Dropping Wi-Fi signal

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Fabwab, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Fabwab

Fabwab iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Please help

Due to a motor accident I have been housebound for some weeks. I have been using my home wireless network to allow me to access the Internet from my I-pad. Recently it has started to drop the connection on a pretty regular basis which is most frustrating. The only way I can get it back on is to go to Setting, then Wi-Fi, then network and then clicking on 'Renew Lease'.

I have tried reinstalling the network and it seems that all is ok with the connection (when it is connected it works fine). The other computers on the network, all wireless, are not experiencing any problems at all. Problem will occur even when I am the only person accessing the network.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Fabwab
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    When it drops the signal, if you go to 'Settings', 'WiFi' can you see the WiFi signal there? Have you got your iPad set up to automatically join 'known networks'?

Tim
  3. andyc12

andyc12 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same problem here.....
  4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Do you have your WiFi set to automatically join known networks?

Tim
  5. andyc12

andyc12 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes it's set to auto join. The signal just disappears and it will say "no mobile data connection available" as it's turned off when I'm at home and then a box comes up listing my router (a new BT home hub) I click connect, and the box comes back up several times. Sometimes it connects other times it asks for the password to be entered.
  6. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    That's strange because, if it's set to auto-join known networks I can't understand why it's asking you if you want to join - it's a known network.

One trick that has helped a number of users is to go to 'Settings', 'WiFi' and tell it to forget all network connections and then enter them again.

Tim
  7. andyc12

andyc12 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Tim, have tried that mate, have reset the iPad, got the auto brightness turned off as suggested on apples site. I have tested with other wireless gadgets and when the iPad has lost it's connection the others have kept connected. Very strange. I love the iPad but as already stated it's very annoying when it keeps loosing the connection. It took 15 mins to write my first post on this thread as it kept bombing out just as I got to click send !

It is a known network and that's what I find strange, why would it ask to enter the password 3 times in the space of 20 mins !

Cheers
    Andy
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  8. Fabwab

Fabwab iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tim, thanks for the help but, as Andy is finding out nothing seems to sort out this problem. Everything seems to be set up correctly but the fault just keeps returning. New problem that may be connected and which has now occurred twice is that whilst browsing the screen dims and whilst you can change sites you can neither expand the page size nor will any of the links work. The only way you can get it back is to click on the reset button in settings and then re-assign the network. Annoying
  9. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    You can tell I'm running out of ideas on this one, but one last thing to try is a reboot - which may clear things out a bit. Switch the iPad off and then press and hold the Power and Home buttons together until the white Apple logo appears - it takes a time - and then let the iPad reboot. See if that fixes the problem.

Tim
  10. saphire

saphire iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I am having the same problems on Ipads 1 and 2 I am on my laptop using wifi but both ipads won't connect although they are showing as being connected. The Wifi just stopped responding last night I have done full resets on both with no joy.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  11. MisterT01

MisterT01 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When you do this do you lose all your data? Is it like restoring factory settings?
  12. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    No, everything is as it was before, so all your data is safe.

The Archangel
  13. dingdong

dingdong iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same problem here - my iPad 1 suddenly stopped seeing the WiFi even though nothing has changed in the house and all the other computers are still getting a strong signal. Wary of renewing lease, or renewing network settings without first finding out exactly what gets erased. Unfortunately the manual isn't clear on this....which is why I'm here looking for answers!
  14. Harley man

Harley man iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    As Tim said I would hard reboot I pad and I would also hard reboot router .

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF
  15. Gianormo

Gianormo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the same problem and have tried the solutions offered. One thing I have noticed is that the problem is particularly bad when my son is using the Internet from his laptop at the same time.
  16. Wokiebear

Wokiebear iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I found I had this problem when I forgot to turn off cellular data on coming home...turning it off solved it.
  17. andyc12

andyc12 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have already re-booted my router and iPad. Mobile data is also off. Weird problem.....
  18. Wokiebear

Wokiebear iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My router started giving me problems with dropping signals for the last week, week and a half. Tried a direct plug and it would wipe out all of a sudden. knew TW was working up the street. Called them. Someone had done something to our line in installing cable to the apartments next door...they rewired on it on Sunday morning for me, and on the ping test said something was still irregular with our feed into the house. Tech came today, and we discovered part of the problem was the cord going from my splitter to the modem was failing. I needed a shorter one anyway because a long cord will cause "bleeding" of your speed, etc. On a long line. He made me a short cable because you can't buy them that short and checked my feed and gave me an updated splitter....it was just one little cable causing some of my problems. So maybe you should check that. I have a TV tuner on my CPU so I can watch TV there should I want. You have to split the cable, one side for TV tuner, the other to the router. No more drops and speed is back up to what it should be. AND didn't charge me.
  19. shirleyinroseville

shirleyinroseville iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same problem here, ipad 2. works ok if in same room as router, but around house it drops intermittently, other wifi systems are connected ok.
    this is my first venture into apple, am frustrated that the apple site does not deal with what seems to be a common problem.
  20. WGR11

WGR11 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi

Wifi signals drop out due to multipal signals of variuos divices and routers of other houses nearbye! When losing the signal try searching for other conections and if you find others with stronger signals then this may be the problem! Also check your router as some dont have a good range and may not work well in homes where the construction of the walls is of solid material, may be worth up grading this if you are looking to remove the problem or lookinh to improve web surfing and steaming times on sites like youtube!

Hope this helps!