What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad vs laptop

mark II

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.markhschneider.com
I have used both an iPad and Asus laptop to take notes and while the iPad has its novel features, true note taking is best acomplished with a laptop. I've tried playing with office documents but it just doens't feel right... being able to work with documents off a flash drive is also an issue... I love to use all three devices which tends to get a laugh but work quite well. iPhone running "Recorder Pro", Laptop to type notes, iPad to draw any neccessary diagrams or pull up .pdf of the textbook. If you could only have a laptop or iPad? I'd have to say laptop :eek:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad can take notes, make documents, n more. Get Pages app or office 2.

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For what im really trying to do an ipad 2 is the best of both worlds to me

Mipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have a Toshiba Laptop (14'') it's 3to4 times thicker than this new Ipad2, not to talk about the weight and extras to keep with me (bag, mouse, cable)

i used it in an airport and i use it in a bed (no double senses :)) in both cases it's too heavy

yes with a Laptop you can do everything and with an Ipad you can not do it
but what do you wanna do in an Airport or in a bed ?

i doubt heavy stuff (photoshopping? 3d modelling? play the latest 3d games ??)
nah, read news (i do read a lot of news from tech to sport to science to curiosity), partecipate in forums, watch video streams online, use skype with my family in another country, follow sport scores, manage some of my docs, going to get books (kindle?) on it about the things-hobbies i like, play some kill-time games (cards-chess-bejeweld etc), listen to some music (mp3s), online radios, + battery lasts 10 hours while my laptop lasts from 2 to 3 hours

for my home experience wins the laptop
for my away experience wins an instrument like the Ipad (and not even a smartphone because it's too small 1) to watch 2) to write)

PS: what about the MacBook Air ? well i still prefer the 'one piece' over the 'two pieces', and an Air is anyways 'handicapped' compared to a proper laptop

(No mouse=touch, No Keyboard=touch, Win/Evolution)

:)

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Weight is the key factor.
After a day carrying the laptop around I feel lopsided........

Get that notetaking app where you can write with your finger while it records the audio at the same time. You need more, you're not paying attention :)

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to have both as I don't have a desktop at home, just my work provided laptop.

Being a college professor, I do a ton of writing, data analysis etc. and have to have a full computer for that work. That said, I never carry my laptop around other than when on business trips (and I'll mostly still need it on those as I usually have to do real work I couldn't do on a tablet).

iPad will just be for reading, net surfing, games, streaming video etc.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use both, actually I use all three

as I have an Asus Netbook, an iPad2 and a MacBook Pro. They are different tools for different reasons altogether. The loser in that three way competition for me is the Netbook which I rarely use since I bought my original iPad.

DQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mark II said:
I have used both an iPad and Asus laptop to take notes and while the iPad has its novel features, true note taking is best acomplished with a laptop. I've tried playing with office documents but it just doens't feel right... being able to work with documents off a flash drive is also an issue... I love to use all three devices which tends to get a laugh but work quite well. iPhone running "Recorder Pro", Laptop to type notes, iPad to draw any neccessary diagrams or pull up .pdf of the textbook. If you could only have a laptop or iPad? I'd have to say laptop :eek:

As much as I love my iPad, as a writer I find a pencil and paper the best thing for taking notes.

Mstealth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Office app for Ipad is really cool. I am using it and I love my Ipad.

DQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mark II said:

Pencil and paper works best for me.

cypress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i rarely use my laptop as it is right now, and once i get the ipad i think it will become all but obsolete.

i wanna get a macbook pro though.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
alma111 said:
have something you can upgrade rather than replace, as technology improves, then you will want a laptop.

How many people upgrade their laptop, most people will replace as technology improves. Same as iPad. Your argument would be more valid for a desktop.

For me each device has its strengths and weakness, I don't really see it as a vesus thing, they are different devices that you use for different things.

syntaxkita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad for convenience and portability and my Macbook for portability

Most reactions

Latest posts