1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Wi-Fi router recommendation

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by chisaki, Jul 26, 2010.

1. chisaki

chisaki iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My present router is a D-Link DI-614+. It is about 10 years old and is not supported by D-Link any longer. It is 802.11b only.

I plan on replacing it with a new, faster router. I have 4 remote devices connected by wire and a PS-3 connected by Wi-Fi. I will be receiving my iPad soon and it will make a second Wi-Fi connection. I have a cable modem, it is very fast 25mb/s +.

What would be the best router for my needs? I want to get the fastest/best, price is not a problem.

TIA,
    Chisaki
  2. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Really, just about any 802.11n router will do. What you get as the price goes up is a stronger signal over a wider area. Now that being said, I have a D-Link DIR615 802.11n router that was on sale for $20 from Best Buy. Now you really can't go cheaper than that!

We live on 3 acres and the router is in the "man cave" as indicated by the red arrow.

[​IMG]

When I mow the law (on a tractor of course), I use my iPod Touch to listen to streaming audio and there are NO dropouts anywhere and the iPod (which is a 2nd generation) only works at 802.11g!

The moral of the story is that you should get a "decent" router, but for home use, there is no sense in going over board. Save your money for all those cool apps!