal strength. Not sure what it could be other thn somethng in the settings of router or router bad. Router gets good signal with other wireless devices? Iphone has some tethering apps out. I beleive u have to jaibreak ur phone first though. Then afterwards just download the wireless tethering app. They even have the app to use ur iphone as a camera for ur ipad. ;-).

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...shouldn't the router send enough signal for a small house? (or on the same floor for that matter)
I live on 3 acres and my "cheap" router is in the "man cave" in the corner of the house indicated by the red arrow and I have good coverage over my whole property. I listen to streaming audio on my iPod Touch while cutting grass and I have no dropouts anywhere. Sounds like your issue is with your router, not your iPad.

ourhouse.jpg

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try running some wifi analysis tools on your main machine to test for signal quality and local interference.
I suggest inSSIDer which is free for win machines but don't know a mac equivalent. This will soon tell you if you have router problems.

There have been quite a few threads on these forums regarding wifi connection problems which are worth checking out for suggestions.

Agree with C4 though, the wifi range is excellent on my pad, but that could just be the combination of cheap taiwanese router and it's siteing.

OP
C

CheekyIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does it mean to jailbreak the iPhone?

Thanks for the info on the app for using the iPhone camera for the iPad. Any idea what it would be called? I looked for it and the tethering app but couldn't find them.

You right, ur router should pump out enuff signal strength. Not sure what it could be other thn somethng in the settings of router or router bad. Router gets good signal with other wireless devices? Iphone has some tethering apps out. I beleive u have to jaibreak ur phone first though. Then afterwards just download the wireless tethering app. They even have the app to use ur iphone as a camera for ur ipad. ;-).

OP
C

CheekyIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I am calling Linksys for sure and taking it back to exchange it. After knowing how much range you get, my situation is even more pathetic.

Can anyone recommend a router? The one I bought cost about $59 (Canadian) so looking to spend the same and needs to be able to connect to my desktop Mac.

Thanks

...shouldn't the router send enough signal for a small house? (or on the same floor for that matter)
I live on 3 acres and my "cheap" router is in the "man cave" in the corner of the house indicated by the red arrow and I have good coverage over my whole property. I listen to streaming audio on my iPod Touch while cutting grass and I have no dropouts anywhere. Sounds like your issue is with your router, not your iPad.

Last edited:
OP
C

CheekyIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will check for the threads and look into the analysis tools thanks.

Try running some wifi analysis tools on your main machine to test for signal quality and local interference.
I suggest inSSIDer which is free for win machines but don't know a mac equivalent. This will soon tell you if you have router problems.

There have been quite a few threads on these forums regarding wifi connection problems which are worth checking out for suggestions.

Agree with C4 though, the wifi range is excellent on my pad, but that could just be the combination of cheap taiwanese router and it's siteing.

dsefton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This should do it.

The easiest and cheapest way to improve your signal is to make a parabolic reflector. Go to Google with "wifi parabolic reflector" to get a template it is the first listing. I've used this, and it improved the signal dramatically. It only takes minutes, and will cost nothing. The router manufacturers should supply their kit with them, in my opinion.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does it mean to jailbreak the iPhone?

Thanks for the info on the app for using the iPhone camera for the iPad. Any idea what it would be called? I looked for it and the tethering app but couldn't find them.

The app is called camera A and camera B. One app goes on iphone, costs .99 and the other is free which goes on ipad. They connect wirelessly thru wifi or bluetooth. There are more but thats a popular one. As far as the tethering apps for iphone go, i believe it needs to be jailbrake. Then u get tethering apps from Cydia(jailbrake store that pops up immediately after u jailbrake). There are diffent ways to jailbrake. Research em if interested.
That one guys gets great coverage for his property.

LGgeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
didn't see it here but assume you've gone to starbucks or somewhere to eliminate that it might be iPad. My house has one wall that has steel rebar and concrete in it,
I use airport extreme base station and have airport express scattered around the property.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
didn't see it here but assume you've gone to starbucks or somewhere to eliminate that it might be iPad.
McDonalds also has free WiFi. You might want to consider downloading a free WiFi finder program like this one -- Wi-Fi Finder App for iPhone - JiWire.com (It says its for iPhone, but it works fine on the iPad. All that means is that it does not fill the whole screen like "HD" apps)

Most reactions

Latest posts