What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropping Wi-Fi signal

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found I had this problem when I forgot to turn off cellular data on coming home...turning it off solved it.

andyc12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have already re-booted my router and iPad. Mobile data is also off. Weird problem.....

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My router started giving me problems with dropping signals for the last week, week and a half. Tried a direct plug and it would wipe out all of a sudden. knew TW was working up the street. Called them. Someone had done something to our line in installing cable to the apartments next door...they rewired on it on Sunday morning for me, and on the ping test said something was still irregular with our feed into the house. Tech came today, and we discovered part of the problem was the cord going from my splitter to the modem was failing. I needed a shorter one anyway because a long cord will cause "bleeding" of your speed, etc. On a long line. He made me a short cable because you can't buy them that short and checked my feed and gave me an updated splitter....it was just one little cable causing some of my problems. So maybe you should check that. I have a TV tuner on my CPU so I can watch TV there should I want. You have to split the cable, one side for TV tuner, the other to the router. No more drops and speed is back up to what it should be. AND didn't charge me.

Reaction score
Same problem here, ipad 2. works ok if in same room as router, but around house it drops intermittently, other wifi systems are connected ok.
this is my first venture into apple, am frustrated that the apple site does not deal with what seems to be a common problem.

WGR11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Wifi signals drop out due to multipal signals of variuos divices and routers of other houses nearbye! When losing the signal try searching for other conections and if you find others with stronger signals then this may be the problem! Also check your router as some dont have a good range and may not work well in homes where the construction of the walls is of solid material, may be worth up grading this if you are looking to remove the problem or lookinh to improve web surfing and steaming times on sites like youtube!

Hope this helps!

Cardinal Pilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too, have been having this problem. Virtually every time I open iPad2, I have to go to Settings, Wi-Fi, and Renew Lease to get the internet connections to work. Sometimes even in the middle of a session, I will have to go back to Settings and Renew.
I am using a 64GB AT&T (but have never activated the cellular function), Version 4.3.5 (8L1). Seems to me the last system update I did is when my problems started.
I have rebooted the iPad and the Router (a Qwest modem/Router combined). I do have a WiFi connection on the Xbox in the same room about 25' from the router. Could this be causing interference? I have not had any problem using a WiFi laptop in that same room.

WGR11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its possible that other devices can interfere if there used at the same time near each other! I only have problems when my ipad picks up other routers when i move around my home. Try using your x box via a wired conection this may solve the problem and should be faster for gaming etc!

Hope this helps! Other advice would be to go to your local apple shop and discuss with them!

andyc12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm now thinking this may be hub related, I have tried 2 hubs, the BT home hub 3 gives me this problem but with my old BT hub 2 the iPad works fine ! Not sure what is going on with the new hub but am connecting the iPad to the old one for now.

MisterT01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a personal iPad1 and an iPad2 provided by work. My iPad1 shows a wi-fi signal but is not able to connect to the Internet or get mail. It just suddenly stopped working, but my iPad2 has remained fine. I have renewed lease, rebooted, forgot networks and reset them, still no luck. I have trawled through this thread but can't find any answers. Any ideas?

gplain58

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not sure if we're talking the same reset but under "General", bottom of page Reset to next page "reset ALL settings" ? This worked like a champ for my Ipad2 wifi problems as you've mentioned. It DOES NOT dump data btw.

MisterT01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gplain58 said:
not sure if we're talking the same reset but under "General", bottom of page Reset to next page "reset ALL settings" ? This worked like a champ for my Ipad2 wifi problems as you've mentioned. It DOES NOT dump data btw.

Just tried that. Still no luck.

RCraig34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to add my similar experiences to this thread, too. My problems began the day i upgraded to 5.1.1. I don't want to downgrade, as apps don't work then. what to do...what to do???

quake5254

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 2 linksys wifi routers in the house and I don't have problems regarding wifi dropping or slowing down.

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folks here seem to suffer from the problem I did too. My solution was to increase the lease time of the DHCP router to the maximum. Or at least a couple of days instead of the few hours it was by default in my router.

Sent from my SGS Classic using iPad Forums
No more, no less...

lv4maddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
theTimo said:
Folks here seem to suffer from the problem I did too. My solution was to increase the lease time of the DHCP router to the maximum. Or at least a couple of days instead of the few hours it was by default in my router.

Sent from my SGS Classic using iPad Forums
No more, no less...

How do I increase the lease time?

Most reactions